What's new

Grasshopper control

Howdy all.so this will be my first outdoor grow in the area I moved to a few years ago, so kinda getting familiar with weather patterns, sun trajectory. bugs, and pests. The only issue I am having is with grasshoppers, and field crickets. Everyone tells me the field crickets are the worst, but even though I can find 30-40 of em in less than a few minutes, none of em seem to care about my plants. Grasshoppers on the other hand are found on the plants everytime I visit. They are all tiny right now, as they have just hatched for the season, but there is soooooo many. Walking is like parting the red sea, as hundreds of them scatter before your feet. In a few weeks they will be 2-3 inches in size. My local stores have nothing related to grasshopper control, and plants need to go back out now to make room for some autos that cant wait any longer. Anybody have any ideas on sprays, etc that can be used to keep em out till a mail order can be made? Making some garlic spray for the hand pump, as I have read they hate the smell, but not sure how good this will work. Thanx!

Thank! Think that I can find spinosad here. Is it a direct spray to kill, or can I spray the surrounding vegitation?. Mantises are on the list, as are other predatory organisms, but wont see any of it for at least a week by mail. Anybody ever used NOLO bait, or nosema locustae? I am reading that it is fantastic, but cant find how long it takes to be effective

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
You need birds..They are the most effective grasshopper and caterpillar killers that you can get...

So how do you do it?

Install at least one or more bird feeders at your grow spot.
Use google to find the bug murdering birds in your area that you want to attract.

Then use google to find the best type of birdseed you can use to attract the birds you want...

many species of birds are seed eaters in the winter, but prefer to eat bugs in the summer when the bugs are more plentiful.

I started doing this about 5 years ago and don't know why I didn't think of it sooner..
It works great.. the birds do all the work.. all you have to do is keep the feeders full of birdseed..

You can camo paint the feeders if necessary.. The birds will still find them...

mike tea

guinea fowl

guinea fowl

Howdy all.so this will be my first outdoor grow in the area I moved to a few years ago, so kinda getting familiar with weather patterns, sun trajectory. bugs, and pests. The only issue I am having is with grasshoppers, and field crickets. Everyone tells me the field crickets are the worst, but even though I can find 30-40 of em in less than a few minutes, none of em seem to care about my plants. Grasshoppers on the other hand are found on the plants everytime I visit. They are all tiny right now, as they have just hatched for the season, but there is soooooo many. Walking is like parting the red sea, as hundreds of them scatter before your feet. In a few weeks they will be 2-3 inches in size. My local stores have nothing related to grasshopper control, and plants need to go back out now to make room for some autos that cant wait any longer. Anybody have any ideas on sprays, etc that can be used to keep em out till a mail order can be made? Making some garlic spray for the hand pump, as I have read they hate the smell, but not sure how good this will work. Thanx!
guinea fowl, can solve that problem they consume all insects includeing ticksyou can order the baby keats from stromberghs poultry hatchery call 1-800-720-1134 ido not know if they will ship now just call them and request a catalog and tell them your needs peace, miketea

@ bud green. Back in 92, Where I was in southern Cali I had 3 big problems with parrots during flower, where they ripped buds and branches to peices. Kept showing up to the spot , and finding the canopy shredded. I almost thought a person was screwing with me after a few visits, until I caught em in the act. Here in the az mountains I have 5 feeders that bring about 10 different birds. I have been trying to attract as many as possible, but dont have em directly in grow yet. That's a great idea, and dont know why I didn't even think of it. I made a bunch of feeders around my fenced veggie garden already.i know the starlings here are robotic insect terminators. I've watched em a few times combing the floor, so focused on the task that they dont care how close you are to them.

troutman

Seed Whore
I purchased 3 Praying Mantis eggs cases from EBAY. I released them last month in guerilla grow area and
hope they live and multiply. I had well over 100 babies that were released. Next year, I get 10 egg cases.

picture.php

picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

You need birds..They are the most effective grasshopper and caterpillar killers that you can get...

So how do you do it?

Install at least one or more bird feeders at your grow spot.
Use google to find the bug murdering birds in your area that you want to attract.

Then use google to find the best type of birdseed you can use to attract the birds you want...

many species of birds are seed eaters in the winter, but prefer to eat bugs in the summer when the bugs are more plentiful.

I started doing this about 5 years ago and don't know why I didn't think of it sooner..
It works great.. the birds do all the work.. all you have to do is keep the feeders full of birdseed..

You can camo paint the feeders if necessary.. The birds will still find them...

The birds don't shit all over everything?

Latest posts

Latest posts