Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > ethanol extraction and stability

Thread Title Search
ethanol extraction and stability Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 07:39 PM #1
HWY36

HWY36 will become famous soon enough
ethanol extraction and stability

Is it possible to have a stable, shatter like product using an ethanol extraction or will it always be somewhat sappy?

I've been researching c-bleach. Is there an application where for it where the final product is stable? Seems the high temps required would leave me with an unstable product. Is there a way to use it with lower temps?

Regards all
HWY36 is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 AM #2
WaterFarmFan

WaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWY36 View Post
Is it possible to have a stable, shatter like product using an ethanol extraction or will it always be somewhat sappy?
Not sure on the other, but you absolutely can make hard shatter using ethanol. You will need to use vacuum purging to get this consistency, as applying heat with a double boiler will cause decarbing, which will produce a runnier product. If you starting material is older it could already have decarbed with time, and if that is the case, it will be a bit sappy even with vaccuum purge.
WaterFarmFan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:02 PM #3
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:

I've been researching c-bleach. Is there an application where for it where the final product is stable? Seems the high temps required would leave me with an unstable product. Is there a way to use it with lower temps?

Regards all
You can make ethanol shatter.

Recover using vacuum at low temperatures.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:45 AM #4
coldcanna

coldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud ofcoldcanna has much to be proud of
Low temps for the win. Our lab was having problems with everything going to sap, lowered the recovery temps and shit is like glass now.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all""

Freedom begins between the ears
coldcanna is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM #5
HWY36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanna View Post
Low temps for the win. Our lab was having problems with everything going to sap, lowered the recovery temps and shit is like glass now.
How low? I guess recovering (or evaporating) ethanol at low temps under vac would be no problem. My concern is that using c-bleach, it either won't filter properly or work at all at lower temps. The instructions say to heat to 176F.

BTW, love the quotes
HWY36 is offline Quote

Old 05-04-2018, 07:45 PM #6
HWY36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
You can make ethanol shatter.

Recover using vacuum at low temperatures.
GW, if I used c-beads or magSil in a BHO column would it give me a lighter colored product?
HWY36 is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2018, 12:34 PM #7
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
GW, if I used c-beads or magSil in a BHO column would it give me a lighter colored product?
I haven't tried that, but I predict not.

Any of ya'll other readers have any experience with that?

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 AM #8
AK Extracts

AK Extracts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcanna View Post
I'm having the same issue with sappy attempts at shatter. I'm extracting at -45C, cold filtering, and recovering at 38C under full vacuum. With a few attempts in the Cascade vacuum oven, I'm usually getting sappy sometimes partially crystallized gunk. What recovery temp would you recommend for my roto water bath? Any other pointers? Much appreciated.
AK Extracts is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM #9
WaterFarmFan

WaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Extracts View Post
I'm having the same issue with sappy attempts at shatter. I'm extracting at -45C, cold filtering, and recovering at 38C under full vacuum. With a few attempts in the Cascade vacuum oven, I'm usually getting sappy sometimes partially crystallized gunk. What recovery temp would you recommend for my roto water bath? Any other pointers? Much appreciated.
Just curious. What is the consistency of your extract when taken from the rotovap? Thin or thick syrup? What temps on your vacuum oven?
WaterFarmFan is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 10:46 PM #10
AK Extracts

AK Extracts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFarmFan View Post
Just curious. What is the consistency of your extract when taken from the rotovap? Thin or thick syrup? What temps on your vacuum oven?
The consistency is thick, I'd compare it to room temperature honey or slightly thinner as it does move. To get it out of the collection bulb we put a heat blanket on the glass and let it drip out overnight.

We've tried a few different temp regimes, as low as 85F (stepping up to 95F) for 5 days and as high as 120F for 3 days. We've only done 4 runs through the oven, so we are just getting started, but are more or less stumbling around in the dark it seems. One run it muffined and we made something resembling honeycomb, that didn't end up being very stable and was somewhat sticky. The other 3 runs we got some extremely sticky crystallized sap that was a medium amber. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.
AK Extracts is offline Quote