Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

Thread Title Search
The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 AM #121
Arnold.

Arnold. will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post
But first do you honestly need Mg. Soil and/or compost usually provides plenty
I was wondering the same.
Need the soil results from the lab first. I'm not mixing anything atm, just mixing idea's, trying to put the puzzle together.

Good info on the nitrate.
Arnold. is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:10 PM #122
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
You most likely don't need any Mg in your feeds.

You could feed every couple weeks with Mg in the mix and be fine. Foliar in veg to build Mg reserves. Most soils already have enough Mg that you don't need more for a couple of runs and then it is still strain dependent.

Arnold, Jidoka probably runs something like 30 ppm S and 110 P, or similar but still carrying that ratio. Anions compete with other Anions. Really the limit on your S is only relevant if you see a deficiency in P. Remember, numbers are just numbers.
Picked up a new laptop, Shoot me a PM Arnold.

I wanted to make a note concerning the Sample that Jidoka mentioned High Ec and lookouts ETC on...

Those EC numbers from Spectrum are pure bullshit. 3 meters later, a new Hannah from Avenger and I confirmed my thoughts. I thought I had a bunch of junk meters from sitting...nope just junk numbers from Spectrum on EC.

I had quite a few PM's about mixes and asking to post here...

I can't say this enough...If anybody wants to learn, do it here. You have a simple question that's just eating at you or a tough question that just isn't in your grasp, post it!
Doesn't matter what it's about, teas, mixes, irrigation, coco, peat...don't care. This is a thread for learning.

I have had starts going from seed since February...looking forward to outdoor this year! How are your big girls doing Jidoka? ( I am assuming they are already)
growingcrazy is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:51 PM #123
reppin2c

reppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the rough
Wow you guys are crazy with your feburary seed starts. Last year I had starts in March and it was a real shit show. Ran out of space packed them in and out for months.

This year I took cuts mid April and early May. Plugged a few already with sup. Life has been easier this year.

So on these vinegar soaks...I see people using oyster shell. Can someone refer me to a thread for a rundown?
reppin2c is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 PM #124
jidoka

jidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of light
We are running 12 plants is all. Personal use and friends. Probably 2 ft tall. A little bigger than I wanted

Interesting thing is I stuck them in nftg #4 which quickly ran out of food. So I started feeding them salts. Currently running an EC of 3.7 and feeding 3-4 x per day

Plants are happy but it is a major pain in the ass

Click image for larger version

Name:	6ED10F25-1FDF-427E-915C-2475B01445F1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	455633

These, on the other hand, are in 5 gal pots of royal gold tupur getting fed mid 2s 24x per day. CO sun brings the energy
jidoka is online now Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:57 PM #125
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Gonna sub now before this thread turns 500 pages long!
MrBungle is online now Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 PM #126
jidoka

jidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of light
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B3ED511-DBD5-4BD9-B635-139A1EDBAFCB.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	455863

An outdo plant...like 12 days to go before planted. Too big
jidoka is online now Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM #127
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
Below is the current mix I've PMed a couple folks about.

I'm not a 'hard-sciences' guy, but have been growing successfully for a long time; sometimes magnificently, and much of the time pretty darned good. But I wish to return to 'magnificent,' if at all possible.

As I've written elsewhere, without testing each amendment from each time there's a new bag or box, they can change some. I don't get the sense there's any quality control folks losing sleep over changes in guano content in the amendments market.. I wish there were.

I'm using untreated well water for hydration, w/ 95 ppm calcium carbonate (as of testing ~17-18 years ago) though on occasion (more so lately) using R/O for foliar spray, whether straight H2O or with nutes/enzymes/etc. added.

Please, if you have significant insight and experience into balancing these numbers/amendments, respond however you'd wish; PM, post, what ever.

I've been in the process of putting this adjusted mix into play, but have held off until today.

As written below, I'm now using Mycostop and/or Prestop in place of Actinovate as a prophylactic in initial hydration of mixes, due to dealing with varying presence of Fusarium Wilt in my mothers.

I calculate the approximate finished DRY volume as being about 16.4 gallons, +/-.

