What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Garden By The Moon

L

LolaGal

If you're here that means you want to learn how to use the Moon's phases and traditional planting knowledge to give your grows that extra edge. Gardening by the Moon has been practiced for eons. There is a simple reason why farmers have utilized this method...it works. Using Gardening by the Moon will ensure healthier plants with bigger yields and fewer problems.

I will be using what is known as the Tropical Zodiac. Some publications, like the Farmer's Almanac use sidereal zodiac for plotting. This explains why one publication says the Moon is in one sign & another publication says something different. The Tropical Zodiac is more accurate for our purposes.

Gardening By The Moon involves 1) Moon's Sign 2) Phase of the Moon

Moon's Sign: Here are the signs of the Moon and what each is used for

Moon in Aries - Barren, dry, fiery and masculine. Use for destroying noxious weeds.

Moon in Taurus - Productive, moist, earthy and feminine. Use for planting many crops when hardiness is important, particularly root crops. Also used for leafy vegetables.

Moon in Gemini - Barren and dry, airy and masculine. Use for destroying noxious growths, weeds, and pests, and for cultivation.

Moon in Cancer - Fruitful, moist, feminine. Use for planting & irrigation.

Moon in Leo - Barren, dry, fiery, masculine. Use for killing weeds or cultivation.

Moon in Virgo - Barren, moist, earthy and feminine. Use for killing weeds or cultivation.

Moon in Libra - Semi-fruitful, moist, and airy. Use for planting crops that need good pulp growth. A very good sign for flowers & vines. Also used for seeding.

Moon in Scorpio - Very fruitful and moist, watery & feminine. Nearly as productive as Cancer: use for the same purposes. Especially good for vine growth and sturdiness.

Moon in Sagittarius - Barren and dry, fiery and masculine. Use for planting Onions, seeding and for cultivating.

Moon in Capricorn - Productive and dry, earthy, and feminine. Use for planting root crops.

Moon in Aquarius - Barren, dry, airy and masculine. Use for cultivating and killing noxious growths and pests.

Moon in Pisces - Very fruitful, moist, watery and feminine. Especially good for root growth.

Phases of The Moon: There are 4 quarters of the Moon. The Moon is full at the 3rd quarter and decreases during the 4th. The New Moon is first quarter and the moon is growing bigger through the 2nd quarter.

First Quarter - Plant yearly crops (annuals) producing their yield above the ground, which are generally of the leafy kind that produce seeds outside their fruit. Some examples are lettuce, asparagus, spinach.

Second Quarter - Plant annuals producing their yield above ground, which are generally the viney kind that produce seeds inside fruit. An example would be beans, melons, tomatoes, etc. There are many plants that do well equally, planted in 1st or 2nd such as cannabis.

Third Quarter - Plant bulbs, root plants, trees, etc. Good for planting when you want explosive root growth. I like this quarter for Cannabis planting best. All my roots go wild! Great for hydro setups too.

Fourth Quarter - This is the best time to cultivate, pull weeds, destroy pests of all kinds. Especially true when Moon is in Aries, Leo, Virgo, Gemini, Aquarius and Sagittarius.

These methods dramatically increase germination rates, growth, flowering and makes harvest easier.

Planting: Root crops are best planted in Taurus or Capricorn. Fruit bearing plants are best if planted in a sign that supports seed growth. Leaf plants are best planted when the Moon is in a water sign.

Transplanting: It is recommended you transplant when the Moon is decreasing, when forces are streaming into the lower part of the plant. The encourages root growth.

Flowering: To help get larger buds, flip to 12/12 when Moon is in Libra. This will also increase fragrance of flowers and oil production. More intense aromas are noted.

Harvesting: Harvest when Moon is in a dry sign (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius, Gemini, Aquarius) and decreasing. Harvest in the 3rd or 4th quarters in dry signs. This discourages mold growth. Note: Don't forget to check your Trichomes for harvest readiness!

Dry Crops: Best if done in the third quarter in fire signs. This will help guard against buds molding.

So there you go! The basics to Gardening by The Moon are all here. I recommend Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book for easy to use charts of the Moon's Progress. Have fun! You will definitely notice surprising results with this method. Even makes things taste better!

