What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do I need to pollinate my Bell Peppers?

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Firstly apologies for jacking this thread....

Does anyone know if using ,for example the pollen from a serrano pepper to pollinate a bhut jolokia would alter the shape of the bhut fruit that results?
I realise that the seeds will be hybrids, just trying to understand why my bhut fruits are oddly shaped.

Take a look at this matrix for crossability, is a great resource:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2003044441005626.html

Peace

=K

rexamus616

Veteran
Fuck. I was under the impression that Chilis and capsicum and even tobacco were self polinating....

The stamens basically TOUCH the stigma, all it would need is a gust of wind. Same on tomatoes and potatoes. The flowers all point down.... well except tobacco...

Maybe it would be more true to say that these plants are insect 'assissted' in pollination, but not essential....?

Meh....

I read that damned article on 'wikipedia' and it just confused me.

Pollination, Self-pollination, self pollinizing.... I still don't have an answer.....

:S

Stankonia

The flowers on my jalapenos just keep falling off..So far about 4 have fallen off..I've never grown this indoors so is this norm??

You know, polinated or not, all but one of my flowers fell off. Probably around 100 in total. Some of them started to turn to peppers and then stopped. Eventually I gave up on pollination and just shook the branches a bit every once in a while.

I do have one fairly big pepper between my two plants though.

The lights can't go higher than 3', so I've been supercropping to keep the canopy low and wide. Giant canopy now, but only 3 x26W floros plus what comes through the east facing window, so the plants are starting to suffer. All my other lights are being used for more valuable endeavors right now, and I don't really want to spend the money on fixing it for one pepper.

Next I'll grow salad greens or maybe mint. Mojito anybody?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
hey 007, did you try to pollenate with a little paint brush or a cotton swab?
@stankonia-I think it's a problem caused by the flowers not being pollenated.

I started off with a cotton swab, but eventually got a small paint brush. No difference in success. I'd given up pollinating, and now three new peppers have started growing. They're high up on the plant though, and so I don't know how well they'll do since the plant is already at its height ceiling and foliage won't be able to extend higher than the new peppers.

OZZ_

Veteran
Ive grown lots of peppers indoors. In my experience its more often then not to much fertz, not enough light, or another type of environmental factor when the plants are dropping flowers.

Peppers arent the heavy feeders cannabis is, the plants will grow ginormous on a heavy feeding regimin.. but wont produce any fruits from what Ive seen. Just mix up a good soil mix and cut your fertz in half or even 25% of what you were using for mj and you'll have better luck.

To much nitrogen will definately cause flower drop. Ive witnessed it first hand on an indoor habanero plant.

I tried the whole q tip pollination thing ... as soon as I got the soil, feed, and temps right I didnt have to do sh*t :)

Latest posts

Latest posts