What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This thread is da peat puck freaks..

J

jimbroker

Peat Pellets are great for starting seeds in! I use them to start my seeds for spring.I've also used them to start seeds and I think they are probably the easiest way to do it.

I'll have to try this with clones.

I like the pics of the roots sticking out from the clones! Nice thread blunt_69!

mngreens

I'm a huge proponent of peat pucks, especially when you get 72 with a humidome, tray and warming pad for $20 at the DEPOT

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
i must say i have to join this thread. i picked up a tray filled with 25 jiffy 7s for $4 and 3 25pk refill pucks for $1 something a piece. i decided to try out my cherry bomb IIs in them and in less than 24 hours 1 was up. a day later its 5 for 9, bout one of them grew its tap root out of the top of the puck and the cotyledons were underground. thant happen often with these?

G

abirdintheair said:
...one of them grew its tap root out of the top of the puck and the cotyledons were underground.
That must have been that Chinese pheno.

GroBoy2000

i find that seasonally, wal-mart will carry them, think i picked up a few trays of 72 for like $6ea, wish I woulda gotten more

I prefer to leave my dome off if possible, i sprayed about a half liter into a full tray, and with my dome on, they were still pretty wet like 4 days later, with the tray cracked/periodally taken off

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
well i had 5/9 pop until 2 suddenly died in the pucks, one turned to brown slime and the other looks like it got dryed out or cooked :confused: im only using tap water, and theyre about 2-3" tall, humidifier dome is still on, pucks have stayed moist.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Figured i'd give us all macro view of a peat puck with fresh start clones... The peat puck appears to have gaping holes in it from this angle!!

9118rootsmacroed.jpg

and some new clones ready that have already been transplanted after the photoshoot.100% success rate. with a dome a few cfls and peat pucks!!

9118new_widows_nls.jpg

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Ok folks i forgot to add one more piece of information about cloning.This is the most important, it took my success rate to 100% instantly.

I learned this technique on cloning way long time ago from the URBAN GROWER website. Unfortunately, I dont have the diagram that shows the diffrent layers that makeup the stalk of a plant. Basically what this does is exposes the layer directly that has the ability to change back into roots.

This no bullshit method will not only increase the survival of cloning, it also decreases time-to-root..this will allow 100% success in 8-10 days.

Sorry it took me so long to remeber this small but important step. The simple way i can explain it is to take the husky layer of the stalk off the plant. It takes a bit to get it, but you will know when you do, halves the stalk to center.

9118how_to_clone.jpg

urbangrower video
http://www.urbangrower.com/UG_S2_cloning.html

Last edited:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
I recently experimented with about 150 seedlings indoors.

Jiffy pellets
vs
rockwool cubes
vs
coir/perlite cells

To my surprise, the Jiffy pellets annihilated the other methods. Hands-down, the best method. I've used them all before... I'll switch seed-starting methods from grow to grow. Never noticed a huge difference. But this side-by-side experiment demonstrated to me that peat pellets are the way to go.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let an old man put to rest any apprehensions anyone has about using Jiffy-7 peat pellets. I have used them for years without issue, but I had never used them in an outdoor grow until last season. Mainly because I never ventured to do an outdoor grow until last season...but I did use Jiffy's.

I too was worried about how they could possibly be restrictive to the root system. So, I decided that during my first attempt at an outdoor grow, I would also do a little experimenting with the pucks.

First off, my plants were planted late season and they were HST'ed. That would be Heavy stress trained, in that I forced the main stalks to an almost horizontal position from plant, and kept the branches forced into the same position, never letting the plants get taller than about 2.5 ft. vertical. This is a fantastic way to stealth them into a home garden behind the corn and amongst the peppers.

OK, back to the Jiffy's...
This is a shot of a 100% indica with the Jiffy left intact.

You can see that the root ball had no trouble ripping apart the netting as it needed to.

These are two sativa's that were also started in pucks.

The first one had the netting left intact, and the second one I ripped the netting at the provided perforations at set.

A closer look shows the root systems of each.

:laughing:
I dunno...tell me what y'all think.

I think that Jiffy-7's are the best thing since sliced bread, and should be used without any worries whatsoever about root bind.
I also have never seen a Jiffy made with coco. If they exist, they sure are obscure little rascals...and I would also avoid them like the plague if I were using them to start seed, as they probably have the Ph so that they could cause a very high male ratio...but that is just my reckoning. :confused:

This thread is still going? Damn...

Hand it to a lazy stoner to continue buying peat pucks from the local hydro store when my local Walmart carries a box of 72 for only $3.78!!!!!! My local hydro store was charging me 5 bucks for a dozen!!! I went yesterday to check if they had them and wouldnt ya know it, there is a huge display for just peat pucks. The employee who helped me find them even discussed his recent outdoor crop and cloning techniques with me :)

The older guys in here like me will tell you that peat pucks are DA BOMB. They work for anything, and clones love to pop roots in them. Cut a clone straight from a mother and stick it into a wet puck no gel or soaking necessary and it will root.

There is an article in Mother Earth News that shows you how to make your own compressed peat pucks with an empty tin can and a car jack to press them. I'm sure you can use the same DIY to make them with CoCo.

-r

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i did my first clone and barely knew my ass from a hole in the ground. peat pucks were at the store, peat pucks i used, and they worked. biggest thing i found is watch the temps.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
ok , im sold, i just bought some peat pucks the other day from HD. are they any good for seedlings though?

yeknomssa

frankenblunt: here's what i did for my seedlings (after messing up once) and found that it works great. put your dry pucks in the tray, water them and put the dome on. i started germinating on paper towels at the same time. of course keep them both in a warm place (75-80 F) and after 24 hours or so, your seeds should have cracked and your pucks should have sucked up all the water which means you're ready to go. open up the nets on top and loosen up the top part of the soil (i used a toothpick). then just dig your holes, drop your beans with tails, and cover em up. put the dome back on and stick it back in your warm spot for a day or two. after the seedlings pop, its really really REALLY easy to over water heh. in fact, i ditched the dome about 2 days after they popped because the pucks still felt a little too wet (just from the initial watering to expand the pucks!).

most of this is standard procedure lol, so i guess the big thing is just be extra careful about watering. :joint:

rifishman

Great thread and even greater comments from all. :wave:

Does anyone use Clonex or any other rooting compound on the stems before inserting them into the pucks?

Should the entry hole in the puck be larger than the stem to allow for any air to get to base of stem?

I am going to try my hand with the pucks tonight as I have had not so good luck with my rockwool cubes or my homemade EZCloner.

:rasta:

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i used the rooting powder from the store, whatever they had. in retrospect i should have made a hole with a little poker of something, then smushed the peat back around it, but it worked out. i had the expanded puck and clone sitting in about 3/8 in. of water, which i think was too much, cut it down to 1/8; i think i should have concentrated on a better humidity dome so the peat would stay moist but not need all that water at the bottom, i was afraid of it drying out. then, i replaced one of the CFLs with a 100w incadescent; WAY too hot, cut to a 60 and that kept her warmer; took at least 2 weeks, but soon after the water cutback and heat, roots ... my first clone from scratch :yes:

clowntown

Veteran
Right on... One thing I love about these is that I can go from cut to root w/o the common re-wetting that I do with Rapid Rooters. :yes: They're also cheaper and easier to store!

Prior to this I liked cloning in seed insert cells filled with coco; but it's a bit easier to handle, check the root status, and transplant with these pucks. Overall it's more fuckup-proof and that's what I like.

Did I say cheap? And readily available anywhere? Can't find Rapid Rooters at Home Depot!

Latest posts

Latest posts