What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strawberry Hill Gardens 2020

Tynehead Tom

Haven't done a grow thread in a while but planting season is finally here at 52N in the Strawberry Patch and my ladies are raring to go.

I've been using my variation of the Tom Hill basic recipe for the past 2 seasons with great success and have mixed up a double batch this year and adding Oyster Shell.
I mixed the ingredients a couple weeks ago on a large black tarp and watered it in then heaped it to one side and covered it with the rest of the tarp. Been mostly overcast and cool here so I am 4 days behind schedule compared to previous seasons.
The Mix :
6 x 56liter bags of Black Gold enriched potting soil
1 bale Promix HP
3 bags composted Sheep manure (doubled up)
33 pounds of organic steamed Bone Meal (doubled up)
1/3 of a large bag of Perlite
10 + pounds of Granulated Canadian Gypsum(doubled up)
4 pounds Dolopril (doubled up)
**added 4 pounds Canadian crushed Oyster Shell
and approx. 110 gallons of used soil from the 2 holes in the greenhouse which makes this a double batch.
So that will make for approx. 220 gallons of mixed soil.
To that I watered in a 55 gallon mix of Hygrozyme (20ml per gallon), Crosby's Black Strap Molasses (7.5ml per gallon) and Sea Storm (20ml per gallon)…… then covered and let it cook for a couple weeks.

Today I am filling the two 60 gallon holes in the ground and will divide the rest of the mix for containers.

what am I growing with all this soil you ask????

OGKB 2.0
SFvalley Breath
Grandma's Hashplant
Fire Alien Kush
Biker Kush V1 F2
Darlins Net
Original Glue
Original Glue S1
Old Grandpa Scratch
Gorilla Thug
Gorilla Bubble BX3
Gorilla Banana
Purple Lazerlite
Long Valley Royal Kush #7
Long Valley Royal Kush F10
Bubba Royale
P98 Bubba Kush S1
SixGun

I think that covers it LOL

stay tuned for pics n shit
:smoke out:

Tynehead Tom

I know..... this thread is useless without pics.....haha

so let's get this started

mixing on tarps is sure handy. This is 1/2 of the mix, the other half is already in the holes in the ground
picture.php

greenhouse get's cramped and seeing as I'm legal for 56 outdoor plants , I need a bit more room. Still a small greenhouse but for the size of plants I do it's adequate. Framing in for a door and will be framing above the door for an exhaust fan.
picture.php

here's one of the 55 to 60 gallon holes in the ground that have worked quite well the past couple seasons so will use them again. Filled them with fresh mix and watered them in.
picture.php

and the wooden frame I built last year so I can scrog the plants I put in the holes. I also use that frame to support the light dep tarps I use to get the big plants flowering when I need them too.
picture.php

Tynehead Tom

and the plants.....
All these have been prevegged indoors and will get potted to larger pots in the coming days.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and the ones still inside waiting eagerly for larger pots and sunshine
picture.php

Tynehead Tom

Growing quality cannabis outside with 9 to 11 week flowering times is a challenge where I'm at even with a greenhouse. I've done pretty basic setups in the past but this style of greenhouse handles the snow load and spring storms just fine. We are clearing part of our property for a 60x 20 x 15 high commercial style greenhouse but it's a time and money thing so we are chipping away at it.
Frosts come in early/mid September here and this year we had snow on the ground at the end of april. Heck the ice wasn't off the lake till 2nd week of may LOL
So as you see, I face some challenges up here at 52N western Canada.

This year I will be paying close attention to ventilation and odor control so once that is figured and installed I'll post some pics.

got the 2.0 into her new 60 gallon hole and gonna transplant the grandma's hashplant into the other 60 gallon hole. Both are haggard moms held over all winter.
3 of the varieties I popped from seed that are still indoors are Gorilla Thug, Bubba Royale and Mendo Scout. I made these beans so this a test grow of sorts. Also in the mix is the Darlin's Net -Six Gun cut which is a plant a friend found in some darlins net F2 seeds I made a couple years ago.

anyhow...… I usually put on a good show so grab the front row seats while you can hehehe

gorilla ganja

Best of luck this season TT. Look's like an incredible line up this year. I hope mother nature co-operates with some nice weather for a change here in the north.

