What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE HELP! Spider mite , predator mite, clover mite, some other kind of spider?

Wonder if you guys could please help me out , I've scoped probably 30 leaves and havnt seen any signs of spider mites but earlier today I seen a TINY TINY spider crawling on the outside of my small pot it fell off before I could get a clear picture I'll post the blurry one it seemed maybe to big to be a spider mite but then again maybe it isn't please help, thanks

Attachments

• 20170829_165012.jpg
    20170829_165012.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20170829-190335.jpg
    Screenshot_20170829-190335.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170829-190415.jpg
    Screenshot_20170829-190415.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20170829-190420.jpg
    Screenshot_20170829-190420.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 9
Really can't see it at all. Sorry

I know that's the ONLY pic I could get before I lost him I was trying to hurry and it's so fucking blurry but it was 99.9% some kind of spider it was that size as you can see tho seems a little bit to big to be a regular spider mite to me what do you think?

fizz

I could be wrong, but that looks like a well fed predatory mite (stratiolaelaps scimitus). They tend to move at a steady speed, never very fast, and have a tan translucent sort of color. They hang in moist areas where the larvae of common garden pests also thrive. Root aphids and bad mites tend to be darker, faster, and sometimes have tiny horns on their rear. If you use a mild systemic like Azasol and they are unaffected, there is a good chance they aren't harming your plants at all.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...if it's a true spider then it presents no danger to your plants, spiders are predators, not vegetarians.

peace, bozo

I could be wrong, but that looks like a well fed predatory mite (stratiolaelaps scimitus). They tend to move at a steady speed, never very fast, and have a tan translucent sort of color. They hang in moist areas where the larvae of common garden pests also thrive. Root aphids and bad mites tend to be darker, faster, and sometimes have tiny horns on their rear. If you use a mild systemic like Azasol and they are unaffected, there is a good chance they aren't harming your plants at all.

Do you think that spider is to big to be a spider mite and I have never let any predator mites off could they come from outside ? Also I have regular spiders in this grow unfortunately daddy long legs and numerous other kinds that's the ONLY bugs could it be a baby of some sort of other spider than mites ? What do you guys think?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
1 more thing this bug/spider was tiny but also easily spotted by the naked eye so it wasn't microscopic

If you have bug problems, you need a cheap USB microscope off e-bay. The more powerful the better.

I thought I had spider mites, which wound up being russett mites. They are very small, and only a few per plant can ruin a plant. Broad mites are even worse, and had them on another grow. Had to throw every plant out.

I usually find bugs on back of mangy leaves, near damaged areas, or at basewhere petals connect together.

If you have bug problems, you need a cheap USB microscope off e-bay. The more powerful the better.

I thought I had spider mites, which wound up being russett mites. They are very small, and only a few per plant can ruin a plant. Broad mites are even worse, and had them on another grow. Had to throw every plant out.

I usually find bugs on back of mangy leaves, near damaged areas, or at basewhere petals connect together.

I've microscoped 20 - 30 leaves at least with a hand held 100x microscope and hadn't seen anything at all... I just seen this one on the outside on a pot but doesn't it seem a little to big too be a broad, russet, or cyclamen mite or root aphid? Obviously I'm hoping it's just a household baby spider or something but not sure

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I've microscoped 20 - 30 leaves at least with a hand held 100x microscope and hadn't seen anything at all... I just seen this one on the outside on a pot but doesn't it seem a little to big too be a broad, russet, or cyclamen mite or root aphid? Obviously I'm hoping it's just a household baby spider or something but not sure

What do the leaves look like? Are you scoping undergrowth just to be sure, or are the plants noticibly sick?

This guide is great. Skim through looking at pictures, to see what looks like your problem. The insect section is below micro nutrients.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

justanotherbozo

Veteran
What do the leaves look like? Are you scoping undergrowth just to be sure, or are the plants noticibly sick?

This guide is great. Skim through looking at pictures, to see what looks like your problem. The insect section is below micro nutrients.

...yeah, that thread is great but having the book in your library is well worth the money, there's more detail and the info is better organized.

peace, bozo

I looked through there and I don't have any signs like that , the spider mites I see every where on the internet look so small you could hardly see them unless there's a huge infestation and this thing u could see a little bit away from the pot it would have to be a HUGE spider mite if it was one wouldn't it? And if there was one walking around the edges of the pot I would have to have a huge infestation being able to see them on the underside of leave that I scope and such right? And I can't find anything just seen this one ?

fizz

If the bug isn't on your leaf and you see no signs of damage, then yea, I'm still leaning toward predatory mite, and yes they can find their way into just about any grow space, especially via bags of soil. Consider it a blessing. Consider daddy long legs, and jumping spiders or any sort of predator also a blessing. Do not go spraying any toxic chemicals unless you absolutely must. If anything, just a little neem foliar and a good dose of beneficials and vitamins.

If the bug isn't on your leaf and you see no signs of damage, then yea, I'm still leaning toward predatory mite, and yes they can find their way into just about any grow space, especially via bags of soil. Consider it a blessing. Consider daddy long legs, and jumping spiders or any sort of predator also a blessing. Do not go spraying any toxic chemicals unless you absolutely must. If anything, just a little neem foliar and a good dose of beneficials and vitamins.

I know I'm just almost looking to find something now and this is most likely a bland of some sort or trichome or whatnot but what do you think I know some of my more crystal covered kind even clones have these all over the leaves but what do you think a egg or some sort or gland or trichome?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170901-194522.jpg
    Screenshot_20170901-194522.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170901-194500.jpg
    Screenshot_20170901-194500.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20170901-194511.jpg
    Screenshot_20170901-194511.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Latest posts