What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Compound...

DunHav`nFun

Well Bro.... Let`s just think about this ok.....I`m tryin ta get you to visualize the obstacles to get past once the shelves are setup and you`ve got gutters constructed some kinda way behind each shelf top to bottom on all 4 sides of your quad...Not sure how or why this shit`s typin out in italics , but anyways.....back to building a manifold to go all the way around 4 sides as well as X amount of levels ALL tied together , with the feedtubes holding the individual feedlines sitting at least over the tops of the gutter setups so as to prevent/catch any potential leakage when said manifold is pressurized the first time... ok now.....

The only way I`ve come up with is to build the outside frames outta pvc using 4 way furniture fittings as the corners on each and every level at gutter height , and then use adapter fittings to connect pvc to flextube for the pieces that go across the tops of each gutter that you punch holes in and attach feedlines to....I tried and tried to build it on paper with flextubing and without 4 way corners it`s difficult....doable....but difficult.....that said.....PVC furniture fittings aint cheap and ball valves aint either , so budget beware.....

If you connect gutters all the way around the quad , we`ll haveta adapt and build to accommodate that , so see Bro.....without knowin what`s gonna be where , we just need to move forward and get there....and lastly this day.....comin outta that DAMN rez…..lol.....No bulkhead at the bottom.....You HAVE TO come straight above the pump "inside the rez" ABOVE solution level BUT still "inside the rez" and install the Tee with a short straight pc and an elbow hooked to that pointed straight back down at the solution ……then...…

Run a straight pc out of the rez and put an elbow on it ….. Put a 1' pc with a "ball valve" in the middle of that 1' , and another elbow pointed down on the end of that 1' piece.....now however long a straight pc you need to get to the floor and put an elbow on it , do that.....and then....Hook it to the bottom of your free standing manifold with whatever length needed to get to manifold and connect with a tee and you`re connected up , down , and all around...all that's left is to install ball valves underneath each level and turn on the pump to see how powerful it is so as to choke down flow with the main ball valve comin outta rez , then tweak each level accordingly…..aight....

Think about shit …..make decisions.....move forward....holler with your thoughts.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …...

Last edited:

swapmeet

Well Bro.... Let`s just think about this ok.....I`m tryin ta get you to visualize the obstacles to get past once the shelves are setup and you`ve got gutters constructed some kinda way behind each shelf top to bottom on all 4 sides of your quad...Not sure how or why this shit`s typin out in italics , but anyways.....back to building a manifold to go all the way around 4 sides as well as X amount of levels ALL tied together , with the feedtubes holding the individual feedlines sitting at least over the tops of the gutter setups so as to prevent/catch any potential leakage when said manifold is pressurized the first time... ok now.....

The only way I`ve come up with is to build the outside frames outta pvc using 4 way furniture fittings as the corners on each and every level at gutter height , and then use adapter fittings to connect pvc to flextube for the pieces that go across the tops of each gutter that you punch holes in and attach feedlines to....I tried and tried to build it on paper with flextubing and without 4 way corners it`s difficult....doable....but difficult.....that said.....PVC furniture fittings aint cheap and ball valves aint either , so budget beware.....

If you connect gutters all the way around the quad , we`ll haveta adapt and build to accommodate that , so see Bro.....without knowin what`s gonna be where , we just need to move forward and get there....and lastly this day.....comin outta that DAMN rez…..lol.....No bulkhead at the bottom.....You HAVE TO come straight above the pump "inside the rez" ABOVE solution level BUT still "inside the rez" and install the Tee with a short straight pc and an elbow hooked to that pointed straight back down at the solution ……then...…

Run a straight pc out of the rez and put an elbow on it ….. Put a 1' pc with a "ball valve" in the middle of that 1' , and another elbow pointed down on the end of that 1' piece.....now however long a straight pc you need to get to the floor and put an elbow on it , do that.....and then....Hook it to the bottom of your free standing manifold with whatever length needed to get to manifold and connect with a tee and you`re connected up , down , and all around...all that's left is to install ball valves underneath each level and turn on the pump to see how powerful it is so as to choke down flow with the main ball valve comin outta rez , then tweak each level accordingly…..aight....

Think about shit …..make decisions.....move forward....holler with your thoughts.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …...

Okay, I think I am getting a bit better understanding... This is just one rack, so for each quad, which is 4 racks set up in a square, this is the proposed manifold. If I make the corners tees, with ball valves on them, I can pressurize one rack at a time...which is good, because at the start I will be ramping up to speed/dialing one rack at a time as I build the clone factory and get it pumping... And if I need a bigger pump along the way, I can easily upgrade it.

It seems like I can pressurize the next rack, once the first rack is pressurized, by just opening the ball valve at the bottom left of the manifold....once it is pressurized, I can open the top left as well for better flow... just a thought..

