What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Judge calls cop who ate marijuana chocolate seized in raid a ‘Complete Idiot'

R

Robrites

A Toronto police officer who stole and ate a marijuana-laced chocolate bar seized during a pot-shop raid was a “complete idiot” for tampering with evidence, a judge said Friday as the man pleaded guilty in the case.
Vittorio Dominelli, a 36-year-old constable who resigned from the force this week, pleaded guilty to attempting to obstruct justice in connection with the January incident.
Justice Mary Misener, who presided over the case, said Dominelli’s actions were on the low end of the spectrum when it came to evidence tampering, but were nonetheless significant.

“From the point of view of public interest, the impact is profound,” she said. “The conduct here you cannot describe as anything other than stupid.”
Misener added that the fact that Dominelli had taken a marijuana-infused item was not the issue.

“He might have taken cough syrup or a pair of woolly comfortable socks that he wanted to try on his feet,” she said. “It’s interfering with evidence.”
Dominelli, the son of a longtime Toronto officer and a father of three, was part of a team that raided an illegal marijuana dispensary around 5 p.m. on Jan. 27, according to an agreed statement of facts read out in court by Crown attorney Philip Perlmutter.
The officer, armed and dressed in plainclothes, agreed to go get pizza for the squad as they were going through the pot shop, court heard. While walking out of the store, Dominelli saw several cannabis-oil-infused chocolate bars, which he pocketed.
He and his partner, Const. Jamie Young, went to a nearby pizza place where Dominelli began to have second thoughts about taking the chocolate bars, Perlmutter said.
Dominelli told Young about his reservations and wanted to leave the bars at the pizza place but his partner disagreed with his idea, court heard.

After the raid was concluded around 11 p.m., Dominelli and Young were re-assigned to conduct surveillance on an after-hours bar, court heard. Dominelli then spoke about the then-looming legalization of recreational marijuana and the pair chatted about how neither had tried cannabis, court heard.
“He assumed it would be a minor mellow feeling,” Perlmutter said, reading from the agreed statement of facts. “He did not think consuming a small amount would impair each officer.”
The pair consumed all eight squares of one chocolate bar while on their surveillance mission and became “seriously intoxicated,” court heard.
Young has been charged with attempting to obstruct justice and breach of trust in connection with the incident, but the allegations against her have not been proven in court.
Dominelli said he initially didn’t feel anything but after about 20 minutes, the effects of the cannabis-infused chocolate hit him “like a ton of bricks,” court heard.
“He was sweating heavily and believed he was going to pass out,” Perlmutter told court.

Dominelli thought he was going to die, court heard. He asked his partner to radio for help, but she refused.
The officer eventually grabbed the radio from his partner, ran up the street and called for help.
“Send an ambulance,” a breathless Dominelli tells the dispatcher on the call, which was played in court.
When questioned by the dispatcher, Dominelli is heard saying he’s going to pass out.
“Are you injured? Did anything happen?” the dispatcher asks.
“I’m just lightheaded,” Dominelli says.
When other officers rushed to the scene one of them slipped on ice and suffered a severe head injury, court heard. That officer still has “significant difficulties with speech and vision,” and remains off work 10 months later.
Court also heard that seven people were charged in the pot-shop raids, but those charges were dropped due to Dominelli’s actions.
Peter Brauti, Dominelli’s lawyer, told court his client is remorseful and ashamed.
“I would say it was an act of utter stupidity, quite frankly,” Brauti said. “He has done everything he can to show remorse and make reparation for what he’s done.”
Dominelli offered to resign within weeks of the incident, the lawyer said. He is also depressed, shakes when he speaks and cries when talking about the incident, Brauti said.
The Crown is proposing a conditional sentence for Dominelli to be served in the community while the defence is arguing for a conditional discharge. A charge of breach of trust was withdrawn.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...who-ate-marijuana-laced-chocolate-bar-seized/

Brother Nature

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read in a while, sounds like a sketch from Super Troopers or some other b-grade stoner movie. Imagine being a spectator to that debacle, do feel sorry for the guy who slipped on ice and injured himself severely, but damn, thinking about how it all would have went down makes me chuckle. Canada's finest. lol

G

GatorGumbo

“He might have taken cough syrup or a pair of woolly comfortable socks that he wanted to try on his feet,” she said.

That's actually not a terrible comparison to cannabis.

R

Robrites

“From the point of view of public interest, the impact is profound,” she said. “The conduct here you cannot describe as anything other than stupid.”

PDX Dopesmoker

He is also depressed, shakes when he speaks and cries when talking about the incident, Brauti said.

Wow, traumatized for life by a weed edible. I guess everything in Reefer Madness was correct, cannabis is dangerous stuff.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I can't believe that prick was willing to leave those candy bars @ the pizza joint, kids, small kids might have found them, in my mind THAT'S the most fucked up part of the story.......

therevverend

Veteran
Wow he's permafried. I agree with the judge the man is an idiot. Gobbling down a bunch of chocolate edibles is not the same as a couple bong hits. I'll bet he never touches cannabis again. That must have been a horrible trip.
And spazzing out over the mike, getting the other officers to come running. One slips and falls and now's a vegetable. Classic stuff.

PDX Dopesmoker

I'm thinking the trauma is far more than that. Per the article, this is a second generation cop and a father of three. In one moronic lapse in judgement he disgraced his father, lost his ability to provide for his children and became a world-wide laughing stock. Imagine having to deal with that kind of personal failure, and for something so utterly fucking stupid.

It would destroy a lot of people.

It was his father that raised him to have that absurd sense of entitlement to begin with. I can't believe you're really trying to explain away a thieving, entitled pig with sticky fingers as "just a momentary lapse of judgement", the guy has been stealing all day everyday for his entire police career and before that when he was in school he stole from his friends. He was bound to drink the horse laxative whisky eventually and I'm happy it made the newspapers when he did.

Nico Farmer

Dominelli said he initially didn’t feel anything but after about 20 minutes, the effects of the cannabis-infused chocolate hit him “like a ton of bricks,” court heard.
“He was sweating heavily and believed he was going to pass out,”

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

therevverend

Veteran
I think you guys are underrating how powerful edibles can be, especially concentrates. Especially to a naive first time user. Who's a paranoid corrupt cop who's already freaked out because he stole something on duty, has to do his serious serious job, and can't go home and put a blanket over his head. It sounds like he had a real meltdown if his screaming brought a bunch of his colleagues running over ice thinking someone's life was in danger.

Ingested concentrated cannabis is a powerful psychedelic on the level of LSD and psilocybin. I've eaten a concentrated edible after not getting high for a couple of years. I fried for 12 hours. A minute felt like hours. I had to tie down the furniture and lay in bed with the psychedelic portal to Wonderland spinning in front of me all night. That was what I'd consider a fairly moderate dose and I'm an experienced tripper. I'm guessing they ate 10-20 doses?

Psychedelics and mental illness are a bad combination. I'd imagine the instant celebrity he's experiencing, what the above posters have mentioned, has him pretty unhinged. I'll bet if he smells pot, thinks about his trip, or hears someone talking about pot he becomes nauseous and uncomfortable. He's perma-fried, fucked off.

Whenever I read stories like this I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge these cops have about the drugs they are policing. I believe there was a similar incident in the States a few years ago with a hilarious 911 call where the guy thought he was dead/dying. Don't these officers receive any training on the effects of the drugs they are throwing people in jail for using? You'd think so. In the end, I feel sorry for the guy. He might not be able to get a job as a mall cop now and he has three kids. Maybe he can work for an LP?:moon: