What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart pots, coir, and potting up?????

borntoinsulate

Hi all,

I've been wanting to try coir and fabric smart pots forever. I finally have the chance. My question is about potting up. Should I get 3 sizes of fabric smart pots and just pot up like I normally do??

Thanks in advance!

MrBungle

I don't know what sizes you start out with, but the smallest smart pot you can buy is 1 gal....

I've seen folks buy lengths of landscape fabric and make small fabric pots with a hot glue gun.... Seems really resourceful, but I just use plastic pots or yogurt cups for my small clones, and pot em in 2 gal smarties when they are ready...

This is in a peat mix... but I don't think there would be much difference between peat and coco for this science..

HqFarms

Only use for final pot. It doesn't take long for roots to break through the fabric. Are you using an auto feed set up? You really don't need to go past a 3 gallon and that's if you are doing a 10- 12 week veg with auto feeding. 2 gallon works perfectly with a 4- 6 week veg with auto feed. Remember coco is not soil and the guidelines you need to follow are completely different. Good luck brotha

F

FreeUrMind

I was told start seeds in 1ins rockwool when rooted pot up to 1ltr then straight into 3gallon

borntoinsulate

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies

Only use for final pot. It doesn't take long for roots to break through the fabric. Are you using an auto feed set up? You really don't need to go past a 3 gallon and that's if you are doing a 10- 12 week veg with auto feeding. 2 gallon works perfectly with a 4- 6 week veg with auto feed. Remember coco is not soil and the guidelines you need to follow are completely different. Good luck brotha

Thanks for the replies and the smart pot size recomendations. I want 4 tops so I'll pinch it twice.

I'll have to look into auto feed. Anyone have a good auto feed tutorial?

And yes I've been studying the coco forum for years. I think I'm prepared for it. I can't wait!

Thanks again

Manchineel

Haha, Pico's is what I plan to do when I get back home in six months. I've a ton of 3 gallon Smart Pots, and these are what I intend to use. I'll be hand watering daily, lower volume, until I develop a suitable DTW system like Pico's. I've read for hours, however I'm still confused somewhat. Unsure how big a table I can go. Plenty of questions but I'm going to buy what I think I need and leave it up to trial and error. I've read plenty of homemade DTW system designs. When I actually have some decent wifi, I'll watch some YouTube clips.

Latest posts

Latest posts