Every week in this thread, I post an update called "Week Ahead in Moon Gardening". It will usually be on the last couple of pages of this thread! I usually post it on Saturday or Sunday. All you need is the first page, and to find out what signs things are in. I will usually tell you, so you don't have to keep coming back to look things up. I enjoy doing this & hope it will help all of you who want to get your plants back to a more natural rhythm.

Some people ask me "Why bother?" First, you've got to do the work anyway, so why not do it at the optimal time? Second, I see results with this method! You will too!

Last edited:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Illuminate me

Illuminate me

Wow! you have been busy.

Went back in my journal to see when I cut clones n planted beans.

Don't know squat about signs n astrology but I do have a moon n tide calendar.
And there does seem to be a co-relation 'tween growth speed, etc. and moon phase for my outdoor plants.
The indoor girls seem un-affected by moon phase. At least I see no obvious effect.
Makes me think it has more to do with night darkness, (photoperiod), than gravity, (tides).
I'm guessing that you've done some fancy thinking about the mechanisms involved.
Would you care to share those thoughts?

Mahalo nui.
Weezard

L

LolaGal

I always germ everything indoors and get it started. I give credit to my 100% germ rates to Lunar planting.

There's a lot of studies, speculation and theories out there about how it works.

I feel it's a gravitational force caused by the Moon. Just like tides. I feel it causes more uptake of water into the seed, from the surrounding soil.

No, I can't put my finger on one particular reason why it works. My grandfather taught it to me. His gardens were always awesome. It does work well for me!

A good example is the last two times I germed beans. The first germ was in the 3rd quarter, good for rooting and root crops. Those plants have wild roots, I can hardly keep em in a pot 2 weeks without transplanting. The second germ was in the first quarter. Those plants popped great, but do not have such well developed root systems. Only difference is planting time. All other factors are the same.

Every time I read a thread where someone is complaining their seeds won't pop, sure enough date given is in a barren moon sign.

Can you successfully germ/grow without this method? Sure! I just feel it gives my plants an extra edge and helps prevent problems.

Thanks for stopping by!
Lola

C

Cracky

I don't follow or understand the moon phases or zodiak calendar but I'd like to be able to use that information. I have germinated on the full moon before (100%) but I don't know what the phases are or any of the rest.
Thanks for putting up that stuff, lolag

L

LolaGal

I don't follow or understand the moon phases or zodiak calendar but I'd like to be able to use that information. I have germinated on the full moon before (100%) but I don't know what the phases are or any of the rest.
Thanks for putting up that stuff, lolag

You are welcome Shov! err Cracky! Full moon starts at beginning of 3rd quarter. Then as moon wanes it gets smaller in 4th quarter. 1st quarter, no moon in sky. 2nd quarter moon gets bigger....It's easy...

Just make sure Moon signs are obtained from Tropical Zodiac source. Farmer's Almanac not good for this....

L

LolaGal

This thread is not going to turn into a debate about whether this method works. I refuse to participate. This thread is intended to help those already interested in this method.

If you notice, this is stated in the first sentence of this thread. If the Mods want to close this thread down due to lack of evidence, they can just wipe it off the server anytime.

Also, I'm not trying to fool anybody or charge money to those who read this....It's all free. This is the last post I will make on the validity of this method. Enjoy, learn and have better crops with Gardening By The Moon Method.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Lola..an attempt to teach me something new..not sure if it has worked on me yet..I'm rather slow at everything! Old and in the way..DD

G

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=103972

I really enjoy these moon cycle threads.

For one, I think the moon is a very powerful force. Something that has not been fully understood by people. (not just with regard to growing plants either)

Back to the question:

Lunar growing is a very complex method, although it can be accomplished fairly easy. Start with the basics and progress from there.

A general rule of thumb when the moon is waxing, plants develop leaves and above ground systems. When the moon is waning, plants develop their root systems. Planting leafy crops such as our fav. plant =) that grow above ground are best sown at waxing moon, and those that will require strong root systems or grow below ground should be sown after full moon, in the waning phase.

Naturally good gardening techniques must also be followed, but paying attention to the moon phases may be quite rewarding. Since we are able to anticipate the phases, we can plan ahead and maximize the connection between the solar system and biological cycles to gain optimum results.

The moon symbolizes emotions, instincts, habits, and routine. It describes the ways in which we feel most nurtured and secure. The moon also reflects the public mood as it changes signs every two to two and a half days.

Waxing moon is a growing moon and includes these phases: New Moon, Crescent Moon, First quarter Moon, and Gibbous Moon.

Waning moon is a shrinking moon and includes these phases: Full Moon, Disseminating Moon, Second Quarter Moon, and Balsamic Moon.

Crescent moon phase is when the best germination occurs and is a good time for thinning out seedlings to give room for the rapid growth that occurs at the next phase. Gibbous moon phase is when there is a greater uptake of nutrients from the soil, and swelling of fruits. Disseminating moon is an excellent time for seed setting and ripening. Balsamic phase is the best time for destroying weeds, pruning trees, and all preparation for the next cycle.

It is important that you should not do any gardening task at the exact time of a phase. Wait a few hours. Each of the exact phase positions marks a critical time as the moon makes a shift from one phase to the next.

Because the sun stays in a sign for a full month there are some months that are better for certain gardening tasks than others. Interfacing the sun cycle and the moons cycle takes a little skill but is not difficult once you apply the logic.

If the sun is in a fertile sigh for a month, then you should take advantage of that month to do some gardening. Naturally the best results occur when the moon is also in a fertile sign and the correct phase with the sun. The best days for doing specific tasks will depend on the moons sign. To synthesize the phase with the sign is important in planting. There is no point in planting at the correct phase, if the moon is in an incompatible sign. One which might damage or inhibit growth.

Remember the sun stays in a sign for a month, the moon passes through all 12 signs in a month. Translates to 2 and a half days per sign roughly. A new moon always occurs when the sun and moon are in the same sign. A full moon occurs when the moon is in the opposite sign to the sun.

Hope this helps

here is another...

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=58921&highlight=moonphase

kish

Everytime i see the title of this thread, i want it to read "Garden On The Moon"..

Oh well, maybe one day.

L

LolaGal

Yat Yat: Thanks for the heads up, read the other threads! Neat

Kish: LOL! I don't wanna garden on the Moon! I bet it would either be too hot or too cold! I can't even keep the girls temp in grow room regulated with this weird weather we are having in the South! 2 days ago it was 18, today it is 63...and I bet it gets hotter! Maybe it will kill off all the ticks with this freeze, thaw, freeze! That would be great for my outdoor plans next spring. At least the girls are getting some much needed fresh air this AM.

Thanks for stopping by & chatting me up! Me & the girls are lonesome.....I bet we will be more popular in 55 more days....when they finish! LOL

L

LolaGal

Thanks Stoner Gardener...I checked it out & didn't see what sign the moon was in though...maybe I missed it... :)

G

Yat Yat: Thanks for the heads up, read the other threads! Neat

Thanks for stopping by & chatting me up! Me & the girls are lonesome.....I bet we will be more popular in 55 more days....when they finish! LOL

Lola! That was not my intention. Around these parts, no topic is taboo even if it has been discussed before. Some feel the need to type "search" or say something rude like that, where I would be more than happy to search for you or even add to the discussion if the info pertains.

Some people are just too cool to read the same topics, me???? Huge nerd....

I enjoy the uneducated questions just as much as the advanced ones I can barely grasp the underlying ideas. As well as everything in between....

there is more than one way to skin a potato, so sometimes more than one topic is needed.....

L

LolaGal

Lola! That was not my intention. Around these parts, no topic is taboo even if it has been discussed before. Some feel the need to type "search" or say something rude like that, where I would be more than happy to search for you or even add to the discussion if the info pertains.

Some people are just too cool to read the same topics, me???? Huge nerd....

I enjoy the uneducated questions just as much as the advanced ones I can barely grasp the underlying ideas. As well as everything in between....

there is more than one way to skin a potato, so sometimes more than one topic is needed.....

No offense taken Yat! Glad to have you drop by! I've seen some other threads on the subject, but just thought it made sense to tell HOW to garden by the moon. It's a fun subject for me.. and all I can offer the community.

My growing skills are not as great as others, but I try and help out where I can. Lots of peeps keep saying "My seeds didn't germ". I really think this will help.

Those beans can be expensive! A good friend gave me some SSH seeds, & I know they were like $50 for 5 fem seeds, I wanna give em EVERY chance!

Thanks again for dropping by! Come back anytime & chat me up some more!

Lola