What's new

COVID-19 Boots on the ground reports, what is happening in your town?

H G Griffin

If the idea of wearing a mask is to protect those around you and they’re not wearing masks, it almost seems pointless. Time to break out the n95. Every man for himself.

I've been wearing a fit-tested 3M half mask respirator for months. It directs my exhalations down so it does provide some protection for others, but I wear it to protect ME.

I got tired of being enraged every time I leave my home by assholes who were endangering me by not following law, medical advice and common human decency.

Now I wear my 1/2 mask, carry my sanitizer, and walk among the assholes. Instead of rage, now I just have a quiet contempt and a hope that they all receive the instant karma they so richly deserve.

I do unto others as they do unto me. I have empathy for those who respect others and apathy for those who don't.

Im'One

Two of my older colleagues got their first shot.
My daughters friend in Memphis passed away, his daughter is a long hauler with symptoms lingering
I found out I narrowly missed getting the virus from a parent of a client who came to the school with his infected friend, I met with them for over an hour in a conference room. He was is a trumpet. Said the virus kicked his a$$ and he has a swollen foot that won't go down.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Back in April (before the mask mandate in my state) people were just advised to wear them and the issue had already been politicized. I went into a gas station where maybe 1/3 of the people there had their face covered. These two girls were chatting to their friend working there and noticed me walking in. As I stood in line behind them the one turned and looked at me, whispered something to her friend, laughed, spun around and intentionally coughed on me, then turned back to her friend and laughed some more. It honestly caught me off gaurd and I quickly paid for my stuff. I took off before I could process it and react. Some folks are just plain nuts, much less selfish.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Back in April (before the mask mandate in my state) people were just advised to wear them and the issue had already been politicized. I went into a gas station where maybe 1/3 of the people there had their face covered. These two girls were chatting to their friend working there and noticed me walking in. As I stood in line behind them the one turned and looked at me, whispered something to her friend, laughed, spun around and intentionally coughed on me, then turned back to her friend and laughed some more. It honestly caught me off gaurd and I quickly paid for my stuff. I took off before I could process it and react. Some folks are just plain nuts, much less selfish.
What did you expect good buddy? We are living in a world of me, myself and I. :frown:

G

Two of my older colleagues got their first shot.
My daughters friend in Memphis passed away, his daughter is a long hauler with symptoms lingering
I found out I narrowly missed getting the virus from a parent of a client who came to the school with his infected friend, I met with them for over an hour in a conference room. He was is a trumpet. Said the virus kicked his a$$ and he has a swollen foot that won't go down.

Don't know how long ago that was, IO, but re-entry into Alaska requires 2 tests, in succession, not simultaneous, 5 to 14 days from the first test, whether the first test has been processed properly or not.

The reason being variable incubation time for detection from infection to "Uh-oh..."

You may want to re-test, if you're able.

Getting off the aircraft, and everyone bunched up, ironically, waiting for the screening/testing process, and while the lanes are relatively wide, a young woman, maybe early 20s, walks right up past me (I'm in line), and placed herself in the middle of the 6' space I'd gauged between myself and the persons who HAD been immediately in front of me.

(Non-residents are reportedly being charged $250 for the service, and residents are given the process for free, btw).

"Excuse me." I said audibly enough to get my voice outside my masks and shield. No response. I said it again. No response still. So I back up a bit to increase space, and meanwhile this woman behind me is busily staring at her super important texts, walking right up on my ass, so I shift to the side of the wide lane in order to use what ever I have to increase space, at which point she moves HER rolling luggage right up to behind the young woman who stepped in front of me.

This dance persists for a short while, and I'm having another recurrence of the panic attacks that have come of late (other issues, confounded by masks that are effective).

Ultimately, in disgust and bewilderment, I exclaimed, fairly loudly, "WHAT THE FUCK???!!! You step in front of me, take my space and narrow the distance I have to 2-3 ft. at most, meanwhile you're crawling up my ass every time I try to maintain distance??"

Woman behind me mumbling at that point, and I think she said, "Well, you seemed to know what you were doing."

Huh???

"Well, you DAMNED sure didn't."

By the time I got to the screeners and testers, I told them I was readying myself to spend the night in jail on an assault charge. I figured that if these miscreants believe it is their right to give me something, I can reciprocate by gifting them something as well.

Last edited:

Im'One

That happens to me every time I go to a store in My home town...get out of line, step back, get back in line get crowded, get out of line start over.

Gry

Veteran
Seems clear to me why morality is a seldom used term in our society.
Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World (Lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE

"What A Wonderful World"

I see trees of green
Red roses too
I see them bloom
For me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

I see skies of blue
And clouds of white
The bright blessed day
The dark sacred night
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

The colors of the rainbow
So pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces
Of people going by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying
"I love you"

I hear babies cry
I watch them grow
They'll learn much more
Than I'll never know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

Yes, I think to myself
What a wonderful world

Oh yeah

G

We went back into a form of shutdown here in mid-December. Since then, in spite of the holiday season, new cases have gone from 2000+/day provincially to ~700.

