What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make the best dry ice hash...

Budley Doright

Veteran
NOt that this is exactly high tech... but thats a good thing.....its the process I use....

I use bubble bags with the largest holes....220µ Blue Bag

AN odd choice for pure hash....

after all the shaking is done.....simply put the result in a large jar.... fill with water and mix well....
I use a small hand mixer.....about 10 dollars as I recall......

The vegetative material floats....the good stuff sinks.....

Just pour the crap off and repeat until there is little crap on the top...

WHen finished most of the bad stuff will be gone.....

Im only posting because a few folks use dry ice but few do the water wash process....

I hope this has some value to a few folks....

G

I've thought about doing this. My worry is that it mutes the taste of the hash. What have you noticed?

Budley Doright

Veteran
This was largely a combination of two or 3 methods Ive seen...

Dry ice hash.... a method using normal ice and water that I call gumby hash....and normal bubble hash....

2 of the 3 use water.....

Frankly it turns out great..... if you watch the videos of people making dry ice hash....

they have these piles of varying amounts of green.....

I shake the shit literally with the dry ice because I know the water wash will remove the green stuff....

It works really well......

Ive never seen anyone else do it....and have no idea why.....

PDX Dopesmoker

Clever processing method, thanks for posting it.
I occasionally have significant amounts of 250 micron cold sift and have been wondering about potential methods of cleaning it up some. So far rosin has been the ticket (smoking fat bowls of sift is fine too of course), but using sift as the starting material for the gumby method is pretty clever, I'm gonna have to check it out next time I get the opportunity.
Double points for using the gumby technique as secondary refining step to purify high quality material.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I had hoped it would do some folks some good....

Let me say this about the end of the process....

From the tall jar...I bought a gallon jar of pickles at walmart.... I then pour the goodies into a tupperware container .. a large margarine container or the like would work too....

The large jar should have only a modest amount of water in it...... swirl and stir it to get the hash moving...... the pour it out quickly and then rinse the jar......

then once it settles 30 minutes is sufficient........ very slowly ......pour off the excess water and then its ready to dry ...

Back in the day during my military service days I was stationed in Turkey .....

now the turks had some great hash.... the way we pressed the hash powder there.....

was to make packets out of florists cellophane.... it still comes in many colors....

I have bought the stuff at walmart.....I presume florists would have the stuff too....

I make packets using cellophane or branded scotch tape....

We used a wet wash cloth and a dry clothes iron to heat the packet thoroughly then we stepped on the hot packet pressing it into a firm substance.....to make it more smokeable...... alternatively the packet could be placed in wet paper towel and heated in a hot pan on the stove....but not too hot...... you dont want to melt the cellophane..... then again step on it for a couple minutes to press the hash.....

I have found that regardless of the source material..... hashish pretty much tastes the same....unlike concentrates......

One further tip..... I actually use 2 jars..... the large 1 gallon pickel jar and a quart jar.....

I pour the crap from the one gallon jar into the quart jar...... initially there will be quite a few trichs caught in the green material....

SO once again ..... hit it with the mixer...... once the quart jar settles out..... I pour off the green material then add whats left in the quart jar back to the gallon jar...... simply look at the bottom of the quart jar to make sure there is enough good material to bother with.... initially I find there is......

If you have any questions ..... feel free to ask....

Budley Doright

Veteran
I tried to do dry sifting myself...... and I found the process to be a pita....

the reason why dry ice normally is a fail.....is because its hard to get good yields and not get green crap....

SInce Im unafraid of getting green crap in my product I get good yields when all is said and done.....

I might not get every trichome but I get most of em....

The advantage is I can easily process large amounts in a 5 gallon bucket.......

One day we will get together and compare.....You dont live that far from me.....

when I see you I will be packin'......

Hooter

I'm confused sounds like you are talking about ice water hash. I thought dry ice used no water. Just freeze the trichromes with dry ice shake the bag trichromes fall out. Am I missing something? I'm buzzed right now that could be the problem.

OK I get it now combining both processes.

Last edited:

Budley Doright

Veteran
:dunno:

the opposite, hashes have a bigger smell n taste universe

A study conducted by Jean-Jaques Filippi, Marie Marchini, Céline Charvoz, Laurence Dujourdy and Nicolas Baldovini (“Multidimensional analysis of cannabis volatile constituents: Identification of 5,5-dimethyl-1-vinylbicyclo[2.1.1]hexane as a volatile marker of hashish, the resin of Cannabis sativa L.“) at the end of 2014 seems to have found the answer to this question. According to these researchers, the typical “hashish flavour” of many resin extracts made from dried and oxidized buds comes from the degradation of a single terpene, which creates an unusual and rare monoterpene (5,5-dimethyl-1-vinylbicyclo[2.1.1]hexane). The five researchers propose in their study a name for this particular monoterpene, Hashishene. While the rearrangement of myrcene and the formation of 5,5-dimethyl-1-vinylbicyclo[2.1.1]hexane was already investigated by Robert S. H. Liu and George S. Hammond in 1965 (US 3380903 A), this phenomenon had never been observed before in hashish samples.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I'm confused sounds like you are talking about ice water hash. I thought dry ice has used no water. Just freeze the tricks shake the bag tricks fall out. Am I missing something? I'm buzzed right now that could be the problem.

First I make hash with dry ice.....

Then I use water to allow the green material to float.....

the green crap is skimmed from the top......

the trichomes are the only things that sink while the plant matter and all other contaminants float?? if so, this is brilliant and what i may be trying for my first hash run :)

Budley Doright

Veteran
the trichomes are the only things that sink while the plant matter and all other contaminants float?? if so, this is brilliant and what i may be trying for my first hash run :)

If you dry the material from the dry ice treatment..... the other stuff floats.... eventually as the material is waterlogged it may begin to sink....... but the vast majority of the crap will float.....:tiphat:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Yup.... It comes out similar quality to bubble....I need only one bag.....the one with the largest holes....and its really easy to do......

Just make sure you mix the hell out of it so the trichs drop from the crap......

Thats why I put the first batch of floaters in a jar with lots of water.....then use a hand mixer to get the trichs off the trash...

Unless someone comes up with something really cool I cant imagine using a different process.....

is there a bag(s) you recommend i purchase? i was initially looking at bubblemans bags but DAMN its hard to pull the trigger on bags when the price tag is 300+ lol