What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is "White Privilege"? Might this "Privilege" extend further than a Racist conte

T

Teddybrae

What is "White Privilege"? Might this "Privilege" extend further than a Racist conte

I think I know but am not sure and would like other peoples' take on what it is.

I think it is when an Individual won't change their behaviour for the common good. Like a person not self isolating when showing Covid

Or in a different, more general context: an Individual believing that somehow s/he is above the Law.

Anyone clear on this? Please educate me ...

(EDIT: the last word of the Thread Title is 'context'.)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I think I know but am not sure and would like other peoples' take on what it is.

I think it is when an Individual won't change their behaviour for the common good. Like a person not self isolating when showing Covid

Or in a different, more general context: an Individual believing that somehow s/he is above the Law.

are you starting another thread pointing out chumps obvious deficiencies?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoBvzI-YZf4

Implicit bias exists when people unconsciously hold attitudes toward others or associate stereotypes with them. For free teaching and learning resources related to this topic, visit http://bit.ly/2RCzhIZ This video is a part of Ethics Unwrapped, a free online educational video series about ethics produced by the Center for Leadership and Ethics at The University of Texas at Austin. Ethics Unwrapped offers an innovative approach to introducing complex ethics topics and behavioral ethics ideas in a way that is accessible to both students and instructors. For more videos and teaching materials covering other ethics concepts, visit http://ethicsunwrapped.utexas.edu/ A complete playlist of Ethics Unwrapped videos available on YouTube may be found at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... © 2018 The University of Texas at Austin. All Rights Reserved.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
as white men, we have two less hurdles to jump.

that's not to undermine the hard work most of us have to do... we aren't billionaires and so still have to dig our heels in, but just that much less than women who have to deal with toxic masculinity (how would you like having to fear that you're gonna be raped or murdered by every dude you politely decline to date?)

and racial minorities

Gry

Am inclined to view it as an equivalent to currency. Sadly, there is damned little here that does not boil down to wage suppression.

Nexus7

"White" privilege is the knowledge "white" people gift "non-white" people so we can all live together on a similar level.

It would be hard for us "non-whites" to compete with "whites" when most of us were still living at a hunter-gatherer level by the time "whites" came to our respective countries and enlightened us. Sure we can get a little jealous beacause of their inherent superiority but we really are indebted to the "whites" for their kindness, allowing us to live along side them and for sharing with us their vast wealth of knowledge.

So thank-you all "whites" for your generosity and kindness. We are much richer for having you guys "in-charge" rather than China for instance.

T

Teddybrae

OK. I don't get the '... two less hurdles' but yes, MEN often behave, are trained to behave, as if they have rights OVER women. That they are allowed to behave as if privileged. (God! I 've done this myself! Damn you Mother!) EDIT: Oh. Now I get it! One hurdle is having black skin. The other is .... ?

as white men, we have two less hurdles to jump.

that's not to undermine the hard work most of us have to do... we aren't billionaires and so still have to dig our heels in, but just that much less than women who have to deal with toxic masculinity (how would you like having to fear that you're gonna be raped or murdered by every dude you politely decline to date?)

and racial minorities

T

Teddybrae

Took me a while to penetrate your sarcasm.

My Father used to go on about the Mau Mau in Kenya. "... after all the things we've done for them" he would say. Even as a 14 year old I would roll my eyes ...

"White" privilege is the knowledge "white" people gift "non-white" people so we can all live together on a similar level.

It would be hard for us "non-whites" to compete with "whites" when most of us were still living at a hunter-gatherer level by the time "whites" came to our respective countries and enlightened us. Sure we can get a little jealous beacause of their inherent superiority but we really are indebted to the "whites" for their kindness, allowing us to live along side them and for sharing with us their vast wealth of knowledge.

So thank-you all "whites" for your generosity and kindness. We are much richer for having you guys "in-charge" rather than China for instance.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran

(EDIT: the last word of the Thread Title is 'context'.)

If you haven't yet grasped the concept, you won't.

Or is this just a fresh piece of ground to get everyone fighting?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
prepare to be WOKEn up Teddy, it's a new way of thinking from another perspective, some call it Rationalization.
Very difficult to achieve these days "giggles" when "common sense" flew out the window years ago and, the dumbing down of the educational system throughout most of the world (over the years)

Latest posts

Latest posts