What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pritzger unveils cannabis legalization bill

Green Thumb

Well folks, here is what is out so far on IL SB 0007 verbiage. Was hoping for more home grow allowance.

Link to source: https://capitolfax.com/2019/05/04/pritzker-unveils-cannabis-legalization-bill/

Pritzker unveils cannabis legalization bill

Saturday, May 4, 2019

**CBS 2…

Governor JB Pritzker and key lawmakers announced a bill Saturday that would allow adults over the age of 21 to legally purchase cannabis from licensed dispensaries in Illinois on January 1, 2020.

According to the Governor’s Office, the measure will be introduced Monday as an amendment to Senate Bill 7.

“Years of work by stakeholders across Illinois means that today we are putting forward a framework for the General Assembly to move forward this session to legalize adult use cannabis, and we welcome additional feedback and insight during this debate,” Pritzker said.

The full press release*is here. A detailed summary*is here. The actual legislative language*is here.

* A few press release*quotes…

“This legislation puts social justice first by acknowledging the damages to overpoliced communities during prohibition,” said Senator Toi Hutchinson. “The expungement program is the most ambitious and comprehensive in the nation, creating a mechanism for erasing hundreds of thousands of offenses. It creates investment in the overpoliced communities through the ROC [Restoring Our Communities] program, and it creates a low-interest loan program as well as a social equity applicant status, so that communities of color can reap the benefits of legalization.” * […]
“For decades, our cannabis laws have been unfairly applied against minorities, distorting the populations in our jails and prisons,” said Representative Celina Villanueva. “And as a practical matter, cannabis prohibition has been just as ineffective, inefficient and problematic as alcohol prohibition was. It is time to bring a measure of fairness to our laws, revenue to our state to fund important programs, and justice to our communities. This bill will help us get there.” […]

“The Illinois State Police will be a responsible partner in enforcing the law and ensuring any and all provisions of adult use legislation are strictly and efficiently complied with,” said the ISP*Acting Director*Brendan Kelly. “We are committed to ensuring the safety of the residents of Illinois.”*

* Press release*meat…

Promoting Equity

Gov. Pritzker is committed to adopting the most equitable system in the country, and this measure proposes several first-in-the-nation ideas to achieve a more equitable outcome for diverse communities.

$20 Million Low Interest Loan Program
The bill establishes a $20 million low interest loan program through the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity for qualified applicants to help defray the start-up costs associated with entering the licensed cannabis industry. The loan program will be paid for with existing funds from the current medical cannabis program, along with fees from licenses for existing dispensaries and cultivators that are approved in the first round of applications.

Social Equity Applicants
The framework establishes licenses for “social equity applicants,” who will receive points during the application scoring process. Eligibility criteria for social equity applicants includes a number of factors, such as majority ownership by residents of disproportionately impacted communities, majority ownership by those who have arrests or convictions eligible for expungement and those who have a majority of employees who have been disproportionately impacted.

During the licensing process, “social equity applicants” will receive 25 points out of the 200 points. Bonus points will be awarded for several categories, including for Illinois-based applicants and applicants with a labor peace agreement.

Limitations on Ownership
In order to foster more diverse ownership, the framework proposes ownership restrictions to prevent the consolidation of ownership in a small group and allow a more business owners to participate in this new market. Among the requirements: no person or entity can hold an interest in more than three cultivation centers or in more than 10 dispensing organizations.

Licenses will also be approved in waves, beginning with current medical cannabis license holders, followed by additional licenses being granted in 2020 and 2021. This timeline also ensures that new entrants into the market can develop successful applications.

Restoring Our Communities Grants
The proposal creates a new grant, Restoring Our Communities, which will receive 25 percent of the revenue that comes from the sale of adult use cannabis. A 22-member board would oversee grant distribution to communities across the state that have suffered the most from discriminatory drug policies.

Expungement

The governor is committed to expunging criminal histories of minor violations of the Cannabis Control Act. The legislation establishes a process for automatic expungement that includes review from relevant law enforcement agencies, including State Police and States Attorney offices.

The automatic expungement process does not apply to individuals whose charges were accompanied by other charges. The attached summary includes a full description of the charges eligible for automatic expungement, along with the detailed process.

Once all vetting has occurred, the law requires that the conviction must be expunged.

Personal Use Parameters

Adults under 21 are prohibited from consuming cannabis, and cannabis cannot be consumed in any place where smoking is prohibited under the Smoke Free Illinois Act. Employers can discipline an employee or terminate employment if the employer’s employment policies or workplace drug policy is violated. Employers can adopt reasonable policies concerning drug testing, smoking, consumption, storage or use of cannabis in the workplace.

Possession limit for Illinois residents:

* 30 grams of cannabis flower
* 5 grams of cannabis concentrate
* 500 milligrams of THS contained in a cannabis-infused product, or
* >30 grams of raw cannabis grown by an eligible resident

Possession limit for non-Illinois residents:

* 15 grams of cannabis flower
* 2.5 grams of cannabis concentrate
* 250 milligrams of THS contained in a cannabis-infused product

Home Grow
The measure allows Illinois households to grow up to five cannabis plants if the grower is an adult 21 or older, is in a household that owns the residence, receives permission from the landlord, keeps the cannabis in a separately locked room to keep the cannabis away from members of the household who are under 21 and is not grown in public view.