Here is the rack manifold with the changes you've suggested as I see them. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

swapmeet

Two packages came in today...and I am excited about both. First is the next wave of genetics, and second is my new bong...

When the genetics came I put together a little labeling station with the required equipment , and I am now soaking about 50 seeds to bring to the party....

swapmeet

So now in this quest for mothers/phenos, we have

1. Northern Lights
2. Original Glue
3. Girl Scout Cookies
4. Gelato
5. Auto Tangerine Dream (freebie)
6. Granddaddy Purple
7. G13 Haze (freebie)
8. Big Blue Cheese
9. The Cheese
10. Cotton Candy Kush
11. Super Skunk
12. Blueberry Widow (freebie)
13. The X-Factor...Chem D

Also, on the way (my last genetics for a long time)

14. AK47
15. THC Bomb
16. Surprise Strain from a list of 4 choices I submitted.

DunHav`nFun

Just wrote a damn book and it went away.....Icmag server gremlin.....aight....I`ll try this again in a revised version......everything you have drawn works for a single separate manifold for 1 side of the quad.....except.....put the bypass down inside the rez and put the ball valve in the middle of that short piece on top......IOW.....

Solution level in both active and passive rez`s should only be set at 2/3 level to allow for oxygenation and stirring of solution active rez with each feed sequence.....IOW again.....there`s no reason for maximum capacity rez`s with 2 daisy chained together , especially since you`ll be usin a top off R/O rez as well in the future once more sides are employed......also....

You can build all this shit outta cheap ass flextubing for the first test round to get a good idea of what we`re tryin to accomplish on all 4 sides without havin to tie the other sides in yet , just make everything from rez to manifold outta pvc and then use appropriate connectors to tie pvc to flextubing….nuff for now before I get finger cramps in my old ass....

Holler....DHF.....:ying: …...

swapmeet

Just wrote a damn book and it went away.....Icmag server gremlin.....aight....I`ll try this again in a revised version......everything you have drawn works for a single separate manifold for 1 side of the quad.....except.....put the bypass down inside the rez and put the ball valve in the middle of that short piece on top......IOW.....

Solution level in both active and passive rez`s should only be set at 2/3 level to allow for oxygenation and stirring of solution active rez with each feed sequence.....IOW again.....there`s no reason for maximum capacity rez`s with 2 daisy chained together , especially since you`ll be usin a top off R/O rez as well in the future once more sides are employed......also....

You can build all this shit outta cheap ass flextubing for the first test round to get a good idea of what we`re tryin to accomplish on all 4 sides without havin to tie the other sides in yet , just make everything from rez to manifold outta pvc and then use appropriate connectors to tie pvc to flextubing….nuff for now before I get finger cramps in my old ass....

Holler....DHF.....:ying: …...

Okay, I teed to a shutoff and downward elbow down in the res for the bypass, and I eliminated the top connection to the next rack, since it might as well just be pressurized from the bottom like the first one. Let me know what you think when you're re-writing that book :moon:

DunHav`nFun

Yas snuck all the beans in while I was tryin ta re-fukin post what got lost.....If you can`t find some keepers outta all that shit just give up.....lol.....and the last time I`m gonna say this....get that fukin X/ball valve away from the bypass and put it outside the rez on top in the middle of that short 1' piece before it turns down to the floor...…

It`s the most important control valve outta pvc to control pressure to the cheapass flextubing manifold so as to not blow all the fittings from too much pressure from the get , and then you tweak each level after you get the right flow from top to bottom...…aight....

Warmed up today and the dawg wants me ta go down to the pond and catch some fish cuz he`s bored...guess I`ll see what happens....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
...and the last time I`m gonna say this....get that fukin X/ball valve away from the bypass and put it outside the rez on top in the middle of that short 1' piece before it turns down to the floor...…

It`s the most important control valve outta pvc to control pressure to the cheapass flextubing manifold so as to not blow all the fittings from too much pressure from the get , and then you tweak each level after you get the right flow from top to bottom...…aight......

Before the bypass turns down into the res it has a valve. On the top

swapmeet

I believe that is what he is saying.

While I have you here Icky, for the germinated seedlings, and cuttings, do you precharge your coco, or just when I up pot. Your description in post 116 talks about flushing larger plants with nutrient solution upon up potting, but does not mention nutrients in the clear cups.... once tap roots show, should I just put the rinsed stringy fiber into the cup with the seed in top, or how should I handle these germinated seeds?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
While I have you here Icky, for the germinated seedlings, and cuttings, do you precharge your coco, or just when I up pot. Your description in post 116 talks about flushing larger plants with nutrient solution upon up potting, but does not mention nutrients in the clear cups.... once tap roots show, should I just put the rinsed stringy fiber into the cup with the seed in top, or how should I handle these germinated seeds?