Recent ph on a very similar mix was around 6.2 to 6.4. A bit lower than I once routinely grew with.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revised & Corrected Bloom Mix, as of May 17 2018
(Divide cups by 16 to reach equivalent in gallons)

10 Cups Fishy Peat (*Local Alaska product with fish waste and kelp present)
15 Cups Coco Coir
30 Cups Fox Farms Ocean Forest (*Can be 50:50 with Amazon Bloom)
26 Cups Earth Worm Castings
30 Cups Perlite
10 Cups Vermiculite
20 Cups Pumice
20 Cups Rice Hulls
7.5 Cups Zeolite
90 Cups Pro-Mix or Sunshine mix #4
-------------------------------------------
8.5 TBSP Steamed Bone Meal
4.66 TBSP 0-11-0 Seabird Guano
4.66 TBSP 3-10-1 DTE High P Bat Guano
4.66 TBSP .5-13-.2 High P Indonesian Bat Guano
2 TBSP Alaska White Fish Bone Meal @ 6-10-0 w/ 20% calcium
4 TBSP Blood Meal (Usually DTE, but varies)
2 TBSP DTE Alfalfa Meal
8 tbsp High N 9-3-1 DTE Bat Guano
11 TBSP Kelp Meal (Usually DTE, but source varies)
2 TBSP DTE or (??) Jersey Green Sand
1 TBSP Langbeinite
19 TBSP Dolomite Lime
6 TBSP Gypsum (Granular, as that was all that I could get here)
12 TBSP DTE Oyster Shell Flour
1 TBSP Azomite
8 TBSP Dry Molasses
1.5 Cups Dry Triple-Fermented Bokashi Bran
2 Cups Alaska Humus
1 TBSP DTE Soluble Mycorrhizae
2 TBSP Lilly Miller Super Sweet ag lime.
--------------------------------------------
Hydrated with 2.5+ gallons of untreated well water, that has, among other lesser minerals, 95 ppm calcium carbonate.

Of the 2.5 gal. H2O, 2 gallons are treated with (per gallon):

2 drops Vitamin B Super Thrive
2 ml Pro-Tekt
2 ml Liquid Karma
6 ml BioAg Ful-Power
¼ tsp Actinovate.. (Changed to .5 to 1 gram of Mycostop or 20 grams of Prestop bio-fungicide)as prophylactic
15-20 ml of EM-1
1/4 teaspoon amino acids (soluble powder)

*Have used 1/64th tsp of sodium borate in ONE of the 2 treated gallons a couple times, but not sure this is helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------
When transplanting either rooted clones to 3” cubes, or larger plants, use 1/8 to ¼ tsp Great White in the depression the plant’s roots are going into. The 1" tray inserts going into 3" cubes gets diluted with additional peat and perlite, or comparable, to cut down on the strength of fert.

Initial watering may include minor fertilizing if the mix wasn’t permitted to ‘cook’ for any notable time. Just as a kick-off for more developed plants. (i.e. not so much for freshly rooted cuttings).

**My Swedish Smorgasbord of soilless ganja mix, as it currently stands. Convoluted, but well varied.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited on 5/21/18 at some early hour of the morning;

I mixed the above soilless mix together, and came up with a ph way below typical results, so increased the dolomite from 10 TBSP to 19 TBSP, as well as adding Lilly Miller's Super Sweet X's 2 TBSP. I also added 1/4 teaspoon of powdered amino acids to the H2O, and increased the volume of H2O to 2.75 gallons+. Will test ph again (and maybe NPK) in the morning, and get a small sample bag or two set aside to send to a testing lab in the near future..
moose eater is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 PM #128
jidoka

What size pots? Water only fertigated?

Do you have a soil test

Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 PM #129
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivormoose eater is a survivor
I previously used classic 600 pots (x 16 per cabinet) in several 4'x4' areas, then went to classic 1200's x 9 in 4'x4', then classic 2000's x 9. The smaller pots, in my opinion, had the plants putting more energy into top-side effort, than in to the roots, and kept them from getting water-logged for a shorter drying time between waterings, unless uptake slowed due to over-feeding..

The larger pots I had used years ago, but with the newer mix(es), and partly due to not gradually stair-stepping up the pot size, rather going from 3" to the final bloom pots, ran into issues with staying wet too long, and .... Fusarium Wilt, etc. Karma from laziness, to be honest.

I typically only give a boost of fertilizer when into bloom soil, then let it get water, or water and enzymes for a number of waterings. After that, 1-2 times weekly with medium strength feed, of what ever I'm using at that time; sometimes in the past, religiously using guano and kelp teas, and other times FF bits at half-strength.

Very seldom do I use foliar feeding anymore, unless cuttings, or I see a Mag deficiency or similar that can't be reached via root feeding (i.e. lock-out).

I don't even use foliar sprays as much as I once did for rinsing waste from the leaf tissue, though I should.

My HRV, even with the current bug screen at intake, and MERV 8 filters to keep debris away from the core, seems to be working quite well, and spring is more slow to arrive here this year than several past, thus my humidity in the shop is running about 28+ % (on the low side compared to normal, but it's been even lower through winter).

My temps, however, are right in there where I like them, at about 71 to 74 f. A bit higher than that in the 4'x4'x~6.5' cabinets. (4 cabinets total in the shop, plus 3 mother cupboards).

Reflective semi-gloss and flat 'pure bright white' latex enamel on the walls in the larger cabinets and mother cupboards, maximizing any light that goes to the sides.

Recently converted to 315 cmh's (last year), though one cabinet (3.5'x3.5'x6.5') still has the 400 digital and accompanying MH and HPS bulbs.

No soil test right now.

Part of the reason for the fairly serious variance in amendments is based in distrust for amendments matching what they claim on the labels, and anthropomorphizing/personification of plants. (i.e., if I ate the same meal all day, every day, for months on end, I'd be upset. I know that's not realistic where plants are concerned, but.....)

Thanks.
moose eater is offline Quote

Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 PM #130
Badfishy1

Badfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to allBadfishy1 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose eater View Post
Below is the current mix I've PMed a couple folks about.

I'm not a 'hard-sciences' guy, but have been growing successfully for a long time; sometimes magnificently, and much of the time pretty darned good. But I wish to return to 'magnificent,' if at all possible.

As I've written elsewhere, without testing each amendment from each time there's a new bag or box, they can change some. I don't get the sense there's any quality control folks losing sleep over changes in guano content in the amendments market.. I wish there were.

I'm using untreated well water for hydration, w/ 95 ppm calcium carbonate (as of testing ~17-18 years ago) though on occasion (more so lately) using R/O for foliar spray, whether straight H2O or with nutes/enzymes/etc. added.

Please, if you have significant insight and experience into balancing these numbers/amendments, respond however you'd wish; PM, post, what ever.

I've been in the process of putting this adjusted mix into play, but have held off until today.

As written below, I'm now using Mycostop and/or Prestop in place of Actinovate as a prophylactic in initial hydration of mixes, due to dealing with varying presence of Fusarium Wilt in my mothers.

I calculate the approximate finished DRY volume as being about 16.4 gallons, +/-.

Recent ph on a very similar mix was around 6.2 to 6.4. A bit lower than I once routinely grew with.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revised & Corrected Bloom Mix, as of May 17 2018
(Divide cups by 16 to reach equivalent in gallons)

10 Cups Fishy Peat (*Local Alaska product with fish waste and kelp present)
15 Cups Coco Coir
30 Cups Fox Farms Ocean Forest (*Can be 50:50 with Amazon Bloom)
26 Cups Earth Worm Castings
30 Cups Perlite
10 Cups Vermiculite
20 Cups Pumice
20 Cups Rice Hulls
7.5 Cups Zeolite
90 Cups Pro-Mix or Sunshine mix #4
-------------------------------------------
8.5 TBSP Steamed Bone Meal
4.66 TBSP 0-11-0 Seabird Guano
4.66 TBSP 3-10-1 DTE High P Bat Guano
4.66 TBSP .5-13-.2 High P Indonesian Bat Guano
2 TBSP Alaska White Fish Bone Meal @ 6-10-0 w/ 20% calcium
4 TBSP Blood Meal (Usually DTE, but varies)
2 TBSP DTE Alfalfa Meal
8 tbsp High N 9-3-1 DTE Bat Guano
11 TBSP Kelp Meal (Usually DTE, but source varies)
2 TBSP DTE or (??) Jersey Green Sand
1 TBSP Langbeinite
10 TBSP Dolomite Lime
6 TBSP Gypsum (Granular, as that was all that I could get here)
12 TBSP DTE Oyster Shell Flour
1 TBSP Azomite
8 TBSP Dry Molasses
1.5 Cups Dry Triple-Fermented Bokashi Bran
2 Cups Alaska Humus
1 TBSP DTE Soluble Mycorrhizae
--------------------------------------------
Hydrated with 2.5+ gallons of untreated well water, that has, among other lesser minerals, 95 ppm calcium carbonate.

Of the 2.5 gal. H2O, 2 gallons are treated with (per gallon):

2 drops Vitamin B Super Thrive
2 ml Pro-Tekt
2 ml Liquid Karma
6 ml BioAg Ful-Power
¼ tsp Actinovate.. (Changed to .5 to 1 gram of Mycostop or 20 grams of Prestop bio-fungicide)as prophylactic
15-20 ml of EM-1

*Have used 1/64th tsp of sodium borate in ONE of the 2 treated gallons a couple times, but not sure this is helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------
When transplanting either rooted clones to 3” cubes, or larger plants, use 1/8 to ¼ tsp Great White in the depression the plant’s roots are going into. The 1" tray inserts going into 3" cubes gets diluted with additional peat and perlite, or comparable, to cut down on the strength of fert.

Initial watering may include minor fertilizing if the mix wasn’t permitted to ‘cook’ for any notable time. Just as a kick-off for more developed plants. (i.e. not so much for freshly rooted cuttings).

**My Swedish Smorgasbord of soilless ganja mix, as it currently stands. Convoluted, but well varied
About how much soil does that make? Yes I could add it up, but what is an estimate? Thanks for sharing!
Badfishy1 is offline Quote