What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dual SP-150 in a 3'x3'

LouDog420

A little comparison grow testing LEDs. Thanks to Mars for the light. Some specs on the plan:

LED Space

• 3'x3'x6' tent
  • 2(qty) SP 150 LED lights (~260w total)
  • DTW Rockwool with raw salts and 4 feeds per day around 700 ppm (@.5)

HID Space

• 3' x 3' x 7' grow space
  • 400w HPS
  • DTW Coco, raw salts, 3 feeds per day @ ~700ppm

Strains

• OG Chem from Ganja Rebel - (SFV x Chem) x [5G's Yellow x (SFV x Chem)]
  • SUSQ Chem from a buddy - (Chem 4 x SD IBL) x (Chem D x SD IBL)
That's pretty much it, basic and quick run just testing out the lights and comparison to the usual HID. I've been fighting some issues in the grow space that seem to be clearing up, so hopefully things will stay smooth.

First impressions. The SP-150 lights seem well designed and sturdy. The space is running cool, almost too cool, compared to HID. Keeping the LED lights about 18" away from the canopy and running out of headroom quickly.

A few pics from the LED, we're well underway:

LED - Day 1 (wet from a foliar)
picture.php

LED - Day 9
picture.php

picture.php

LED - Day 15
picture.php

picture.php

Good vibes all, excited to see how they turn out!

LD

Last edited:

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
:woohoo: Thanks for the share, buddy. It's good to see you again here. The babies look good. They are green and healthy.

Good vibes all, cannot wait to see how they turn out!! :biggrin::biggrin:

LouDog420

LED (SP-150) - DAY 21

LED (SP-150) - DAY 21

Thanks for stopping by all.

LED Day 21 update... If you're having trouble with auto-rotating pics through IC's uploader like I was, see kritios's post down below! Thanks bud

Plants are doing great though! Definitely reduced stretch compared to HID, which right now is a good thing since I'm out of vertical space...

It should be getting interesting now with some stacks on stacks of buds starting up ;)

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
It is okay for the picture issue. we all can rotate it correctly. :biggrin:

Frow now on, they might grow vertically and become taller. :plant grow:

kritios

That's a great-lookin bunch of girls! Nice work.

You can fix the picture issue. If you open the picture with a photo editor and adjust the size (even slightly),then it won't rotate when you upload. Why? IDK but it works.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
That's a great-lookin bunch of girls! Nice work.

You can fix the picture issue. If you open the picture with a photo editor and adjust the size (even slightly),then it won't rotate when you upload. Why? IDK but it works.

Strange but workable way :laughing:

LouDog420

Thanks all, and especially for the picture note. Hopefully they stay healthy for the next couple months and reward with some satisfying pictures and meds. There is a similar 3' x 3' space running 400w of HPS with the same cuts that will be making an appearance for a bit of a comparison ;)

I did get a 2' x 2' tent from Mars alongside the SP-150. While small, it should be quite useful as a pollen tent for males.

Here's a reversed OG Chem and SUSQ Chem hanging out in the Mars Hydro 2' x 2' tent. Plants were reversed with homemade colloidal silver. I generally produce it as needed and make a quart of CS solution every two days. Spraying approximately 1-2 weeks before flip and daily until 21-28 days as male flowers start to open up.

There's low level lighting and minimal ventilation while they start to drop pollen over the next several weeks in their mars hydro tent isolation chamber.

The tent is well sealed. I've got pinholes all over a different tent from amazon, and through the zippers. The Mars hydro tent seems to have better light proofing without the same light-leak issues as of yet. It came with a few extra straps and attachments that are useful. The zippers could use a little oil, but a little harder to use is likely due to the additional lightproofing materials around the zippers which is preferred. All said, it seems like a great tent and will work well for male pollen collection.

picture.php

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
The comparison sounds very interesting. Hope to see the difference.

Our tent is better than most of tent suppliers. And our price is also very affordable. Honestly, the tent profit is very tight.

LouDog420

The Mars tent is absolutely better quality than the cheap amazon tent in my possession. I generally prefer to build out spaces with wood framing and panda poly or drywall/OSB, but a temporary tent is nice for ease of setup and takedown.

Below are pictures of a cheap amazon tent (Vipar Spectra brand) and the mars hydro tent from the front, with the main entry zipper shut and lights on. Very easy to see the material at the seams and lightproofing around the zipper are lacking on the amazon tent, while the mars tent shows no light leaks whatsoever. I tried hard to find some pinholes, couldn't do it...

Vipar Spectra tent
picture.php

Mars Hydro tent
picture.php

Last edited:

LouDog420

HID (400W HPS)

HID (400W HPS)

Here's a shot of the comparison space. It should make for a fun side by side. I'm of course interested in final yield, but probably moreso in quality and difference in finished products.

400w HPS in a roughly 3' x 3' x 7' space
Coco in 3 gallon smart pots
drip feed 3x daily @ ~700ppm
Same cuts as the LED SP-150 space (OG Chem and SUSQ Chem)

We're seeing more stretch and longer node spacing in the HPS area. Both spaces should do well, and if anything the rockwool/led space looks a bit healthier at this moment, and possibly developing just a bit more quickly. Time will tell.

HPS - Day 14
picture.php

HPS - Day 22
picture.php

Last edited:

LouDog420

DAY 28

DAY 28

Day 28 update for the spaces. I'll start getting some nicer pictures as things develop, just whole space snaps for now. Things should start to get interesting as flowers start stacking.

First impressions:

LED has less stretch and seems to be further along in the flowering cycle with larger flowers, earlier. It's easier to maintain temps in the LED space with less heat. Some colas are growing approximately 12-14" from the SP-150 lamps. We're all out of headroom, but seems like all are handling it well with no visible negative effects. Humidity stays significantly higher due to lower exhaust and lower temps with less heat from the light source. I may upgrade to a larger extraction fan as flowering progresses to lower humidity as things start to swell and potential for mold sets in.

The HPS space had a greater stretch. It's overall warmer at the canopy level and less humid. Plants seem to be a couple days behind in regards to maturity and flower development.

The spaces are running different mediums, with rockwool in the LED space and coco in the HPS space. So while not a perfect test, they are identical cuttings on similar feeds and similar environments with different lighting and mediums. Mainly the difference in medium is the main issue here for our LED/HPS comparison, which should be considered and certainly will influence the end results.

On with the pics...

260w LED - SP 150 - Day 28
picture.php

400w HPS - Day 28
picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 28 update for the spaces. I'll start getting some nicer pictures as things develop, just whole space snaps for now. Things should start to get interesting as flowers start stacking.

First impressions:

LED has less stretch and seems to be further along in the flowering cycle with larger flowers, earlier. It's easier to maintain temps in the LED space with less heat. Some colas are growing approximately 12-14" from the SP-150 lamps. We're all out of headroom, but seems like all are handling it well with no visible negative effects. Humidity stays significantly higher due to lower exhaust and lower temps with less heat from the light source. I may upgrade to a larger extraction fan as flowering progresses to lower humidity as things start to swell and potential for mold sets in.

The HPS space had a greater stretch. It's overall warmer at the canopy level and less humid. Plants seem to be a couple days behind in regards to maturity and flower development.

The spaces are running different mediums, with rockwool in the LED space and coco in the HPS space. So while not a perfect test, they are identical cuttings on similar feeds and similar environments with different lighting and mediums. Mainly the difference in medium is the main issue here for our LED/HPS comparison, which should be considered and certainly will influence the end results.

On with the pics...

260w LED - SP 150 - Day 28
View Image

400w HPS - Day 28
View Image

Looks well :good:

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
The Mars tent is absolutely better quality than the cheap amazon tent in my possession. I generally prefer to build out spaces with wood framing and panda poly or drywall/OSB, but a temporary tent is nice for ease of setup and takedown.

Below are pictures of a cheap amazon tent (Vipar Spectra brand) and the mars hydro tent from the front, with the main entry zipper shut and lights on. Very easy to see the material at the seams and lightproofing around the zipper are lacking on the amazon tent, while the mars tent shows no light leaks whatsoever. I tried hard to find some pinholes, couldn't do it...

Vipar Spectra tent
View Image

Mars Hydro tent
View Image

Lol, No light leak at all. :jump:

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Thanks for the detailed comparison. Both sides look good so far. :good:
They are very bushy now. When will you make some trimming work for them?

LouDog420

Thanks for the detailed comparison. Both sides look good so far. :good:
They are very bushy now. When will you make some trimming work for them?

I suffer from a chronic condition known as OVS, aka Over-Veg Syndrome... I'd guess they'll be cleared out a bit by the 35 day update ;)