I precharge the smaller ones. I use the buckets to do that. You want it wet but not soaked. When the seedlings are young and have small roots is when they are most at risk of dying from over watering. So get your coco wet when you put them in cups.

swapmeet

I precharge the smaller ones. I use the buckets to do that. You want it wet but not soaked. When the seedlings are young and have small roots is when they are most at risk of dying from over watering. So get your coco wet when you put them in cups.

So full dose nutes and cal mag @ PH of 5.9 after fully rinsed?

DunHav`nFun

Thanks Icky.....Swap.....When you turn down the pressure on that ball valve on top with the pump running , it creates "back pressure" on that pump and that`s a bad thing as in wears out the pump/burns the pump up prematurely cuz it can`t push the gph`s that it`s designed to push ok?.....Got me so far ?......That`s what the bypass is for.....that 1 thing and 1 thing only , to keep the pump working at optimum performance , but...….it does serve dual purpose in that it keeps solution stirred and oxygenates rez every time said pump kicks on at each feed sequence.....now.....

That ball valve on top turns down ALL pressure to your manifold when shut off , so open slowly and then you adjust each level up or down accordingly once the complete manifold`s pressurized …..believe me....once you see all this shit come together it`ll be more and more simple for you.....but.....You HAVE to use oversized pumps with head pressure to provide equal flow and pressure to all levels of your racks....without the oversized pumps , you`ll never get synchronized watering of each plant on each level.....never....although your 500 gph pump most likely will do fine or hopefully so for just 1 manifold.....and lastly....

Your coco ain`t the same as what me and Icky use Bro.....Yours is fresh and dangerous as fuck to those seedlings without being washed the fuck out of and as free of salt as possible from living next to the ocean.....Do not forget that.....but...... if you can master that shit you got since it`s free from now on , what more could a grower ask for than free growing medium forever …..IOW.....

That free shit could be a blessing or a curse if you can`t get it salt free or as close as possible....aight.....nuff today , but be careful with them babies cuz they ain`t cheap and you need as much diversity as possible for the pheno hunts from Hell....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….

Last edited:

swapmeet

I treated the coco as prescribed from you fellas and I am planting germinated seeds into clear cups... I am just nervous because I've never used this method and its a few hundred bucks worth of seeds... I put a little layer of perlite over the top of a seed planted taproot-down to try and keep evaporation away... I have been thinking of starting a few in soil/perlite to hedge my bet... Does this look right? I made sure not to let it compress too much... It is moist.

Last edited:

swapmeet

Thanks Icky.....Swap.....When you turn down the pressure on that ball valve on top with the pump running , it creates "back pressure" on that pump and that`s a bad thing as in wears out the pump/burns the pump up prematurely cuz it can`t push the gph`s that it`s designed to push ok?.....Got me so far ?......That`s what the bypass is for.....that 1 thing and 1 thing only , but...….it does serve dual purpose in that it keeps solution stirred and oxygenates rez every time said pump kicks on at each feed sequence.....now.....

That ball valve on top turns down ALL pressure to your manifold and then you turn each level down accordingly once the complete manifold`s pressurized …..believe me....once you see all this shit come together it`ll be more and more simple for you.....You HAVE to use oversized pumps with head pressure to provide equal flow and pressure to all levels of your racks....without the oversized pumps , you`ll never get synchronized watering of each plant on each level.....never.....lastly....

Okay, I understand. So, I should get a bigger pump...like 1,000 gph, or bigger? I assume one pump will power up two quads...

I was just thinking that the no control valve on the bypass, it might be shooting water the entire time, thereby robbing it from the system... I suppose that it will only shoot potential back pressure there?

Your coco ain`t the same as what me and Icky use Bro.....Yours is fresh and dangerous as fuck to those seedlings without being washed the fuck out of and as free of salt as possible from living next to the ocean.....Do not forget that.....but...... if you can master that shit you got since it`s free from now on , what more could a grower ask for than free growing medium forever …..IOW.....

That free shit could be a blessing or a curse if you can`t get it salt free or as close as possible....aight.....nuff today , but be careful with them babies cuz they ain`t cheap and you need as much diversity as possible for the pheno hunts from Hell....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….

I soaked the shit out of it and agitated it a bit with a mop handle, flushed the shit out of it....then strained it and charged it according to Icky's instructions.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Did you do a air holding test on that coco before you planted those seeds. It looks like it may hold to much air. Also you want the media to be tight to the roots on little ones. If not they can dry out the roots to fast and possibly die. Especially on little plants.

If it is to porous you will need to keep a eye on them so they dont dry out to fast. Maybe add a little finer cooc where you planted them.