Yet still selfish assholes complain about restrictions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/15-covid-19-deaths-in-alberta-and-717-new-cases-1.5876538

I used to complain about my inoculations/vaccinations and restrictions while I was sick, too.. But I was between the ages of 3 and 9 when I did so..

Maybe these folks are just larger children?

JustSumTomatoes

I've never been a fan of needles and medical procedures in general, but there comes a point were you can either act like an adult or a toddler screaming and smearing shit all over their face. I love not having measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis b, polio, or small pox. Vaccines aren't just about protecting the individual but the community as a whole, especially those who are most vulnerable because of weakened immune systems or other health conditions. I guess I'm either preaching to the converted or talking to a wall, but needed to make my point.

G

I've never been a fan of needles and medical procedures in general, but there comes a point were you can either act like an adult or a toddler screaming and smearing shit all over their face. I love not having measles, rubella, mumps, hepatitis b, polio, or small pox. Vaccines aren't just about protecting the individual but the community as a whole, especially those who are most vulnerable because of weakened immune systems or other health conditions. I guess I'm either preaching to the converted or talking to a wall, but needed to make my point.

And in these cases, we're just talking about masks and distancing; no harpoons necessary to get some of these folks' panties in a bunch.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And in these cases, we're just talking about masks and distancing; no harpoons necessary to get some of these folks' panties in a bunch.

But it is a government operation to crank up their power over us. Can't you see? Just connect the coincidences....er I mean dots.

G

But it is a government operation to crank up their power over us. Can't you see? Just connect the coincidences....er I mean dots.

I know.

Yet, as a former activist, who's distrusted Gov. and dissected a fair bit of government dishonesty for going on 50 years, having witnessed their level of integrity, the whole mask, limiting trips, isolating at home (or ???), putting on gloves, sterilizing or sanitizing the items we bring into our home, etc., is the LEAST basis for any of the conspiracy theories that MIGHT be proven true later.

These folks who fear the masks as a control issue? Facial recognition tech, that was rolling out (no matter how laughable in its functioning), is NOT going to be benefitted by N95s.

Nitrile gloves barely let me wash my hands in the warehouse store's restroom because their sensors on the water and soap flow won't react to my gloves (so now I carry wipes in my vest to disinfect my gloved hands before and after), but nitrile gloves damned sure leave little trace of finger-prints.

Seems to me some of these paranoid folks might apply some actual logic to their fears, instead of throwing tantrums quite so loudly..

On the other hand, if you're unfortunate enough to have to be physically or electronically near them, and you're patient, or properly medicated, I can see where their demonstrations of development and suspect thinking capacity, -might- provide some free entertainment, too.

Last edited:

BudToaster

Veteran
Vaccines aren't just about protecting the individual but the community as a whole, especially those who are most vulnerable because of weakened immune systems or other health conditions.

it has not been proven that the vaccine protects the community - protects just the individual from getting symptoms/sick. can still get infected, can still spread, still need masks and distance.

G

it has not been proven that the vaccine protects the community - protects just the individual from getting symptoms/sick. can still get infected, can still spread, still need masks and distance.

Egg-zactly!!!!!!!!!!

There's some nit-wit on our local craigslist in the activities section (usually referencing hooking up), boasting that "The Rona's not gonna' slow down (his) dating scene, and he's had the 1st 2 shots."

Wow!!

Not only am I uncertain that he's had sufficient time since the start-up of vaxxing here to have received a 2nd shot, but the reports I've read state the vax only protects the recipients from severe symptoms in MOST cases, not all.

And they are still able to contract and spread.

Anyone recall what happened in terms of the New Normal where HIV and AIDS was concerned, once the more recent generation of HIV treatments or cocktails came out, post AZT?

Yep, lots of ignorant fucks determined it was no longer a serious disease, and we saw measurable spikes, typically related to unprotected high-risk sex, and sharing of used syringes (in or near a town that has at least ONE syringe exchange, and is also a source for free condoms, I'd add).

So, as we lemmings prepare to further demonstrate our reluctance to learn from the evidence surrounding us, we'll again dive in before the swimming pool is full, and pretend to be surprised when we fracture our proverbial necks hitting the bottom..

I can see this coming already. The signs are all present. Humans; lots of technology, but often with little connection to reality in too many cases.

JustSumTomatoes

A little bit of generalizing on my part, but yes you're right. At least with Covid, the vaccine alone is not enough to totally eradicate it --at least where it's at now in terms of effectiveness. A little common sense, and common curiosity go a long way on this one. But again, that's the issue at hand. A vaccine is a tool which can save lives just like mask wearing, sanitization, and social distancing.

They're not entirely sure how long the current vaccines will be effective for in terms of antibody production and retention, and how these newer mutated strains will respond. Nonetheless, reducing the severity of the illness and spread is a realistic short-term approach. The fewer with severe symptoms, the more that do have them can be better managed until recovery (not factoring in long-term damage.) In this respect it helps buffer the community from the negative impact.

Latest posts

Latest posts