What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing with a Trellis

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Hey everyone,

ive been growing with a trellis for about the last year and love it...

and id like to share my knowledge of trellis growing (scrog)

Good strains for a trellis:

I've found two good types of plants that are well suited for this style of growing;

1. "Branchy Hybrids", (trainwreck, uk cheese, og kush), my favorite, branchy but still having some "indica" (compact bud profile),Ive ran a few 100% sativas but there not my cup-o-tea

2. "Mostly Indica", (purple kush, purple paki), these plants are alittle more stacked and produce FAT buds if trained well,

Vegging for Trellis growing;

I like to veg in 1 gal. pots of coco after cloning in Aerocloner,

i veg untrained till about 12'' (9-12 nodes) and then top the plant, giving it around 8-12 really solid branches that will turn in to nice fat tops, wait a week for the plant to recover and "bush up"

Flowering with a Trellis

i than transplant to 3gal. and put the trellis on at around 9'', i then take all the branches and train em out in all directions leaving space in between each branch and spreading out evenly (this opens the plant up and will GREATLY increase yield)

Then as you flower keep tucking the branches under as desired, indicas are less work, while sativas youll be in there everyday

Heres some iphone pics of the progression of a trellis grow...
From just put into 12/12

Mid stretch

Mid flower

Let me know what you think....

...EBG

Nice. I did my first scrog and learned that it is best to have bigger squares like yours and let the tops grow through them higher. This time I am going to veg each plant in a one gallon smart pot in a milk crate. The milk crate will be a scrog made with string tied through the handles to make nine equal squares.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Yea larger squares (4''+) seem alittle better than the smaller ones (2'') IME

Scrog is def. my favorite style of growing...

EastBayGrower

Veteran
This is a great way to grow if you have height restrictions or you need low plant numbers, with plants only 18'' tall you can pull 3+ ounces IME

also you can grow multiple strains (sativas and indicas) and keep an even canopy

ghostly

i will post some pix, but i use a trellis and wouldn't do an operation with out one. its the only way to grow. SpaceQueen is lazy n needs it and the Chem/BD are so huge they need it too.

ghostly

i ran 1x2 inch wood around the room. added small hooks and used 2 (5x15) trellis. i dont do much for training but the support alone is so helpful

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Thanks for the reply!!!!!

ALL TRELLIS PICS WELCOME!!!

]]Yea i feel the same way, i wouldnt grow without one, these pics are from my first time using one, i got a room with a bunch of headband/trainwreck that cant really be tamed but still love the trellis for support

I like using it for training (especially for height restrictions) but your right it also gives great support

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Those pics are of my 4x4 ''test'' room, i was actually flowering out over 10 strains in there from pure sativa to pure indica and the canopy was actually fairly even

if i grew those without one it would of been HORRIBLE, plants would have taken over and yield would be significantly less

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks good - you can ask a mod to change the title if you want.

hehe i started growing with a trellis 20 odd years ago - i kind of 'invented' it for myself because my grow space was like 2ft high. i didnt realize till i read a book a few years ago that it was now called Screen Of Green 'ScrOG'

whatever you call it the method rocks - high yields and low plant numbers.... happy days.

VG

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I grow vertical, and i make a trellis with bamboo stakes and zip ties.

The crossbeam bamboo creates a vertical plain, and i train everything to this flat plain. With some fan leaf removal, and staggered flowering stages, i can actually overlap a few different plains, (without too much shadow) as a wrap them around my cooltubes. (Young plants [without buds to block light] upfront; arranged similar to how mini blinds function.)

I do all of this in tents, on flood tables, and I use milk crates to vary the plant height.

zip ties are a growers best friend.

I grow vertical, and i make a trellis with bamboo stakes and zip ties.

The crossbeam bamboo creates a vertical plain, and i train everything to this flat plain. With some fan leaf removal, and staggered flowering stages, i can actually overlap a few different plains, (without too much shadow) as a wrap them around my cooltubes. (Young plants [without buds to block light] upfront; arranged similar to how mini blinds function.)

I do all of this in tents, on flood tables, and I use milk crates to vary the plant height.

zip ties are a growers best friend.

any photos of this cool sounding trellis?

O

otis33

scrog:
picture.php
picture.php

vscrog:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

O

otis33

trellis is a very valuable tool, the first pic is two different strains that would have been impossible to grow on the same table without one. it didn't, however, help the fact that they require differing nutrient programs. that's a different thread though.