What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kumaoni, Mazar-I-Sharif & Hindu Kush Outdoor Guerrilla Grow

thedudefresco

Small Plant grown alone in the ground is a "hindu kush" seed given to me years ago buy someone I consider legit. I don't know if it is feminized or not.

The other 3 plants, in the bigger hole, include one Kumaoni from RSC, and two Mazar- I Sharif From RSC.

I'm having trouble sexing them. Anyone lend a hand?

Video: https://gofile.io/?c=eZhxwY

thedudefresco

The Kumaoni is about 6 feet tall, however I have broken over many of the stems (stress training) so it isn't as high as it would be naturally.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd tie it over before I'd top it. Works great at this point in the season and makes more tops quicker. The kuamoni has the perfect structure. Just lean it back away from the Mazar-i.

thedudefresco

I'd tie it over before I'd top it. Works great at this point in the season and makes more tops quicker. The kuamoni has the perfect structure. Just lean it back away from the Mazar-i.

Hm. I've still been crushing/bending top stems but I'm not sure how I should go about tying it down.

How exactly would you go about it? The "trunk" of the plant is pretty sturdy and thick, It won't bend.

Do you mean taking the top stem/s and gently tying the tips down so they don't grow higher?

thedudefresco

July-August Update.

Weather: Full Sun
I waited 3 days to water once and my plants were visibly wilted. They recovered the next day & I decided to water them every day or every other day going forward.

New Techniques Tried:
1.) Mulching
2.) "SuperCropping" and Stem Crushing like this
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8HrkW7MA4

Applying Mulch
- (6 days ago)
I mixed store-bought "Gorilla Hair" Redwood Bark, Fox Farm Soil Conditioner (compost) & a modest amount of locally collected leaf litter and applied a 4-6 inch layer to my grow holes.

Due to the shredded bark, I knew this mulch mix would flatten after watering and because of the chickenwire around my plants it would have been a huge pain to try to get in there so I gently scattered the mulch by the handful. After a good watering, I'd say the mulch compacted to half its height.

I generously scattered kelp meal and a few handfuls of alfalfa meal around one plant prior to mulching as an experiment.

Reasons for Mulching

I have wanted to mulch for a while because of the biological benefits, but what made me bite the bullet and spend the time to do it was the hot weather and my frequency of waterings. It was a huge pain to water every day.

After mulching, I waited 3 days to water and the soil underneath was still moist. Success!

I also noticed tons more ants/rolly polly type insects in the mulch. I think this is good & I have had lots of ants in the past with no ill effect.

Supercropping (Stem Mutilation)

From my research, I'd say a better term for this would be "stem mutilation." Supercropping, IMO, like the term "LST" is too cannabis-centric and limits the person searching them to exposure to a narrow range of techniques. I googled a variety of gardening terms like "stem crushing" (or "trellising in case of lst) during my research.

Over the course of this past month I have become more aggressive in bending the plant's stems and main stems. I have broken several, but these are good learning experiences.

I use a technique somewhat similar to the one in the video above. Basically I weaken the area of the stem by either pinching, rolling, or rocking it back and forth and then slowly bend it at a 90 or sometimes 45 degree angle.

Most of these stems if not all have recovered and are growing up. What I've been doing is bending the length of each stem in this manner from old to new growth.

Stems are thicker and lumpier in the areas they were bent. I understand how this will improve structural integrity because the stems feel stronger. Whether or not this helps with yield or potency remains to be seen.

Plants - Preflowering
Kumaoni - 8 feet tall, large fan leaves, stiff stems.
Mazar I Sharifs- 5-6 feet tall, spindly, and malleable stems.
Hindu Kush/PCK - By far least vigorous of all plants, about 3 feet tall.

thedudefresco

14 feet tall now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.58.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.58.51 PM.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 54

thedudefresco

Hindu Kush was the best strainnive done outdoors so far. Huuuuge baseball bat nugs.

So, in the above photos, my hindu kush (actually is cannabiogen pakistan chitral kush) isn't present.

That plant was harvested a month ago. I might as well do a report on that in fashion , ay?

I will.

Pakistan Chitral Kush (only fem seed I grew)

- Vigor: slow growth. Topped out about 4 maybe 5 feet tall?

-Phenotype: (since there are purported green and purple phenos): I thought I had the green phenotype at first. But a few days before harvest time, (leaves had been falling etc, she was ready) she turned a bit purple overnight. This coincided with colder weather, but I decided to leave her in the ground for a few weeks more to see how purple she would get. I'm not mad I waited. The smell got better and I like the color. I'm gonna assume that despite the colder temps this is evidence for the purple pheno, (especially since this is nicknamed purple pakistani, sometimes).

-Yield: 150 grams- about half popcorn half big nug (Very rough estimate). Yield would likely be more but this one plant was targeted by caterpillars/moths. Hate to admit it but the infestation was very very bad before i caught it. Entire main cola was infested. I harvested all the "shit" i could find, and then sprayed everything with BT. Some of the harvested tops proved clean and I made hash with the rest. I let the smaller and popcorny nugs grow out on the plant and couple large colas on there that I had manhandled ripping out the mucky parts. They grew in a bit and I harvested.

Nug appeal: Very beautiful especially if you trim with intent and leave some of the tighter wrapped leaves on there for color. Dense rather than airy. This is a worked landrace and it shows. There is high trichome density. Unfortunately, due to the unforseen circumstances with pests I wasn't able to harvest many top shelf looking nugs from this one plant

Smoke (flower): I like it. It gives me a nice body high which was something I was seeking with this strain. Due to this, I will likely search for strains including some of this genetic in the future.

Potency: While the effects were special, when it comes to potency this strain is average. This was to be anticipated due to its having a 11-15% THC level. What I like about this strain is likely due to the levels of other terpenes and/or cannabinoids in the resin.

Smell (flower): Floral, unique and strong. Imo if you grow this strain you will easily avoid any "homegrown" smell, if you know what i mean, because it has a different enough smell. It is not skunky smelling or nearly as strong as smelling as a skunk #1 strain, but floral, as are other landraces ive grown.

would i grow again?: maybe. Either way, my intention was to learn about landraces, and I am happy with the knowledge gained from growin this strain.

Now Im waiting to harvest 2 different phenotypes of MAzar I sharif, and a Kumaoni.

Last edited:

thedudefresco

I will be doing this again this year.

I crossed the mazar with the kumaoni and will be growing one of those, plus

Golden Tiger

Tuna God

Baikal Express

CBD Sensi Star

Alaska Purple.

___

Plants last year grew well over 10 feet tall and I will be trying to train them to produce denser colas this year.

PaulMtree

This season was my first growing cannabis and it's been a blast. I have two in-ground RSC Kumaoni that are flowering now. It's loaded with buds but I'm having trouble timing harvest. The trichomes aren't very dense but now appear white. Pistils go from pale green to brown, skipping any vivid colors that signal ripeness in many strains (or so I gather). Any tips for when to call it?

Also, Kumaoni was such a beautiful plant! Six feet tall, with huge leaves. What are some other stately-looking varieties (landrace, heirloom or modern hybrid)? I also grew RSC Afghan mix, Lao Tsa, and Rasoli but they didn't hold a candle to Kumaoni. Maybe Mazar?

Attachments

• Delete 002.JPG
    Delete 002.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 73

therevverend

Veteran
Wow that Kuamoni looks great. If it's going to freeze or you're expecting horrible weather you could take it now but I'd let it go another week to a week and a half, depending. It's got plenty of resin and some swollen calyxes but there's still a lot of white hairs. I'd wait for them to turn brown. It should swell even more over the next week. This time of year outdoors can be tricky, it being a landrace makes it even trickier. I'd smell at it and look at the color of the crystals as well. If they're going from clear to cloudy or amber. It might even go two weeks if it keeps throwing new hairs and putting on new growth. Or one day it could fade and tell you it's through.. If it gets down to freezing and starts to rain and sleet I wouldn't leave it to get weather-beaten for long. Once plants reach the end of their life they're much more susceptible to mold and storm damage. It'd be a shame to lose a nice nug like that this late in the game. I'd keep a close eye on it but it could certainly use more time.

Latest posts

Latest posts