What's new

METER's, Whats your favorite?

sanjuan

Maybe precisely dilute the GH with RO water? I have your meter (haven't used it yet) and bought Genesis cal solution--that's not going to work either. (I just realized) :(

Numboard

This auto calibration stuff really sucks man. It would be nice to be able to tell the meter what solution you are using

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I had a cheap Hanna which sucked because it didn't have Automatic Temperature Compensation.

NEVER buy a meter that doesn't have ATC! Unless you're manually keeping track of the solution temperature and how it affects pH, the meter is useless to you.

Now I have a Milwaukee SM102
TESPHSM102LG.jpg

It was about $120 I think and I love it. It only does pH though, not TDS (I have a separate meter for that. the cheap TDS meters are very good because TDS isn't as technically difficult to measure as pH.)

I suggest the SM802 as suggested earlier in the thread. Another good buy is Hanna HI 98129 that does pH + TDS.

El Toker

For EC I use a bluelabs truncheon, two years now and still going strong.
For pH I use litmus paper, 12 months supply for £10. The batteries never fail, it works consistently and it never needs calibrating. Before that I was going through a couple of pH meters a year and it was always a ball ache.

BIG JT

For EC I use a bluelabs truncheon, two years now and still going strong.
For pH I use litmus paper, 12 months supply for £10. The batteries never fail, it works consistently and it never needs calibrating. Before that I was going through a couple of pH meters a year and it was always a ball ache.

pretty sure it doesn't have an ATC in it, thats why they tell you to let it sit in the rez for 5 minutes before taking measurements. I gots me one and its great

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Anyone else find it weird that the Blue Lab EC truncheon is universally loved and their pH truncheon is universally hated? I was happy I found this out, I was going to buy a pH truncheon because Blue Lab is not making them anymore and assumed it would be awesome like their EC truncheon. Close call.

I have one of the EC truncheons and I have not used it much but I do like it.

Numboard

Anyone else find it weird that the Blue Lab EC truncheon is universally loved and their pH truncheon is universally hated? I was happy I found this out, I was going to buy a pH truncheon because Blue Lab is not making them anymore and assumed it would be awesome like their EC truncheon. Close call.

I have one of the EC truncheons and I have not used it much but I do like it.
thats because as stated before the ph meter doesn't have auto compensation and ec meters are simple enough that you don't need to worry too much about buying a cheap inaccurate one

Regarding Auto temp compensation

Regarding Auto temp compensation

Most decent PH meters do have automatic temperature compensation

HOWEVER

It should be noted that a 5 degree Celsius difference in solution temperature will result in a ph error of about 0.01 ph.

In other words the difference in the reading from a meter that does not have ATC will be entirely negligible. Most if not all of the meters aimed at the hydro market only read to 0.1 ph.

Let's just say that if your reservoir temps fluctuate enough to cause your non ATC equipped meter to show any difference, then ph is the least of your problems...

Happy happy

thinkin

good and bad ones

good and bad ones

Dropped my Aqua TDS/temp meter a few times.
Broke within months of ownership. It was fun. Learned a bunch.(high ppm = bio mass) Now, i dont need it.

Dropped the old Milwaukee PH 600 many times.
Works like a charm as long as its stored properly.
Cheap and reliable.

IMHO all you "need" is PH meter.

Latest posts

Latest posts