What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Great Beer Cup Challenge 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vonforne

This is all for fun. We should get some good laughs out of this and see some great ideas on how to go small.

It does not matter what size the plant is but how it looks in the end.

V

WelderDan

Veteran
that's the same boat i would be in...

So? It's good to jump outside your comfort zone once in a while. It makes you think outside the box. Besides, what do you have to lose? A few seeds? Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.

I expect a couple males at least. Gonna freeze any pollen for future projects. Thinking outside the box already...

T

turtle farmer

this is gonna be a blast,I haven't cracked beans in many moons...
I want to see some genius methods for propping them upright...
on deck;Blue Dream X SuperSilverSourDieselHaze,a gift from Greenlion...(where are you buddy,Good Karma Harvest Cup Nov.27,hope we see you)....and from BM-504,we have
Sour D 1.5 X Wonder Diesel----Sour D 1.5 X ChemDawg DD----ArcataTrainwreck X Wonder Diesel.....you to BM,harvest cup,possible hash bash.!!!
good luck to all

V

vonforne

Ya I have a bunch of crosses I have had for years........I think I will bust them out. They are just sitting and I have no plans or room for a full grow.

I have some ideas and some methods for keeping the plants looking good. I used to mess around with different size containers years ago.

V

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
So? It's good to jump outside your comfort zone once in a while. It makes you think outside the box. Besides, what do you have to lose? A few seeds? Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette.

I expect a couple males at least. Gonna freeze any pollen for future projects. Thinking outside the box already...

couldn't agree more, wasn't afraid of trying a new medium, just that it would be new :tiphat:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Don't say that! It's the people that only buy 1 ticket that win the lottery.

Besides that, I usually do hydro, so I'm gonna have to change methods. Ain't no way in hell I can run a 16 oz res!

I do not see anything in the rules about res size. You could have a 5 gallon res you just have to keep the roots in the cup. :)

Please correct me if I am wrong but a person could hook a 16 oz party cup to drain to a res and top feed it as long as the roots stay inside the 16 oz cup.

I am down for a challenge, this is great timing for me. Now I just have to choose the seeds.

GP73LPC

Veteran
I wasn't implying you were scared, just trying to get you to jump in the boat too!:jump:

would love to jump in the boat, but my current situation will not allow it :cry:

but in the future, look out, lol !!!

can you really use a 5 gallon rez with a 16 oz cup as long as the roots stay in the cup?

i am guessing root pruning is allowed :dunno:

WelderDan

Veteran
I do not see anything in the rules about res size. You could have a 5 gallon res you just have to keep the roots in the cup. :)

Please correct me if I am wrong but a person could hook a 16 oz party cup to drain to a res and top feed it as long as the roots stay inside the 16 oz cup.

I am down for a challenge, this is great timing for me. Now I just have to choose the seeds.

Outside the box thinking, I love it. This will kick ass. :dance013:

I got lots of ideas. And two weeks to decide. Maybe multiple mediums... I'm getting ahead of myself.

WelderDan

Veteran
would love to jump in the boat, but my current situation will not allow it :cry:

but in the future, look out, lol !!!

can you really use a 5 gallon rez with a 16 oz cup as long as the roots stay in the cup?

i am guessing root pruning is allowed :dunno:

Maj. Cottonmouth makes a good point. If you put a lotta holes in the cup it would act like an air pot. Roots would air prune...

Possibilities are endless. Brain engaging. Shift into 5th gear...

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Maj. Cottonmouth makes a good point. If you put a lotta holes in the cup it would act like an air pot. Roots would air prune...

Possibilities are endless. Brain engaging. Shift into 5th gear...

I hear ya, I am thinking I could put several cups in a plastic tub with a drain back to a res and feed each cup with a 1/4 tube run down the inside, almost to the bottom and just let them overflow.

WelderDan

Veteran
I hear ya, I am thinking I could put several cups in a plastic tub with a drain back to a res and feed each cup with a 1/4 tube run down the inside, almost to the bottom and just let them overflow.

Most scientific experiments are done on a small scale first, then scaled up. This is a perfect proof-of-concept test for ideas.

I'm stoked.

BubsNugs

Sounds like a lot of fun . i mentioned this contest to a buddy of mine a couple days ago, this and the 1 sq/ft challenge both sound pretty groovy. I am a lil confused about the 4 week veg bit? isnt that asking for trouble with root bound issues??? Like someone allready mentioned??? Although I did think that perhaps one could have a "mellow" veg period with less light n low nutes and just ramp uup the goodies as she goes into flower??? Ahhh crap maybe i just gave away a winning straategy?!?! O well its all for funsies eh??

Peace

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Word of warning, I grabbed a few of the red party cups I have and started making plans but looking at the bag they are 18 oz not 16 oz. Were Solo and Hefty brands.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i love how people's minds are already planning some advantage, some edge, a little sumpin, sumpin, to get the perfect plant :D

this is fun shit here !!!! ;)

WelderDan

Veteran
Word of warning, I grabbed a few of the red party cups I have and started making plans but looking at the bag they are 18 oz not 16 oz. Were Solo and Hefty brands.

I hear ya. I was like "I've already got cups!", but when I looked, they were 20 oz'ers. Crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.