What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legalization and its affect on pure sativa cultivation.

Will the legalization of marijuana create a larger supply of high quality pure sativa production?

Currently, the most popular strains are of the indica-dominant or hybrid variety. Indica's have shorter flowering times and do not need as much room to grow indoors which made them a better suited cash-crop for legal/illegal operations. This is why we do not see as much of high quality pure sativas available at dispensaries or on the streets. They generally take longer to grow and produce less which equates to lower revenues. More risk, less reward for sativas.

Now that risk is or will become less of a concern. Will we see trends shift in favor of sativa cultivation?

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've noticed a switch to sativa leaning strains being more desired
over the last couple years and contribute it to a couch lock burn out I.E. indica overdose..lol
In my opinion and from I read...
I would guess a sativa-dominant stain without the panic amp
that finishes in under 70 will be a go to in the coming years
then sooner or later people will miss the
indica Dom strains and so back on that path we will go...lol
Yet...
Who knows what will be available in 10-20 years...
Go to back to the 70s and show a hippie and photo of today's
strains and ask if he thinks it a real photo...lol

Man... Our kids are some lucky mo-fo's...

As for legalization having an effect...
Makes sense it would spark more sativa growing as more and more
people change over to (or start) personal grows and most people like
a mix of flavors in their personal jar collection...

I know when I was buying my smoke. I would look for Sativa dom strain and pay a little
more for a good one so like anything that takes longer to produce.
I would guess a pure sativa might cost more in a retail shop and there by, be worth
growing as the market floods even more with choices and mass quantities of Indica doms..

Perhaps Marlboro will make and Indica Red pack and Sativa Blue... Screw menthol...lol
Wait... Menthol marijuana... Hummm... haha...
2 cents...AD...

Last edited:

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will the legalization of marijuana create a larger supply of high quality pure sativa production?

Now that risk is or will become less of a concern. Will we see trends shift in favor of sativa cultivation?

That would be fanfuckintastic! Hadn't let my mind wander that far ahead, but it does make sense. In areas that are suitable for outdoor grown sativas under the cheap sun, I'd bet for certain their will be a burgeoning sativa farming market. The lower part of the states closest to the equator. California going to have to legalize it, been a lot of reports that Cali is going to be the next state to legalize.

Gelado`

Veteran
I'm sure the cannabis market will go like the scotch or wine market, with connoisseur grade stuff. the single malt equivalent will be pure landrace strains and will sell at a premium for sure. Good things are coming. :)

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Once enough people realize that long flowering sativas can take you places that the mumbo jumbo crosses will not.

Ranger

legalizing will bring quite a bit to the table. i suppose we will have to be vigilant so as not to get our crop pollinated by someone on the other side of the mountain, so to speak. i know for me i will still breed indoors so as to maintain strain variates in their original form.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I don't think it will change.
Most businesses operate to make money and as much of it as they can in a given amount of time.
It's not nearly as profitable to grow lower yielding plants that flower for 16-21 weeks indoors as it is to flower high yielding plants that finish in 11.

There is not many places in the US that can finish these strains outdoors, especially places that will be legal anytime soon so they'd have to be done indoors, and that would be a very expensive crop. So unless you were getting paid more per unit to compensate for the extra work I just don't see it happening.

If there was enough of a market for long flowering sativa's that's all they'd be growing in Jamaica and Columbia, but if you look at what they grow down there they grow a lot of fast flowering dutch now.

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Here in Denver there may be sativas available, but try to find one that was grown longer than 60 days.

Making money is trumping quality here. The stores pump out their product to get a return on their investment. Do you want that cured? Probably ain't going to happen either. :)

I have been keeping an eye out on Denver and Cali to see if long flowering sativas have been popping up in dispensaries. I haven't seen anything really outside the Jack Herers, Lambs Bread, Durban Poisons, and maybe a Kali Mist here and there. Those are all around 70+ days. All good strains, but it would be nice to enjoy something a tad more exotic. Hopefully the flooding of markets creates niche markets for the sativa breeders/connessouirs.
After reading a DJ Short article on breeding and observing the trend in Dutch and American seed production it seems breeders have been focused on making sativas flower faster without losing potency/flavor by adding in indica in their genetics. So it seems with continued legalization those particular breeders might phase out more of the indica genetics or maybe i am wrong and they do enjoy the indica aspects. My judgement is skewed since i favor sativas effects.

In any case, i will be investing in Ace and Cannabiogen seeds in the near future. Anyone else have any suggestions on pure landraces??

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Both Ace and Cannabiogen can't be beat for what you are looking for.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
a "proper" 70s lambsbread ? surely worth the price of any vintage wine ,,,,,s2

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I'm sure the cannabis market will go like the scotch or wine market, with connoisseur grade stuff. the single malt equivalent will be pure landrace strains and will sell at a premium for sure. Good things are coming. :)

This is my sentiment exactly, there will be the hard strains just get ya all mish mashed, and then the good stuff lite toking buds or oils etc.

Good for sight from the OP

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Once the civilized world is legal there will be a market for anything, quality of a product will always determine the price in an open market.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
For sure man, just like the Scotch's and the wines, there will always be someone tapping the market, You can buy a $10 bottle of wine or a $1 million bottle, just depends which shipwreck it came off of.

You can be sure there will be a market for everything people want and seek out.

Peace

Gelado`

Veteran
One thing I hope to see is more quality outdoor pot; once it's legal, people won't be restricted to concealing grows indoors. I definitely have pure sativa weather, but short of trekking through the jungle, I'm restricted to indoor growing for now!

Ranger

Here in Denver there may be sativas available, but try to find one that was grown longer than 60 days.

Making money is trumping quality here. The stores pump out their product to get a return on their investment. Do you want that cured? Probably ain't going to happen either. :)

people actually do that, grow sativas and chop them half way through flower? i suppose they could and probably do, but that's sad.

i think Uruguay may be a good kick off point for some fine mass sativa production, wouldn't that be cool for all those who cannot grow.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
well as fl votes in a mmj bill I would guess that some will go crazy w/them. you have a great year round climate and a proposed law that does not limit plant count for licensed ag. farms so going thru large numbers each year will be easy.

Latest posts

Latest posts