What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10-12 years old seeds...

rootcap

that stringy stuff looks like mold....or bad bacteria...maybe you should pretreat your seeds before germing...

pretreat ? how ?

those are very old seeds, some of them even older the 12 years... i think the only thing i didnt tryied yet is the gebberelic acid.

i want to try to place them in soil to see if anything will grow from those. i let you know anyway...

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ive never had to do it personally so its not like im going to give you personal experience, but from what i read there are certain products out there used to pretreat seeds, like fungicides and stuff but im not sure which...its been a while since i read it...something to do with pathogens on the seeds and inhibiting the root growth from fungal and bacterial infections...

rootcap

OK, after searching about it a little bit, i think i found it.
fungi. BUT, not sure it's going to be bad. as i understand, and i hope i got it right, somtimes the fungi helps the seeds to get some nitrogen and moisture - this is a quote from what i saw - "The fungi helps to retain moisture and feeds the seedlings nitrogen like fertilizer".

as i said, i'll try to place the seeds in soil and let you know how it goes - hope it's not too late now because the seeds still in the water...

waveguide

Veteran
try em in batches of course to cover all bases.

gibberellic acid - don't quote me but i *think* all of the GAs can be used similarly?? use it at some point in presoaking, but wash it off before they pop as it is a root retardant.

fertiliser - like kelp or something with N. the seeds store food for the first growth in the cotyledons, and it breaks down in time. using a bit of nutes in presoak helps to replace it.

h2o2 - it is fine to use on seeds and plants and will take care of any opportunistic fungi which your aged seeds may be more susceptible to. if i have seeds that are germing slowly, i'll put a drop on every day to keep fungi down.

of course, giving the shells a scrape helps as well as any other common germ assists. i use a tupperware or whatever too, but i put a layer of perlite in the bottom, seeds sit on top of the perlite, water level is below the perlite. works good.

rootcap

try em in batches of course to cover all bases.

gibberellic acid - don't quote me but i *think* all of the GAs can be used similarly?? use it at some point in presoaking, but wash it off before they pop as it is a root retardant.

fertiliser - like kelp or something with N. the seeds store food for the first growth in the cotyledons, and it breaks down in time. using a bit of nutes in presoak helps to replace it.

h2o2 - it is fine to use on seeds and plants and will take care of any opportunistic fungi which your aged seeds may be more susceptible to. if i have seeds that are germing slowly, i'll put a drop on every day to keep fungi down.

of course, giving the shells a scrape helps as well as any other common germ assists. i use a tupperware or whatever too, but i put a layer of perlite in the bottom, seeds sit on top of the perlite, water level is below the perlite. works good.

thanks for the tips.

waveguide

Veteran
another "tip" fwiw - haven't tried it, just read it and passing it along.

ethylene is released by bananas and apples and other junk i guess as it ripens - it's ethylene that colloidal silver blocks when it's used to produce male flowers on female plants.

it does a bunch of different stuff in different plants. reading on it somewhere i found that ethylene can also promote germination in some species.

i don't know if that includes *our* species, but i do have some hard to pop beans around i'll try it on someday.. leave seeds in a plastic bag with an apple for a few days before germinating, i guess.

good luck :)

rootcap

another "tip" fwiw - haven't tried it, just read it and passing it along.

ethylene is released by bananas and apples and other junk i guess as it ripens - it's ethylene that colloidal silver blocks when it's used to produce male flowers on female plants.

it does a bunch of different stuff in different plants. reading on it somewhere i found that ethylene can also promote germination in some species.

i don't know if that includes *our* species, but i do have some hard to pop beans around i'll try it on someday.. leave seeds in a plastic bag with an apple for a few days before germinating, i guess.

good luck :)

sound intresting... worth a try...
for now, from 100 seeds i had luck only with 4-5 of them.

i'll keep you post if anything...