Peace GG

Tynehead Tom

Best of luck this season TT. Look's like an incredible line up this year. I hope mother nature co-operates with some nice weather for a change here in the north.

Peace GG

thanx man :)
ya this season is starting out much like last year with very unsettled weather. Last year we had snow and sub zero temps in June right around now actually. This year is a bit warmer but lots of winds and rain showers with a few torrential down pours.
I think I'm set up pretty good to hit my 4 pound target again but we'll see how mother nature rolls the dice.

will get some pics later but the OGKB 2.0 and Grandma's HP are transplanted from 3 gallons to 60 gallons ….. can't wait to blow these two up into the scrog frames :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I was disappointed to not see "Strawberry Banana" in the mix. That is some yummy stuff and makes good rosin.

Tynehead Tom

ya I need more strawberry too. :D
None for this run but I do have some strawberry planned for indoor this winter.

also gonna start some Afterthought autos in a nice sunny spot by my woodshed with some good loamy ground. I'll start them in net pots and once they are up they'll go right in the ground.

stay tuned :)

Tynehead Tom

Very nice Tom! 56 legal plants thats sick! BIG HURRAY for Canada! I watching this show here in Finland 60N.:)

nice to have you aboard ;)
In Canada, adults can grow 4 plants 'per household' under the new recreational cannabis laws.
I have a health canada licensed personal grow for medical purposes so that is why I have the plant count that I do.
Not sure if I'll max it out but will come close

Bmac1

Veteran
Need to get myself a license once and for all too. When I saw Strawberry Hill, my first thought was the area in Delta, lol.

Tynehead Tom

Need to get myself a license once and for all too. When I saw Strawberry Hill, my first thought was the area in Delta, lol.

and your first thought would be bang on man.... I graduated high school at NDSS.
Strawberry Hill in North Delta/Surrey is where I was first introduced to growing cannabis by a small group of Outlaws. That was way back in 1989.
While I am far from the old stompin grounds these days , my grow is officially dubbed the strawberry patch ;)

Tynehead Tom

Was just checking the indoor seedling room for male/females expressing and found at least 7 females so far. Hoping for 30ish from the 67 seedlings in there.

also looked at my list on the 1st page of the thread and have to add Chunkypigs Dubble Baked to the list.... forgot those. There's 2 in there.
And last year I gifted a friend 6 seeds of Glue Breath S1 another one of chunky's releases. I wanted clones of the plants he grew but that never happened. I guess he felt bad because today he dropped of 2 seedlings from those seeds!! I guess he only planted 2 of them last year. So I'm stoked to have those in the garden now too. I'll get some pics when they are transplanted and settled in.

Tynehead Tom

got lots done in last 48 hrs.
Finished the extension on the greenhouse which gives me roughly 40 sq feet more space and a door at the yard end instead of going all the way around to the shed entrance.
Got the 6 inch exhaust duct fitting installed in the peak of the truss above the door. Gonna run galvanized ducting to the opposite end under the first section of greenhouse closest to the shed it's attached too. This will create a good flow of air thru the greenhouse and back out that vent. Will probably also attach my carbon filter to the exhaust fan just for good measure.

Shut down my indoor veg room last night and moved all the plants out to the greenhouse.
Transplanted Original Glue , Original Glue S1, Six Gun and P98 Bubba Kush to 18 gallon totes filled with the tom hill mix. Have 2 more totes to put plants in so probably the SF Valley Breath and the Fire Alien Kush.
All the tote plants will be topped and as soon as they fill back in, flipped with light dep tarps.

Things are coming along and looks like I'll have enough soil to finish the totes and a bit left over for my 4 Sweet Millions tomato plants I have been neglecting.
All the seedlings from the indoor pop will be going into grow bags of Promix HP cut with watever is left over of the tom hill mix.

what else..... 6 Darlins net plants from seed..... 2 are getting tall and robust with the other 4 being a couple weeks behind going outside, are a bit smaller and compact.
I am going to start light depping all 6 tonight by hand bombing them into the shed building attached to the greenhouse. That 1/2 of the building is a dark room and works awesome for flowering plants by the hand bomb method ..... as long as they are 5 gallons or less of soil hehehe

I'll snap some pics this evening.... to fuggen hot out right now.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Subbed and happy to see you do your thing my friend!

Who knew we'd end up back here of all places :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts