What's new

METER's, Whats your favorite?

DangerP

A friend of mine who is a chemist told me that ideally you should store the tip in the same liquid that is inside the ph bulb. That's what he does, but he works in a fancy lab, so he isn't paying for anything.

I keep mine in a ph 7 buffer solution. I figure that way it stays right at 7 even if there would normally be some drift (I use the same solution for a few weeks before refilling).

I took a medium sized aspirin bottle and cut a hole in the top just a little larger than the outside diameter of the probe. I attached this to the inside wall of my cab, and I put my buffer solution in there. That way I can just stick the probe in there on my way out so it doesn't spill or get knocked over.

Heh. Stick the probe in there.

Dramajic

The Hanna 9813-6 from Growco. Everything in one box that you need. I chose this one because Jay, the person you interface with when you phone, has yet to lie to me. He said this was their most reliable and best seller for the money.

And I do appreciate honesty that pans out.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with the above mentioned hydro shop.

Last edited:

Merman

Blue Lab Truncheon for PPM/EC - never fails! and a five year warranty.

Hanna ph - already had to replace the probe after only 6 months. pH pens are a problem no matter what.

Finding a good storage solutions like DangerP mentioned should help. I rinse mine in a container with plain water and some H2O2. Even better would be RO with the H2O2.

Anyone know a good storage solution? I'm not so sure about usng buffer solution.

SacredBreh

PlumpMonkey and DangerP

PlumpMonkey and DangerP

Hanna sells a storage solution that you put in the cap. If you lose the sponge you can just cut a small piece of sponge off one from any store. I suspect it is similar to the kind inside the bulb. I just use a piece of sterile gauze since I have it around.

Peace

G

forty grit said:
the wand ph stick.. both mine and my buddies.
AFTER THAT REVEIW I JUST GOT THERE BASIC CONTINIOUS PH MONITER....... just throw it in a cup of water when i dont need it......

coolx

Lots of people like the truncheon - personally I think they suck - at least the PPM one - you can't read more acuurately than 40 ppm and that's when one light flashes once then the other twice or some such crap. Try adding 100 pm of calmag or something to your nutes. I got a Hanna dist-5 for almost 1/3 rd the price - $70. Perfect, adj. conversion factor and auto temp.

And the Hanna HI 98129 .... I bought one of those for almost $200 - it sounded awesome - took it back the very next day - THE biggest piece of shit I've ever bought, and that includes that plot of land over in Fl. It started reading all over the place and when I'd add ph up, the reading went down!! I'd take consecutive readings every 10 secs and it read from 4.0 to 14.0. And it wasn't just my digital ballast - BEWARE - they don't work if you have those. When I took it back to the shop, they tested another one they had there - did the same thing!

In the end I bought the Oakton ph30 ... reads ph accurate to .01! waterproof, auto temp, and if you don't buy it at the hydro shop, you can get it for it's MSRP of $100 - I found it for $85 online - or go to a scientific instrument dealer .. your local hydro guy will try to sell it to you for $150. Well, sometimes it's OK I guess, after all the advice they give you, you can give 'em extra, but then again, half the things they say are just plain wrong!

Last edited:

plumpm0nkey

wow coolx, you serious? not just 1 fuck up but 2? and the digi ballasts can mess with them?? im lookin into the Oakton ph30 now.

fuzygrowth

It's a real shame you are putting out this filth. the Hanna HI 98129 is a GREAT piece of equipment. obviously you either got a bad one, or you didn't follow the instructions to soak the bulb for 24 hours before calibrating and then using the product. LOTS AND LOTS of people use this wonderful pen including myself with awesome results, it's nearly indestructible. i know better, and plenty of others know better, but you sure as hell are scaring off the noobs with comments like " THE biggest piece of shit I've ever bought " . oh yea, and i run 11 digital ballasts and have NEVER had a problem using this pen. g'luck to you sir.

coolx said:
And the Hanna HI 98129 .... I bought one of those for almost $200 - it sounded awesome - took it back the very next day - THE biggest piece of shit I've ever bought, and that includes that plot of land over in Fl. It started reading all over the place and when I'd add ph up, the reading went down!! I'd take consecutive readings every 10 secs and it read from 4.0 to 14.0. And it wasn't just my digital ballast - BEWARE - they don't work if you have those. When I took it back to the shop, they tested another one they had there - did the same thing!

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
:yeahthats
Calibrate often and store properly and you shouldnt have any problems with it. There are always defective items in every batch of anything electronic. Just a fact of life and you hope you dont get one of them, but invariably we all do from time to time. For the price and features the 98129 is one of the best on the market.

plumpm0nkey

ok im about 30 mins away from buying this on ebay for 56$

Ebay description:
This Item was used for TDS readings only for about 3 months 3 times a day at 6 days a week and was taken out of service due to changes within the facility that used it. It is in good working condition but is without the box, instructions, or batteries.

Local420

I have the bluelab truncheon and I love it. It's waterproof and needs no calibration and has a handy wrist strap so you don't drop it.

It's the only TDS meter I've used so I guess I don't really have much to compare it to.

inflorescence

Veteran
Hanna 9813-6.
Awesome TDS/EC meter.
A complete pile of shit pH meter. First probe, shipped directly from Hanna was DOA. Second probe lasted me maybe 6 months and I babied the thing. If these things are so sensitive i have to put it to bed each night then they've got to come up with a better meter.
Now I'm getting the cheapest pH hanna wands on ebay for like $15 shipped so we'll see how they stack up. If I get 6 months then it's worth $15.
I have a feeling my 9813-6 will read tds to the ppm for years to come so I should have taken the advice not to buy a combo meter with just ONE probe. Doh!

If I can ever find a cheap isfet meter/probe that will be my next investment.
Heard they are so durable you can just stick 'em directly in any medium and read the pH.

Last edited:

SacredBreh

Have to give my 2 cents...... again

Have to give my 2 cents...... again

Been using the Hanna 98129 since OG was new, replaced the pH probe once in about 8-10 years. Electronic ballasts can mess with any meter given a particular set of circumstances or many other variables. Each grower has a different set of variables they are working with, so no one piece of equipment will suit exactly all those situations. Your particular set up, chemicals, equipment, style, all effect each other. Some are perfectionists that keep everything pristine and others are functionalists that as long as it is working don't fuck with it.:spank:

Like anything we use, there are nuisances that affect how you use it. Not one of us use a pump exactly the same as others or fans, or most anything. You have to learn your equipment; just like you learn each strain of plants and the particular environment and setting each is in.

This one works excellent for me or I would have moved on years ago.:puppydoge

Peace

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
SacredBreh said:
Been using the Hanna 98129 since OG was new, replaced the pH probe once in about 8-10 years. Electronic ballasts can mess with any meter given a particular set of circumstances or many other variables. Each grower has a different set of variables they are working with, so no one piece of equipment will suit exactly all those situations. Your particular set up, chemicals, equipment, style, all effect each other. Some are perfectionists that keep everything pristine and others are functionalists that as long as it is working don't fuck with it.:spank:

Like anything we use, there are nuisances that affect how you use it. Not one of us use a pump exactly the same as others or fans, or most anything. You have to learn your equipment; just like you learn each strain of plants and the particular environment and setting each is in.

This one works excellent for me or I would have moved on years ago.:puppydoge

Peace

Good post. So true. There will be more trial and error in this hobby then most any other. And they take a lot longer to learn.

G

BRNEYDBVR said:
Nutradip Tri-meter...

a little pricey, but an awesome meter.

My choice for many years now. Lasts longer than all the others and seldom drifts more than .1 on the PH calibration and never on the tds if stored properly in a solution.

plumpm0nkey

Anyone or anyone know someone that wants to sell their working meter on ebay? i dont care who it is. as long as it works :)

poohdo

I have the

I have the

Hanna 98129 = PH-EC-PPM-TEMP-500 or 700 conversion under $150 = Bad ass!!!! :fsu:

Nutradip tri meter with ppm (wish I would have got the EC one) but this one is going strong after 2 years never even had to cal it. Matches right up with the Hanna I carry around.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Northern Farmer said:
My choice for many years now. Lasts longer than all the others and seldom drifts more than .1 on the PH calibration and never on the tds if stored properly in a solution.
I agree! I use the trimeter also,takes a beating and keeps working! :joint: I have a bluelab Ph truncheon, it's a piece of crap!

jarff

I,ll never use Hanna again.Threw out two 98128,s and one 98129...Never would work right..and I did take good care of em.The hydro shop where I buy my stuff won,t handle the 98129 b,cause they had very bad luck with them They also finally stopped sellin, Hanna,s altogether and went to Oakton which I use now and IMHO best pen to date after having used it for 6 months +
But if the 98129,s work for you then I believe it..I can,t get hannas to work for me..
They are built in many countries around the world and shipped back to US for quality control...then sent all over the world again...Hanna is a US company.I think QC is letting some bad ones thru...I don,t know why they work for some and not for others.
I did call someone who was selling Hanna,s on a big scale and he did say they were having probs in the past year or two with the product...
just my two cents
be safe
jarff