Taxation and Costs

At the point of sale, products will be taxed at various rates, depending on the amount of THC. The cannabis purchaser excise tax is proposed at the following levels:

* 10% of the purchase price – cannabis with THC level at or below 35%
* 20% of the purchase price – all cannabis-infused products
* 25% of the purchase price – cannabis with THC level above 35%

Those who cultivate cannabis will be required to pay a 7% tax on their gross receipts from the sale of cannabis. This includes cultivators, craft growers and processors to a dispensing organization.

Preliminary estimates of the costs to administer the new law are roughly $20 million annually. Cost estimates will be finalized over the coming days.

Health and Safety

In order to raise awareness about the potential risks of using cannabis, the Department of Public Health will develop and disseminate educational materials for consumers and oversee the newly created Adult Use Cannabis Public Health Advisory Committee. The proposal also contains restrictions on advertising, packaging and label requirements, and warning requirements that must be posted in each dispensary.

In order to support substance abuse and mental health, 20% of the revenue generated by the sale of adult use cannabis will support efforts in those two areas.

Again,*click here*if you want to see a more detailed summary. The Illinois Department of Revenue will have a revenue estimate in the coming days.

* From that*summary…

LOCAL ORDINANCES

• Municipalities may pass ordinances prohibiting the establishments of dispensaries in their jurisdiction.

o Local units of government must adopt ‘opt out’ ordinances within one year of the effective date of the statute or they are limited to adopting ‘opt out’ provisions via local referendum.

* From the*legislation…

A unit of local government, including a home rule unit or any non-home rule county within the unincorporated territory of the county, may not regulate the activities described in paragraph (1) [home-grow], (2) [time, place, manner, and number of cannabis establishment operations], or (3) [consumption] in a manner more restrictive than the regulation of those activities by the State under this Act.

- Posted by*Rich Miller*at capitolfax.com

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Stakeholders got you covered, 10 dispos per stakeholder sounds about right AND we expunge yo ass after you purchase your first $75 eighth!

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You gotta buy cuz its illegal for me to give you a joint or seed or clone. What a joke.

Green Thumb

Keep the progress moving and start somewhere IMO, things have to change, I honestly doubt that many people logging in here are happy with the current status of Illinois pot laws and love it or hate it this is a start.

Love you're work Tony, when you start giving away joints, seeds, or clones keep me in mind. Until then, will be happy to continue buying your gear my friend.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still reading it all. Over 500 pages... Basically its legal if you buy it from them.
If you want a license very few will be issued.
If you want to give your mom some meds you are a criminal. Nothing kicks in until jan 1st...
Overly regulated and all the money forced into a chosen fews pocket.

I am not naive but i let myself fall into thinking illinois would have some sort of nirvana moment.

I have to read more but i saw some mention of "registered home grow"... Lot of bs to read through.

Green Thumb

Yep, reads that seeds and clones have to be purchased by liscenced dispensary....can't be gifted or sold. No discussion about gifting pollen though, that sparks some ideas.

Craft growing licenses available, sounds like this is the plan to keep from becoming centralised.

5 plants per household allowed. Can keep harvested amount in home, amount not defined. Can transport 30 grams.

So much definition jargon in the amendment. No talk on number of cultivation liscenes that I have come across.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Yep, reads that seeds and clones have to be purchased by liscenced dispensary....can't be gifted or sold. No discussion about gifting pollen though, that sparks some ideas.

Craft growing licenses available, sounds like this is the plan to keep from becoming centralised.

5 plants per household allowed. Can keep harvested amount in home, amount not defined. Can transport 30 grams.

So much definition jargon in the amendment. No talk on number of cultivation liscenes that I have come across.

rule about seeds & clones is impossible to enforce, they tossed a bone to regulators/dispensaries. craft growing? 5 plants? i fucking WISH for that here! if i need over 30 grams whilst out, i'm smoking too much, lol.:tiphat:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran

That bullshit 5 plants is just to keep us peasants calm while the med monopoly cashes in.
5-20 class 4 felony.

I also read a mention of "registered home grows" whatever that means....

100 pages on how and when to pay taxes or they seize your product.

The license limit is in there. I think it was 70 craft licenses by next summer 60 more two years later.
As a friend put it peanuts for the crows. Not gonna be first come first serve either so looks like if you dont have the right friends you may be out of luck.

Supply is going to be low and rec prices sky high.
Med patient demand is supposed to be first dibs. Med prices are already equal to top dollar...

Double the time if caught bringing in stuff from out of state.

Still rereading and digesting.... Whats the point of no legal grows until january if it passes??? Time for leo to make their last busts or idk makes no sense...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
rule about seeds & clones is impossible to enforce, they tossed a bone to regulators/dispensaries. craft growing? 5 plants? i fucking WISH for that here! if i need over 30 grams whilst out, i'm smoking too much, lol.:tiphat:

Med license holders paid millions lobbying for this bill. The entire thing is a bone to them.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone who read it think there will be constitutional challenges over the search and seizure section? Seems like a blowup of police power to say they can search your business without a warrant.

