What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Overwatered?

Calikannabis

hey everyone, I fed my plants last night and today most/all of the leave tips are curling down and only a few leaves are droopy. Plant is in 20gal container and got 3gal of water. Is this a nutrient deficiency or a watering issue and if so, what do I do? How long until an overwatered plant is recovered?

Attachments

• 4807F62D-7CC1-4157-A1FE-19209C9D98B4.jpg
    4807F62D-7CC1-4157-A1FE-19209C9D98B4.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 46

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
The pic doesnt say much. This plant looks pretty ok from far. You should take a closer photograph. Do you have a good drainage system in the pot?

T

Teddybrae

looks normal to me, when you water the leaves sag. I betting tomorrow she will be perked up again.

yep.

Mate ... you could give plants like that many times more water than three gallons PROVIDING the water drains away quickly. Here in summer a Sativa in a 20 litre pot will drink 10 litres of water a day out of a deep saucer placed under the pot.

Cheers ...

Calikannabis

Something is definitely wrong with the plant, tips of all the leaves are curling inwards. My question is just if I have overwatered or this is something different.?

Attachments

• 6FA18627-8548-46E4-899C-B99BB00F145A.jpg
    6FA18627-8548-46E4-899C-B99BB00F145A.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 35

caliprop215

Veteran
Odds are its not overwatered cuz u only fed 3 gallons for a 20 gallon container....

Leaf curl down is a deficiency i believe

HHILL

Looks slightly overwatered to me. Maybe not enough drainage (aeration) in the soil. Maybe watering too often too. Could drill some more holes in the bottom or bottom sides of the container.

redlaser

Veteran
Check if any water is coming out from the watering earlier. Looks like it could be not draining.
Could be from the pot sitting in a saucer that doesn’t let the container drain right.

Sometimes plants will have that look after being heavily watered, and cold.

It’s only been an hour and a half though

Calikannabis

Check if any water is coming out from the watering earlier. Looks like it could be not draining.
Could be from the pot sitting in a saucer that doesn’t let the container drain right.

Sometimes plants will have that look after being heavily watered, and cold.

It’s only been an hour and a half though
Damn your right. I watered before the sun went down and the night was extreamly cold and today the soil feels like mud.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Me, including others, were asking about the drainage of your pots so it would be a good move to answer that question.

caliprop215

Veteran
U will be fine. Dont water for a couple days let it dry out. I water after sunset most day.... Never had a problem here

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
U will be fine. Dont water for a couple days let it dry out. I water after sunset most day.... Never had a problem here
There is a lot going on with plant life. Plants only take up what ever they loose during the day through perspiration. They are not on an IV for the lack of a better word. If the plant was satiated, then it spent the night with cold feet (roots) Stick your feet in a bucket of cold water and please let me know how you make out. Try spending the night and having a blissful sleep in those conditions. I'll I stated is that it is not recommended to water at sunset.

Last edited:

redlaser

Veteran
Damn your right. I watered before the sun went down and the night was extreamly cold and today the soil feels like mud.

If that plant was watered the day before that picture was taken it’s probably got more issues than just the cold.

Gets back to the question of adequate drainage. The plant looks like it’s roots are either sitting in water or the soil mix drains so slow it has the same effect.

Topsoil in a container will have that effect because particle sizes are too fine to drain ideally.

You could grow a plant that way, but you would be starting at a disadvantage

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
There is a lot going on with plant life. Plants only take up what ever they loose during the day through perspiration. They are not on an IV for the lack of a better word. If the plant was satiated, then it spent the night with cold feet (roots) Stick your feet in a bucket of cold water and please let me know how you make out. Try spending the night and having a blissful sleep in those conditions. I'll I stated is that it is not recommended to water at sunset.

Why you telling me this? I didnt talk to you but to the thread opener and to him I have to say the following: plants in big pots are problematic if there is no drainage. You probably don't need it in small pots but in big ones for sure! This includes big enough drainage holes on the bottom and take care that the underside with the holes is a bit elevated from the ground so water can flow freely out of them. Inside the pots you need some clay or stone material on the bottom which helps for even better drainage.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Why you telling me this? I didnt talk to you but to the thread opener and to him I have to say the following: plants in big pots are problematic if there is no drainage. You probably don't need it in small pots but in big ones for sure! This includes big enough drainage holes on the bottom and take care that the underside with the holes is a bit elevated from the ground so water can flow freely out of them. Inside the pots you need some clay or stone material on the bottom which helps for even better drainage.
Sorry, fixed that for ya :) Wrt a drainage layer, that has been debunked a long time ago, from the folks that grow trees in a pot :) Doing so simply raises the perched water in the pot, due the surface tension.

There is a simple trick to see what I am talking about. Take a draining grid and a 3x6" sponge. Soak the sponge and lay it flat on the grid, until it stops draining. happy? Now lay that sponge on its side. Amazing... water is now draining again. I thought it had fully drained. We're not done yet. Lay it over the screen end for end. Wow! I thought it had thoroughly drained.
Sorry good buddy :(

There is more to container gardening than growing cannabis. :tiphat: Bonsai are a lot less forgiving compared to growing weed.

SaToRi_GrOwS

If ur leaves are curling like that it could be nitrogen claw. As long as it's draining out the bottom then it's not a watering problem. Or coupd be possible pH problem happening. What medium is it in?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Seems like a lot of water. I shoot for 10 percent runoff water/solution to pot size.
Mabye cut back and give your 20 gallon containers 2 gallons