What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Riot vs Jiffy pellets (test)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Yup definitely jiffy ftw bro's, I really like how easy they are!! Watered RR cubes today for 3rd time! Still nothing but I guess they will pop out sooner or later!

That goes to show you ,more expensive doesn't always mean better...do yall think the compost clones rooted the fastest because of the microherd present in the compost .as I would of thought strait compst would of compacted to much and ben to hot of a mix for babies...thankz in advance...shrpshooter

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
W'sup shrpshooter.... I'm not sure about the microherd's effects on rooting but it's something to think about for sure... The compost seems to be fine for them they don't mind one bit. I just pack a bit into the hole I'd removed an RR cube from and pushed it down a little, not really compact but not real loose either.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I've always used Root Riots or Rapid Rooter's,.... while basically the same I think the actual Rapid Rooters are slightly better with more even moisture distribution. Quickest I've had a clone root was 4 days, haven't done it since, normal is 1.5-2 weeks.

I have a handfull of jiffy pellets sitting waiting for me to crack more beans, might try some clones in them side by side with the RapidRooters.

Thanks for the post!

Probably just missed it, but did you use hormone? (Clonex, Olivia's or similar?)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hi Canniwhatsis & TaterMcnuggys...

Canni I used Clonex... I'd like to see someone else have a try at this to see if they have similar results... 4 days is awesome!! Crack em out and post it here if you like...

Tater, no probs my man... I like a test thread and always like to see if these products live up to the hype!

Nice! Confirms what I experienced cloning a few years ago. I have always used jiffy pellets with rooting hormone and never had a problem. I never even used a heating mat or a cover. I would just cut the leaves about halfway back so they don't lose too much moisture. Gotta love it!! Haha.

fastgreen1959

A good little test. I prefer root riots, I have grown mostly from seed but i don't use the paper towel method or soaking them in water first, I just moisten the rr with a weak rhizotonic feed pop the beans in about 1 cm deep tear off the corner of the rr to cover the hole and thats it. I have had 100% success doing this. there are loads of white roots coming through within 5 days.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Suggestion....remove the netting before transplanting. The netting seems to be a barrier of sorts that allows "strong roots" to penetrate and but stops the "weaker roots" from penetrating the peat-sack.

Saw pics on a veggie garden forum of root balls at harvest--those with the netting intact were smallest, while those with the netting removed were noticeably larger with the root ball almost twice the size.

T

turtle farmer

I've been using RR for a while now with good results.
But after this test I'm gonna have to give the jiffys a try.
thanks for the info everyone.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Link to one of the Jiffy7 threads I stumbled on and a pic of roots obstructed by the netting:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0314220213059.html?23

Jiffy_03.jpg

burns1n209

Im gonna give them a try tonight, i usually use coco in small cups but ran out of cups and might just give the jiffys i have lying around a try, i believe i have a few RR, so maybe try all 3 and see what happens,