What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air stones/DIY/Recycle your old air stones

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Air stones

We all use them in our hydroponic set ups. Some use more then others. If you run many DWC buckets, you use more then other people. replacing air stone every grow gets expensive.

For years now I wondered about making my own air stones that I can clean and reuse. I've even wondered about how I can recycle my air stones. I've tried finding a, how air stones are made video. I guess How it's made never did an episode of, "how air stones are made".

I assume that the air stones are heat molded. maybe even made of a type of sand. With out knowing this it makes if difficult to imagine a way of backwards engineering a process to recycle the old air stone into new ones.

One idea that I've thought about is taking an old soda or water bottle and filling it with aquarium gravel. having a hole drilled for the air line. The bottle would have to have holes drilled (or melted using a soldering iron) in the sides/bottom and maybe even tops.

If any of you have come up with your own home made air stones, post your pictures here.

If have any ideas you've been thinking about for building your own air stones, post it here. Lets talk about it!

Lets talk about all things air stone related...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Air stones

We all use them in our hydroponic set ups. Some use more then others. If you run many DWC buckets, you use more then other people. replacing air stone every grow gets expensive.

For years now I wondered about making my own air stones that I can clean and reuse. I've even wondered about how I can recycle my air stones. I've tried finding a, how air stones are made video. I guess How it's made never did an episode of, "how air stones are made".

I assume that the air stones are heat molded. maybe even made of a type of sand. With out knowing this it makes if difficult to imagine a way of backwards engineering a process to recycle the old air stone into new ones.

One idea that I've thought about is taking an old soda or water bottle and filling it with aquarium gravel. having a hole drilled for the air line. The bottle would have to have holes drilled (or melted using a soldering iron) in the sides/bottom and maybe even tops.

If any of you have come up with your own home made air stones, post your pictures here.

If have any ideas you've been thinking about for building your own air stones, post it here. Lets talk about it!

Lets talk about all things air stone related...

You mean like this? This works great inside a rez, but a smaller pump and holes drilled only on one side to aerate the DWC

hth

IMG_4881 (2).jpg

001.jpg

MoS

Airstones are okay, you could also buy those aircurtains, rubberis hoses of some sort, works better and seem to last longer than airstones...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
You mean like this? This works great inside a rez, but a smaller pump and holes drilled only on one side to aerate the DWC

Kind of like that, but not like that. The idea is to use air pumps instead of a water pump.

I think having the bottle filled all the way with what ever filler material you use, would be better.

PF, looks like you aren't going to be able to rolling your dice any time soon :D

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i think the sand used is treated with silicon dioxide and the exposed to high levels of CO2 that hardens the molded sand. what some in the casting industry use for cores in casting.

i've used a wire brush to clean up the outside before.

how exactly are they wearing out?

one could use a nylon stocking filled with sand inside a plastic bottle punctured with some small instrument like a needle...for diy idk