Green Thumb

I agree, so called black market trade is not going to disappear on seeds or clone. This just allows for better access in my opinion.

I feel like this at least gets us past the blockaid of prohibition, still has to pass the house and make it to governor's desk. Hope the momentum keeps. Marty Moylan (D) is being a that on trying to block this, still lots of hope.

Cheers,
GT

Green Thumb

Cannabis Legalization News

Link has Good/entertaining discussion from a cannabis industry lawyer from northern IL. Sounds like with current amendment language home grow/posession could possibly be legal when IL SB 7 passes, not 1//1/2020...just no licensed sale until 2020.

:woohoo:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trib reporting most likely cutting rec home grows and police not happy with med home grows because they cant monitor it.

If there is any home grow looks like it will be with med registration only and a dash of giving up your rights against illegal search and seizure as described for the 70 rec license holder.

We will see soon enough.

GRIMMCREEPER

If Illinois doesn't allow home grow in this bill, it never will. Since when does law enforcement have a say so on potential laws, I thought there job was to enforce them. Oh that's right were talking about Illinois here. Illinois+Politics=Corruption. They don't call it CROOK COUNTY for nothing. F*ck Illinois.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Illinois Sheriffs’ Association is demanding changes to Senate Bill 7 if legalization moves forward, including discouragement of impaired driving, removing the “home grow” proposal in the bill, and pulling back on expungements for people convicted of cannabis-related crimes.

Law enforcement also said they have inadequate resources to deal with the ramifications of marijuana legalization.

Lol

Cannabis Legalization News

Link has Good/entertaining discussion from a cannabis industry lawyer from northern IL. Sounds like with current amendment language home grow/posession could possibly be legal when IL SB 7 passes, not 1//1/2020...just no licensed sale until 2020.

:woohoo:

Please note this is the same attorney that was advocating people rent out lock boxes in their homes to grow more than 5 plants, even though the bill clearly states 5 per household (advising clients to commit a felony??). Also posting wrong fees for applicants after the full bill was available. He speaks confidently, but is wrong half the time, that's a big problem when it can result in jailtime or a felony conviction (just like 6 plants would be)...

The same attorney who was previously handling personal injury, and now claims to be a cannabis industry professional with no relevant history or experience... Just take a look at his website and all the unfinished links and pages... Either that or I'm missing the extreme significance of repeating the history of Lorem Ipsum over and over. Obviously he looked up a list of buzzwords and added those to his website's menu and forgot to add any substantial or relevant content...

Need to call out bullshit when it's there, and this joker is full of it, yet claiming to be a professional in highly regulated industry with stringent compliance. You've been warned, I'd stay far away.

The current version of the bill filed clearly states no home grow or possession until Jan 1st...

As far as the bill, it's a steaming pile of the chicago machine's bullshit. They're pulling homegrow and adding it to Bob Morgan's bill for med patients only.

Green Thumb

Opponents and previous proponents are now pulling their support with the amendment's proposed expungement language. Many are claiming they are not onboard with expunging felony cannabis charges.

And no home grow...this is getting worse quick.

Even if this passes with said changes there will be a supply crisis and goes back in the hands of illegal, non taxable, grows and so called black market sales. Black market is going to blow up if everyone can posess, but legal... aka taxable, supplies will be short and costly.

:crazy:

Green Thumb

Please note this is the same attorney that was advocating people rent out lock boxes in their homes to grow more than 5 plants, even though the bill clearly states 5 per household (advising clients to commit a felony??). Also posting wrong fees for applicants after the full bill was available. He speaks confidently, but is wrong half the time, that's a big problem when it can result in jailtime or a felony conviction (just like 6 plants would be)...

The same attorney who was previously handling personal injury, and now claims to be a cannabis industry professional with no relevant history or experience... Just take a look at his website and all the unfinished links and pages... Either that or I'm missing the extreme significance of repeating the history of Lorem Ipsum over and over. Obviously he looked up a list of buzzwords and added those to his website's menu and forgot to add any substantial or relevant content...

Need to call out bullshit when it's there, and this joker is full of it, yet claiming to be a professional in highly regulated industry with stringent compliance. You've been warned, I'd stay far away.

The current version of the bill filed clearly states no home grow or possession until Jan 1st...

As far as the bill, it's a steaming pile of the chicago machine's bullshit. They're pulling homegrow and adding it to Bob Morgan's bill for med patients only.

Little chance of homegrow from current news. Yeah man, I assume people would follow law and not a YouTube discussion video. Same reason I put "entertaining discussion" in first sentence.

X

xavier7995

That all sounds like it sucks. My elderly dad moved back to IL and had no problem getting a prescription from his dr. but the doc said it was a real uphill battle from there, dude just wants some 10mg caps to help sleep. A few people i know there are hoping home grows come through, going to do it regardless but sucks it doesnt seem that will be covered.

Anyone have insight on med home grows? I was hoping to stop having to mail crap and get my pop self sufficient.