What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Earliest Your Plants Were Pollinated Outdoor by Pollen From a Neighbor?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I can feel pollen as a slippery coating between my fingers. The last week or so I've been feeling pollen in the air a lot, and since it's barely past the last frost around here, I figured it was from the rabbit brush. Rabbit brush blooms all year, even in mid-winter with snow on the ground. Love to find a use for that gross stuff, it's everywhere here.

Yesterday I was standing in my backyard and was covered in pollen, so much pollen I had to wipe it from the corners of my eyes. It was on the wind with a rather nice fruity cannabis smell.

I use high-micron filtration on my flowering areas, so I wasn't concerned about it. Then I remembered I have an autoflower in a 5gal bucket under about 60w of light in a closet. They already got her... she's completely pollinated with mystery pollen, yaaay? lol I guess I was wrong and it's not rabbit brush pollen. lol

High-Micron filtered air, positive pressure greenhouse anyone? At least this area of Colorado is looking to be hemped out, and I don't see the pollen count going down as the years roll on.

What's the earliest you've had a plant pollinated from a neighbor?

:tiphat:

HHILL

That is a bummer. calientecarlos had his outdoor completely pollinated by hemp too in Colorado. That sucks all around, especially if you want to make your own seeds..... well this here is Zskittles x hemp, OG x hemp, etc.

I’m lucky to have no wayward pollen here but there are stories of 1 acre hemp grows In the middle of an area where a lot of cannabis is grown, specifically to screw up the harvest of surrounding THC crops...

Douglas.Curtis

Pollen doesn't win by being slippery.
Objection... relevance!

I’m lucky to have no wayward pollen here but there are stories of 1 acre hemp grows In the middle of an area where a lot of cannabis is grown, specifically to screw up the harvest of surrounding THC crops...
True sign of troglodyte type ignorance. Fully believing cannabis is evil in some way and taking retaliatory action against the educated and healthy.

Wow... such dedication to ignorance is something to see, yeah?

Mr. J

The pollen came from a tree. There aren't any flowering weed plants in May. You sure you don't have some male flowers going on in there?

Douglas.Curtis

The pollen came from a tree.
Tress do not pollinate cannabis plants, there are no tress flowering near here as the last frost just passed a little over 2 weeks ago. Lilacs are blooming and this is not lilac scent or pollen.

There aren't any flowering weed plants in May. You sure you don't have some male flowers going on in there?
I live in Colorado, and there are plenty of flowering plants around. As far as I'm aware it's from a huge light-dep grow less than half a mile from me.

Yes, I'm quite positive my indoor plant was pollinated by outside sources. The amount of pollen I have free floating in my home is good for 2-3 seeds on a plant in a closet, not full pollination.
:tiphat:

Big Eggy

Veteran
I've often wondered why the authorities didn't spray hemp pollen in the days of eradication.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
newbies can make flowering males in may if they put it out from 18/20/24 lighting schedules ...

St. Phatty

I try to do daily inspections on the large plants in big pots in the semi-protected area.

I usually have 1 male about 75 yards away in another protected area (protected from the breeze, a dead air area).

Usually it seems like, the sprinkling of baby seeds show up on the female plants 2 or 3 weeks after the male plant is shedding clouds of pollen. Which usually goes on the ground. Sometimes one of the chickens tries to eat it (it is Cannabis) but it's just not as interesting (or accessible) as the plants I put in their food area.

Female Flowering starts August 1, the few seeds showing up around September 1.

Of course, that doesn't prove the seeds were pollinated by my own male.

hellfire

Last year July, probably a week or two into the month I noticed seeds forming. The hemp crops are becoming more common and many are planting regular seed and some intersexual fiber hemp. They also take seedlings from lights indoors directly into the field and if the schedule is off it'll flip the males in the field.

calisun

Some hemp autos in my area are just finishing up right now. Any males or herms in the group could of shed pollen as early as end of April. There are also light deps with supplement light going on almost year around. I don't think there is a safe time from pollen all year except when it's raining.

'Boogieman'

I don't have to worry about other grows in my illegal state but I live where wild hemp is everywhere. I destroy all that I can find but still end up with the occasional seed here and there. I have grown the seeds and can confirm wild hemp with males reaching up to 15ft high. The males start dropping pollen around mid July.

Treevly

The pollen count is so high here right now that the meth dealers are cooking the stuff and trying to turn it back into sudafed.

:party:

St. Phatty

nearly impossible to tell.

i usually flower one male at a distance from the main females, simply because I like to have a few seeds.

but this year, thanks to your question, i might set up one extra female in a plot where the fruit tree died (one of those cherry tree combo's), so it already has a deer fence.