What's new

METER's, Whats your favorite?

G

nutradip related

nutradip related

who stores their EC probe in solution? and if so what kind?

nutradip trimeter-

I got some of that genesis stuff (yellow electrode storage solution) that I keep in the cap for the PH probe, but I havent yet placed the EC probe in storage solution. I just let it sit dry, calibrate every week or two. Clean it once a month.

I have been wondering about this for a few weeks, I was aware of the fact you shouldn't let your pH probe dry out but was unsure of the ec probe.

let me know.

thanks a bazillion.

Nutradip tri-meter

Nutradip tri-meter

Nutradip™ Tri-Meter
This meter gives you the ability to monitor pH level, Nutrient Levels in PPM or EC, and Nutrient Temperature in Fahrenheit or Celcius*

This continuous monitoring system requires no batteries, just plug it in an AC wall receptacle and the meter will remain in a calibrated mode for months. The Nutradip™ Tri-Meter, with automatic temperature compensation, is the best way of measuring the strength of nutrients in your water, pH, and monitoring temperature at the same time.

*depending on model

Saw a post earlier asking about measuring tds in ppm or EC. Apparently the tri dip does it all! I also erred and bought the pH truncheon; twice in a year it has had the same previously mentioned product. For pH I had the hanna and it broke so I replaced the pH electrode to the tune of forty dollars to no avail! Done a lot of research since then and the tri-dip is the one I will purchase next!

Vik

G

nutra dip

nutra dip

depends on model

202 - converts microsiemen to PPM factor (0.5)X(microsiemen)
203 - converts microsiemen to PPM (for fish) (0.675)X(microsiemen)
204 - is microsiemen factor (1.0)X(microsiemen)

I think you can also select C or F for temp read out.

Some cats have been using same ones for 10 years plus. I do often feel that over that amount of time the quality can often diminish just like most things. I figure if I could get 5 years out of it and replace pH probe once or twice then it is all good.

still wanna grab one of those hanna's and a truncheon figure check em against each other and see which one wins the race to the end of time.

Heady NUGs

My Milwaukee SM802 spent a day at the bottom of the resovoir drum. Took it out, removed the battery and let it dry. Works fine, just needed a new battery.

Kenny Lingus

forty grit said:
the truncheon blulab ph meters are ****ed... their ec meters are good. i've had my hanna combo pen for 3 years and works great.. had to replace the ph bulb once a few months ago but was only $30. i never should have bought the blulab ph meter :bashhead:

Yup! BlueLab pH-probe suck asshole! -I've had 2 goiing to crap after a short while (needing calibration every day or more). The store I bought it in claims BlueLab wouldn't replace the first probe as the warranty said they should do and charged me 65euro for a new probe (that was 8months after purchase and carefully used with only blulab kits utensils.) Second probe has been in use for abou 2 weeks and is already showing the same problems...

Joe Hawkins

Ive gotta hanna 98129 and its abitch to calibrate, been having problems, followed the instructions but when I dip it in 7 calibrating solution, it goes up to 10 then says ok and reads 7 PH as 10, Ive tried all the different ways to calibrate it too Im not doing anything wrong according to the instructions, Im going to take it back to the shop and let him have a look at it, it has ****ed right up, its only a year old with 82% battery life from new.

Dramajic

I have the Hanna 19813-6 and I love the damn thing. Everything is right on. Got mine from Growco, as I do with everything hydo. If it is new, I would send it back to the dealer and have it checked out.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Joe you need a new probe. I had one new and had to replace the probe in less than a year. The new probe lasted a lot longer at least until it got wet on the inside of the meter. I use a Oakton Ph meter now. I've had it about two years and have only replaced the batteries.

2924535634_00-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Blue Lab PPM Truncheon Meter = Best PPM Meter; Very Simple to use and never has to be calibrated.
Hanna Black Combo Meters = Are okay but it takes forever to check the ppm and ph (kinda slow); plus PH pens like to stay wet and PPM pens like to stay dry.
Shindegen PH Meter = best and simplest meter but it is kind of pricey.

All pens suck and only have an average life span of 1 year or less. I would personally get Blue Lab PPM Meter and 2 Oakton PH pens because they are cheap and having two u dont have to be without one.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I like my hanna 98129 its been fairly consistent for the last few years I always check my meter with RO water to see if its where it should be.

Good- PH/PPM combo, durable, I've dropped my in the res a few times, still works fine.
long battery life, auto shut off.

Bad- Slow to read PPM's PH, a bit hard to calibrate, make sure you keep the tip wet.

Favorite?.. Well, I like it and I havent bought another one.

Joe Hawkins

I ended up purchasing the Oakton PH pen, and bought an Oakton TDS meter as well.
It is the PH probe thats bugged out on my Hanna 98129, but the support in Australia is atrocious, apparently they have had all sorts of probs down here and the support staff are rude individuals so now I have a hanna 98129 that reads PPM's and EC fine but the PH probe is rooted.
What I have done is keep the hanna probe at 0.5 conversion, the Oakton TDS at 0.7 conversion, so now I have a range of PPM conversions to choose from!

BTW Oakton Pens are so much more user friendly, and solid units too.

douknow

I had a question about my Hanna 19813 i am not at home but from looking online and comparing pictures i am sure this is the one i have it has the two little dials at the bottom to calibrate and it has a wand that has some numbers and says HI on it. well what i was wondering is when it shows ppm on the meter are those the same ppm as on the labels of the nutes or a diff conversion(Technaflora BC Line) this whole conversion thing has me confused also Why doesn't my meter show temp. I had some kid trade me this one time for next to nothing and i am just getting around to using it for my new dwc tubs. I think i have it calibrated i used the solution (which he also had) and then compared its to my buddies new out of the box hanna 98129 and they got very close to the same readings.

G

Truncheon for life! Believe it or not but I use the test dropper kit for my ph. I wouldn't trade those two for anything.

Last edited:
I have had the Hanna pH pen that used the paper strip (or whatever that thing was) and i went thru 2 in a single month, personally i think the non-waterproof ones are crap. I went to the Hanna 98127 waterproof pH/Temp pen and the thing is spot on. All you have to do is keep the bulb clean (use a clean tooth brush) and calibrate about every 2-3 weeks to make sure. Keep those probes, clean, moist/wet and you wont have an issue.....

The ppm i use a TDS-3, havent had any issues so far, but it might be reading a little low, would rather have it read low than high i guess.....I'm currently doing a little experiment to see how high i can get the ppm's before the plant says 'screw you'....

Kenny Lingus

MILWAUKEE! Great service, fine range of instruments and additives. Even goes beyond the guarrantee limits and replaced probes over a year old that had dried out twice!!! Stable probes that on't need to much calibration. (once or twice monthly for the pH, and between each flowering cycle for the EC to be safe)

Payed 160€ for SM-100 pH-meter, and SM-302 EC-meter in a combo-box in Amsterdam.

I had to pay more for the BluLab pH-truncheon, and the probe quit on me after 6months wich they denied to replace on warranty. They demand you use their own calibration and cleaners, and my ph-truncheon is uncalibrated weekly. (Even use a hell lot of cal-solution to submerge the huge probe...
Suppose the combo-meter is better, but very expensive IMO.

Looks like I'm gonna get the nutradip tri meter. I have a Hanna continuous which ph won't go above 5 but at least the ppm and temp meter works. Really its ridiculous that we have to spend money on broken equipment. Btw anyone have bad things to say about continuous meters?? They seem convenient I don't think I can go back to regular meters.

RedXIII

I have both a nutradip tri meter and the milwaukee sm802 combo meter.

While the nutradip is a great meter, I now have it packed away in a box, as I am in love with the milwaukee sm802.

The milwaukee is great as it shows ph, ec, and ppm in exact readings, not in blocks of 5 for ppm like on my nutradip. Having both ppm and ec is nice, but i use only ec now. I also love how portable it is, so I can take it to my different reservoirs easily.

Also, the calibration holds spot on forever it seems, and the knobs to calibrate are way more stable than my nutradip tri meter, whose calibration knobs seem to be much more sensitive. Very tough unit, highly recommended.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Well, im in the marke for some new meters, but i think im going to buy some cheap ones for now, that way i can get Ec and PH pens and some Ec and PH tank monitors for under 100 pounds altogether... im sure theres nothing wrong with using those little cheapo aquarium ones as a temporary measure...
I think ill be getting this ph pen, http://www.monitors-direct.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SubCatagoryID=383&ProductID=1054, theres some cheapo truncheon knockoffs on fleabay for about the same price as this so ill prolly get one of those, then i think ill get this ph continous monitor, http://www.monitors-direct.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SubCatagoryID=383&ProductID=1125 and this Ec version, http://www.monitors-direct.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SubCatagoryID=385&ProductID=1111
Even if they only last 2 cycles theyll be fine i reckon....
I was also thinking maybe one of these in the future, along with a peristaltic pump, to have auto dosing of PHup/down http://www.monitors-direct.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SubCatagoryID=244&ProductID=1029
There is another like that called an ORP/redox controller, operates the same, I was wondering it could be used to dose H2o2
Be lucky folks

Last edited:

MPL

I have been using an Oakton pH Testr Basic pH meter for about a month and am very happy with it.

Last edited: