What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New L.E.D. Arrays & LowRyder2

dav zap

both right?

both right?

You didn't see what I mean? It can be very efficient and still not the best thing. I think. Maybe you're right? :headbange

slohemian

Efficiency would be, it uses low power while it hits the right spectrums.

An efficient light, doesnt always surpass the badboy lights. LED retailers change their terminology like "efficient" as a selling point. Their lights can be the most "efficient" grow lights ever... that doesnt mean they are the best grow lights.

Anaogy: A hybrid is a very efficient car(as far as saving gas), it can go 0-60 in 7-10 seconds. A souped up good old V8 is not going to be efficient in the name of saving gasoline, but it will go 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Be careful w/ the terminology sellers use. Be aware of what the "efficient" part is, because if ur saving a good chunk of change for an (energy)Efficient light, you may not be getting the power that you'd expect to come with it.

Again im not knocking LEDs here, im just clarifying for dav zap's previous comment.

dav zap

Thank-You Gentlemen for contributing.

Thank-You Gentlemen for contributing.

Slohemian gracias.

Aaronponic also gracias.

I am looking forward to you gents for this grow! Your presence is

appreciated. :wave:

SacredBreh

Aaronponic... good article

Aaronponic... good article

Wish they would have put the spectrums in it. Now that is what I am talking about in the right wave lengths. Its advancing quickly.

I think Dav Zap has the right idea. I have not seen a commercial setup that remotely looks promising. Building our own would be the best. I wonder how many classes it would take at a community college before you could take the LEDS out of that article and bend the technology to our needs. Bet not too much. Circuit boards and basic electronics.

What if you used say a HPS at a lower wattage and then mingled the proper blue spectrum LEDs in side the plant's top 2.5 foot canopy? Would it produce the nice short nodes MH encourage.... maybe denser buds in the undergrowth portion of the upper canopy? Just some thoughts. I have really thought about the community college thing. Have already set up some on circuit boards and made them work but can't understand enough to manipulate it beyond basic set ups you can buy anywhere. Plus, I would like to spread them almost Christmas tree style into the plants but more interwoven.

Peace

Re the V8/hybrid analogy; Sure, one on one there may be no contest. But using the savings of efficiency LEDs combine dozens of little "hybrid engines".

Watt for watt LEDs win I think, if lumens translate into grams then why aren't LEDs the "best" grow lights? HID lights were not invented for plants. LEDs were specifically designed only for the photosynthesis reaction. They dont give off sections of the spectrum that the plant doesn't need.

I think people are prejudiced against them, i've never tried them but i've only heard good things recently. They'll be cheap and even better soon and people will be laughing at the silly people still using HIDs, burning their houses down etc. Haha i'm only joking, i'm using hps right now. I'm very curious to see how she does though.

I'm trying to imagine what 1000w of LEDs would look like and what kind of plants it might produce.

Good luck!

dav zap

Good Morning SacredBreh

Good Morning SacredBreh

Like Warren Miller says, "You are a unique person, - just like everyone else." Wiseguy, huh? Thank-You for your visit SacredBreh. I think that Basic Electronics would get you to build a board. Or a guy who knows could show you easily how to do it. The LED does make a tight nug of bud so it would with HPS, combination. And they are selected by their specific frequency. Would make good side-lights, eh?

PEACE & POT

dav zap

Closet jungle

Closet jungle

Hello funk_buddha. We both like other plants around, huh? Here is my closet/flower room with its subterfuge of house plants. I looked at one of your dresser links. I think you have to underline to make the link work.
Good to see you. Keep up the good work. You seem well into it. Its a great hobby, eh? I love it. :headbange

dav zap

Konstantgrdnr

Konstantgrdnr

Good morning sir. Thank you for the Procyon link. It looks nice, and well made. But I heard that mine were brighter than them, so here we are. Lets see what it is really about, not product design awards, but simple growth. :rasta:

funk_buddha said:
Re the V8/hybrid analogy; Sure, one on one there may be no contest. But using the savings of efficiency LEDs combine dozens of little "hybrid engines".

Watt for watt LEDs win I think, if lumens translate into grams then why aren't LEDs the "best" grow lights?

The current limitations of LEDs are initial purchase cost ($600 per 100w for the procyon), and power limitations (only 100w max for the procyon). The cost needs to come down at least by half, and the wattage needs to go up by at least half.

When I can buy a 150w (at least) LED light for under $400, I will convert my garden.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
:biglaugh:

You talk about HID's damaging our earth and how great LED's are... yet you grow hydroponically. Wow, you're funny.

SacredBreh

Mr. Celsius... I think I will take the stink bait of that challenge

Mr. Celsius... I think I will take the stink bait of that challenge

But first....
Dav zap. I have already made large boards. I think LEDs at this point would be best interspersed in among the plants. Say hundreds of hot spots, like Christmas Lights but inside branches and all. Then have a power house coming down from above (HID).

Mr. Celsius... First never said shit about HIDs ruining our earth, am talking about the sum total of a relatively,extremely over populated biosphere by an organism that has basically gone unchecked. We are the problem not one little tiny dot on the scatter chart. My real world life is very highly educated in Biology to Molecular Respiration by organisms. I know all the granola and beads crap, and I love it; but at this time one of the most balanced productions we do is Hydro. The Tilapia industry is a shining example of that. Whole Agricultural operations are fed off the fish's, you ate yesterday, excrement. No waste, no pollution, just plant products and protein come out of the closed system. Now if we spent even a minuscule fraction on those kinds of developments instead of granola and beads, we might just make it those next 500 years I did talk about. Sorry but the whole "natural is the way to go" stuff doesn't work when you have a species such as ours, that has stretched our ecosystems boundaries 1000x past their normal limits. The only way to go as "truly" natural as your smug remark just inferred is to thin the herd back to 5,000 B.C. numbers. If not then we may want to redefine our foot print we leave on the biosphere we have. I just happen to think the LEDs will be one of those dots on the scatter diagram.

Peace

SacredBreh

Forgot to add... Mr. Celsius, I loved your thread on Bonsia Moms/Mums. Have used some of your techniques since.

Peace

dav zap

Mr Celsius

Mr Celsius

Hello. I just had to tell my story, too. I live in an apartment complex, and the delivery and disposal of soil is a serious nuisance. It could even be considered conspicuous behaviour. So dro is more stealthy. Thats why I go dro. Thank you for participating.

PEACE & POT :rasta:

dav zap

Sacred Breh

Sacred Breh

Hello and how are you today? You are a considerable talent, SB. I think that you are on a good track when you talk about LEDs interspersed in the canopy. Makes sense to me. But be generous. See you later, eh. :rasta:

PEACE & POT

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Mr. Celsius... First never said shit about HIDs ruining our earth, am talking about the sum total of a relatively,extremely over populated biosphere by an organism that has basically gone unchecked. We are the problem not one little tiny dot on the scatter chart. My real world life is very highly educated in Biology to Molecular Respiration by organisms. I know all the granola and beads crap, and I love it; but at this time one of the most balanced productions we do is Hydro. The Tilapia industry is a shining example of that. Whole Agricultural operations are fed off the fish's, you ate yesterday, excrement. No waste, no pollution, just plant products and protein come out of the closed system. Now if we spent even a minuscule fraction on those kinds of developments instead of granola and beads, we might just make it those next 500 years I did talk about. Sorry but the whole "natural is the way to go" stuff doesn't work when you have a species such as ours, that has stretched our ecosystems boundaries 1000x past their normal limits. The only way to go as "truly" natural as your smug remark just inferred is to thin the herd back to 5,000 B.C. numbers. If not then we may want to redefine our foot print we leave on the biosphere we have. I just happen to think the LEDs will be one of those dots on the scatter diagram.

K...

First off, I can't take credit for the bonsai mom technique. None of the links in my sig are my own threads.

I really don't need to get into a debate about ecology/sociology/economics, I was just pointing out some hypocrisies.

Aquaponics/aquaculture is an interesting field of agriculture that I am currently focusing my learning on. I happen to be educated in chemistry and biology as well. I get what you're saying and for the most part agree with you. Aquaponics is not the same hydroponics. Normal hydroponics has lots of waste and environmental impacts. I've only seen one person on this site do aquaponics and his name was BongSong; he was a dick, but knew his stuff.

Edit: I also wanted to add, if you don't know about permaculture and/or biointensive farming already, you might want to. Did I mention my background in sustainable agriculture? So these "granola and beads", as you put it, ways can sustain the populations we have now and the growing populations in the future.

dav_zap, may I suggest coco, as it is renewable and comes in tiny pressed blocks that can be brought into your home in a simple shopping bag with nobody being the wiser. Dry ferts are also small and compact/stealthy.

Last edited:

dav zap

Mr Celsius

Mr Celsius

Hello. Question to you sir, is coco a dirt substitute? Thank-You for participating in the thread.

PEACE & POT :bashhead:

Latest posts

Latest posts