DRorganic

Veteran
just put them in some h2o2 then take them out . then put them in sum water for 24hr then to paper towel . the ones with a root put in soil and water with some earth worm casting and kelp tea . hop you find a good old dead skunk phenom then you are on the money. rks all the way. good luck...........

rootcap

just put them in some h2o2 then take them out . then put them in sum water for 24hr then to paper towel . the ones with a root put in soil and water with some earth worm casting and kelp tea . hop you find a good old dead skunk phenom then you are on the money. rks all the way. good luck...........

did you had any luck with the H202 ???
i saw somthing about that in diffrend forum but they said they didnt had ANY luck with it.

DRorganic

Veteran
rootcap yes i have had luck with this method .its 100 proof. its hard for me to get a male plant .when i do get a male plant depending what make up of the strain is i will hold on to him like grime death. i need some back up of c99bx1 .but i think i will grab me some more c99 seeds if there still around in 2 1/2 months. and might go with both bx1 and f1 and use a male f1 to cross to a bx1 female. or vise verse. because you can not have too many c99 in stock. wight in years to come the only ones to have any is the ones who made back ups.

rootcap

rootcap yes i have had luck with this method .its 100 proof. its hard for me to get a male plant .when i do get a male plant depending what make up of the strain is i will hold on to him like grime death. i need some back up of c99bx1 .but i think i will grab me some more c99 seeds if there still around in 2 1/2 months. and might go with both bx1 and f1 and use a male f1 to cross to a bx1 female. or vise verse. because you can not have too many c99 in stock. wight in years to come the only ones to have any is the ones who made back ups.

can you share the amount you use per liter/galon ?
i saw somthing on the web says 1oz of 3% h2o2 for pint of water. do you think it's good ?
i allready bought the h2o2 and i want to try it 1st thing on the morning.

i did noticed a lot of people love this h2o2 trick. lots says its also good for pests.

DRorganic

Veteran
rootcap yea and it also kills any germs and killer viruses like in mild spores. just use one tablespoon to a beer cup of water.the plastic cups that come in red or blue.they call them keg cups. leave in for 1hr then rinse off and put into cup of water with maxi crop for 24 hr. then onto a plate with paper towel .use the water with the kelp from the cup to wet paper towel .cover with plastic wrap and place some where warm.

rootcap

rootcap yea and it also kills any germs and killer viruses like in mild spores. just use one tablespoon to a beer cup of water.the plastic cups that come in red or blue.they call them keg cups. leave in for 1hr then rinse off and put into cup of water with maxi crop for 24 hr. then onto a plate with paper towel .use the water with the kelp from the cup to wet paper towel .cover with plastic wrap and place some where warm.

thanks for the share.

rootcap

OK,

after a week of tests that i did with the H2O2 i thought to share the results with you.

I searched all over the internet for Old seeds germination with the H2O2 and i decided to try the best test i found.
the original test was with 4 groups of 5 old seeds of beans each (old is older the 10 years). i did the same but with the cannabis seeds.

group 1 was :

each 1 of the seeds placed in 100ml of distilled water + 10ml of H2O2 for 12h, 24h, 30h, 42h and 46h then sown with distilled water untill the end of the test.

- Nothing !

group 2 was :

all seeds placed in 100ml of distilled water + 10ml of H2O2 for 42h then placed for 24h in freeze and then sown with distilled water untill the end of the test.

- Nothing !

group 3 was :

same as group 1 but sown with Root-Juice.

- and..... Nothing !!!

last and final group 4 :

50/50 Distilled water and H2O2 for 12h, 24h, 30h, 42h and 46h then sown with distilled water untill the end of the test.

and... guess what.... Crap ! Nothing !!! :wallbash:

the test made with 3% H2O2 exactly as they did in the test, the seeds kept in full dark for all the time.
i'm still keeping the seeds sown with distilled water to see if anything...
the only one "Positive" thing i can tell you is when i opened 3 seeds from the tests all of them looked VERY healthy from the inside like they DO want to spread out !

next test will be the Giberellic acid. - i allmost sure this is the solution for the seeds, and i have no idea way....

Final word, save your time and your old cannabis seeds, H2O2 is not working with old cannabis seeds. - Maybe with diffrend seeds....
i'll let you know if any will change..

Chomba64

Veteran
I soaked the seeds in a glass of water for three days. I then put the seeds in paper towels. About six days a few sprouted... I am fortunate to get any to sprout... Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts