What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

why are my basils yellowing?

S

schwagg

it's too early for me to have basil out. we're pretty much in the high 50's low 60's.

djonkoman

Veteran
when I went trough my seeds I also remember putting basel on the no-sow-soon-pile. (53 degrees north, seaclimate)

150wpimpin

well its been fluctuating for the last few weeks from 80 down to about 46 at night

they are in the ground now and have been for 2 weeks but they started yellowing
inside weeks ago where its always warm.

everything else look perfect oregano tomatoes cucumber peppers watermelon etc...

thanks for trying to help guys

ill add that a friends has had his out for many weeks longer than i have and his are bigger and they are not yellow at all.

S

SeaMaiden

I would suggest giving them a light feed of nitrogen. Also, basil seems to perform better when it's in a more shaded spot, rather than full sun. Same with cilantro (keeps it from bolting if you keep it in shade).

150wpimpin

I did nothing but water and now they look great nice n green

this is an all organic garden btw lasagna garden

150wpimpin

mmmmm...organic lasagna...

hahah no well yess yummm but no its a method of gardening

aka sheet composting aka no dig garden

its layers of greens n browns n veggie scraps n ashes from fire pit n coffe grounds n peat n newspaper some store bought compost to get it started

F

Franky4fingers

Keep them in indirect sun light. Too much sun isn't what they like. Also, make sure to keep soil moist. Not damp or dry

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
hahah no well yess yummm but no its a method of gardening

aka sheet composting aka no dig garden

its layers of greens n browns n veggie scraps n ashes from fire pit n coffe grounds n peat n newspaper some store bought compost to get it started

For real! This is how I did my current veggie garden and it's bloody amazing. :biggrin: I have great soil here but I didn't dig it at all. I just used stuff from the property: Mostly lawn clippings, leaves/litter from the forest and made foot high beds. The only stuff from elsewhere was a few bags of horse poo, and some commercial granulated chicken poo, & dolomite. You can do it on solid rock or concrete even!

Anyway, I came here because I had a Basil question. I'm growing several types such as Lemon Thai, Sweet, Liquorice in the same beds. I will collect the seed when it comes, but I'm wondering, will the seeds grow into the same "phenotype" as the Mother they came off? Or will the progeny be all over the place genetics-wise?

S

SeaMaiden

That's a good question to which I personally don't have a definitive answer. Best I can do is guess that it would be like cilantro, mint, oregano and the seed you get will be the same as the mother plant. But, that's a guess.

Too much water or the roots are getting too hot, try that. My basil did the same thing. Basil has very soft roots, the ground at the stalk (12"x12") will need to be moist but not soggy.

Think about over-watering or the roots getting too hot. Basil has soft roots, they cant take a hot dry/soggy ground. Make sure the base of the basil stalk stays moist but not soggy.

Latest posts

Latest posts