What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PPK (recirculating top drip) vs Multi Flow (flood and drain)

tilopa

This is not a thread promoting one system over another, I am referencing to a proprietary system only as an example. I’m looking for pros and cons of each system, and feedback on which to choose for my own situation.

I’ve been using the PPK system for a short time, and have yet to get it dialed in. I had to stop my operation for the past 6 months and looking to reboot my rooms. Incidentally I have a 10x10 flower room and 4x10 veg with another 5x10 “control” room between them for power, water, rez, etc.

A friend of mine was telling me that he just started this new system (new to him, he has been growing for many years), and he claims that he is getting 3.5 lbs per light. The system is from Greentrees hydroponics called Multi-Flow, though many other companies make a very similar system. It is very similar to PPK, there is a main feeder rez that supplies a control rez that directly feeds the buckets housing the individual plants. https://www.hydroponics.net/items/details/multiflow.php

This system (I’ll refer to as MF) is a bit simpler than PPK. With MF you have less pumps and no drip tubes, and no rez in between the feeder rez. About 3 or 4 times a day the nutrient solution gets pumped from the feeder rez to a control rez that pushes the solution, through gravity, to the plant buckets and floods them from the bottom up. The medium is hydroton, although I guess you could use whatever.

I feel like the PPK system can potentially give better yeild and quality, however it is harder to really dial-in because it has more variables. Which makes these variables like feeding intervals, length of tail pipe, nutrient concentration, ph, medium, more critical to get just right. Which is what I’ve been struggling with.

Looking for pros and cons, especially from people who have done both.

RockinRobot

In my opinion... Top drip is prone to clogging. Feeding times and strength should be pretty much the same between top drip and ebb and flow. Both depend on your growing media.

For myself I never trusted those ebb and grow bucket type systems, line the one you linked. Float switches stick and I always thought they were a flood waiting to happen.

Yes, they save you a lot of height but I still recommend a flood tray sitting over a reservoir to the bucket systems.

Latest posts

Latest posts