What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Insect control for plants being moved outside.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
A couple of years ago I put some plants outside in an above ground pool, and brought them back in a few weeks later. They were infested with thrips and russett mites.

Have some plants I want to put out now, and am wondering how I should treat them to prevent infestation. Would a neem spray be good enough? If so, how often, and how long into flower should it be used?

Temps should between 50 and 80 for flowering period.

St. Phatty

You can buy Ladybugs at some garden stores.

$13 for 1500 bugs is a typical price.

They are carnivores - they eat other bugs.

I was thinking about getting some just to give my plants a going over.

They keep the bag in the fridge, so the bugs are sort of asleep. As they wake up, they go looking for food.

therevverend

Veteran
I've found indoor going outdoor isn't a big problem. Enough biological controls that pests can't take hold and do real damage. Hose them down every couple days (unless they're deep into flowering). I've got predatory wasps in my area, they fly around every morning gobbling stuff. Ladybugs, any other organic method can't hurt. I wouldn't use chemicals, as soon as they dissipate the pests will return. And it might kill the helpful insects.
Like what happened to you, it's outdoor going indoor that's a disaster. Going from nature into an enclosed environment one mite egg can multiply into a million over night. Wish I had better advice but all you can do is nuke it. Either use nasty chemicals, or if you have the time, spend a week washing the plants daily with soap and water. Going over every leaf and nook over and over to get every last pest.
I've seen outdoor plants brought in turn white overnight from mildew.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Thanks for the replies!!! Plants are still vegging. Will put out tomorrow. Will clear out some of the weeds around them, but need to leave some on perimeter, for camouflage.

fizz

Tanglefoot, neem (up until last 3 weeks), mulch or sticks to prevent critters digging your girls up, and lots of airflow around the plant. Give them a heavy dose of fish, kelp, vitamins and hormones a couple days before transplant. Cheapest hormone I can think of is some crushed up aspirin (salicylic acid) watered in at the time of transplant. Alternately, you can brew your own salicylic acid tea using willow tree. Don't forget to water in a little molasses or something to draw in some good bacteria.

Good luck.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Tanglefoot, neem (up until last 3 weeks), mulch or sticks to prevent critters digging your girls up, and lots of airflow around the plant. Give them a heavy dose of fish, kelp, vitamins and hormones a couple days before transplant. Cheapest hormone I can think of is some crushed up aspirin (salicylic acid) watered in at the time of transplant. Alternately, you can brew your own salicylic acid tea using willow tree. Don't forget to water in a little molasses or something to draw in some good bacteria.

Good luck.

Forgot to mention, they are in coco with 3 gallon airpots.

Will have to cover with deer fencing, since we have about a dozen in the area.