What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orchids are as pricey as weed..

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Wife just picked up a white orchid for $80. No wonder they don't stock these at the low end flower shops. Seems like you can make bank growing these for retail.

Cool looking plant.. now what? How do I clone this? Do orchids respond well to hydro?

How do I increase fruit size and essential oils?

How come it has only one branch that's flowering (can I fim/top?), and the branch looks detached from the leaves.

Just realized I don't know shit about any plant except tomatos, weed and peppers.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Gonna need a greenhouse, brah!

Gonna need a greenhouse, brah!

Wife just picked up a white orchid for $80. No wonder they don't stock these at the low end flower shops. Seems like you can make bank growing these for retail.

Cool looking plant.. now what? How do I clone this? Do orchids respond well to hydro?

How do I increase fruit size and essential oils?

How come it has only one branch that's flowering (can I fim/top?), and the branch looks detached from the leaves.

Just realized I don't know shit about any plant except tomatos, weed and peppers.

Aloha Three Bang,:wave:

Round here,
orchids are a weed.
tr2.jpg
It's about heat and humidity.
Never let them dry out completely and never let 'em "shiver" <60F., and don't overfeed.
They are, after all, a weed.

o-kid2-2.jpg O-kid3.jpg

If you can grow Hibiscus,
goodmorning.jpg
Orchids will flourish.

Grow on MacDuff . . .:)

Weeze.

Attachments

• O-Kid2.jpg
    O-Kid2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 12

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Orchids are so pretty but Ive always been afraid to buy one cuz they are so delicate looking. I would be scared I would kill it hehe Maybe one of these days Ill try it..good luck with yours !!!

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
it depends on the orchid but most are epiphytes (they dont grow in the ground, but rather are in the air, attached growin in trees or off of other things, rockfaces, etc.) their roots are able to absorb moisture from the air. there are specific clay pots and other planters made for orchids that have a lot of holes int hem, or some people use wood baskets, other things. they use barks, cork, coarse coco coir (large chunks).

some can be very difficult and finicky to grow, and even harder to get to flower in cultivation (which is what you want) but there is an incredible amount of orchid varieties out there and many are quite low maintenance, just mist them daily and have them in appropriate lighting and temperatures.

the orchid business can be pretty competitive though, would be difficult to just jump into it and expect to be able to make money off orchids. stick to weed if you want to make money, grow orchids for the flowers if you want some pretty flowers.

designer

I know a lady that loves orchids, has a green house. She got a cutting a few years ago of an orchid that cost $3500. It took her 7 years to go from the cutting to the flower.

Funny, I looked at the things and thought wow, who pays that kind of money or puts in that kind of time on a flower.

C

CC_2U

OrchidWeb.com is a good place to buy plants, equipment and books on growing orchids.

Good folks and worth checking out, IMHO

CC_2U

I've been growing orchids for over 25 years as a hobby, and never a business. I consider that a blessing because the only breeders out there that stay in business, are the ones who are making money from something else. You'll starve trying to make a living in selling orchids!

Especially in these chaotic days, more people are interested in buying Home Depot crap for 5 bucks, & they think they really have a nice orchid. What they don't realize, is that they are buying worthless genetic refuse from the breeders, who grow out millions of seedlings, in search of that one or two, award winning examples that could be worth alot.

Latest posts

Latest posts