What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydro plants not doing well..

ChenBenTz

I've never had a problem with hydro before, but for some reason this batch doesn't seem to be growing properly..

I feed them GHE Flora, pH 5.8, 600w HPS, AC-controlled, water temp around 26C.

EFHg10n.jpg

gkJK2q6.jpg

xhldEcv.jpg

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
More information would help to trouble shoot your issue or issues that are affecting your plants.

What type of hydroponic medium are you growing in?

How old are your plants? Are they from seed or are they from cuttings?

My first guess is that they are getting to much nutrients, or the mix is to strong for these or this plant. You might also want to just take a look at the under side of some of those leaves with the little spot just in case those are bug related and not due to the current you are having with the leaves.

Junk

I've never had a problem with hydro before, but for some reason this batch doesn't seem to be growing properly..

I feed them GHE Flora, pH 5.8, 600w HPS, AC-controlled, water temp around 26C.

View Image

View Image

View Image

They look overfed and hot.

But a larger issue is 26 Celsius = 78.8F according to google. That's about 7 -10 degrees too hot brother. It's very hot.

Can you access the root zone and smell them? You may have root rot or fungus. What do the roots look and smell like?

Also, I just look up those nutes....which flora are you using? And in what amount?

Here is a pretty much perfect recipe if you want to use it.

Orca (as directed)
Gh Armor Si 5ml per gallon
Gh Cali-magic 5-8ml per gallon (Observe the plants, you will see/smell where they like it best)
Gh Micro 8ml per gallon
Gh Bloom 16ml per gallon
Botanicaire Liquid Karma 5-8ml per gallon (Observe the plants, you will see/smell where they like it best.
Gh Liquid Koolbloom 5ml pe gallon (I've been omitting this and don't notice a difference)
Adjust ph if needed.

That's RDWC, TONS of light and co2 though, so you will probably want to dial it back 50% and start there. But that recipe is used by myself, and some of the best growers I know.

Last edited:

Nico Farmer

Wich strain is it?

Bless all :tiphat:

About quote: I was high and rode to fast, I think water temp is too hot too.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
GHE is not the same as GH, and mixing 8:16 won't work properly. Not sure what it should be, just know there's a difference.

26c is definitely too hot for nutrient temp, definitely too much nutez.

ChenBenTz

Sorry to bump up this thread so late, but I did the best to relieve the issues you mentioned, namely heat and too much nutes.

I lowered the temperature of the reservoir and increased the flow of the water with another pump so it goes through the system quicker.

I didn't flush the entirely, but I added about 80% R/O water with no nutrients.

So far, it hasn't changed anything. What else should I do?

Thanks again.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Well when you add the RO water, after a few cycles the ppm should go up again. I would keep changing the res daily. Completely change out all water. There could be a nitrogen build up.

So change res to pure water and repeat until signs of improvement.

fizz

I'm guessing you're concerned about the clawing? I mostly agree with what the others have said, but I am failing to see any real issue. Some strains just grow weird like that. I'm guessing these were some sort of OG line grown from seed? Based on previous experiences, these clawing type of leaves are common with OG lines and tend to fan out later and turn into big satellites, requiring a lot of calcium.

Assuming you've got pH and environment in check, I would only back off slightly on nitrogen, and supplement more calcium. Aside from that they look fine, just wait it out. If my hunch is correct, they will be ready to eat A LOT in the coming weeks.

What strain? ;D

ChenBenTz

So, there could be nitrogen build-up in the water? I thought I was through with that kind of stuff with hydro, since I'm using no medium besides water and this has not happened before.

It takes approximately an hour to filter 10L of water, and I have about 200L of water in circulation. How many times should I replace the water?

I'm guessing you're concerned about the clawing?

No, I wish. The plants aren't flowering.. like I'm running CFLs or not giving them any nutes.

But I'm being told to add less nutrients. So, I'm not sure what to do..

I'm thinking of removing a few plants and putting them into another container and adding more nutrients to see if that is the issue, just as a test.

they will be ready to eat A LOT in the coming weeks.

Actually, with all of this I forgot that they're about 9 weeks flowering. So, I think it's a loss.. :(

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
9 weeks? What percent amber are the trichomes??

Pure r/o till the finish is probably your best bet. It won't cure anything but it will help remove the last of the non-fixed elements in the plant. Your end product is going to burn hot and cherry forever, there is going to be that much additional nutrient left over.

Your best bet will be to do an extraction, leaving as much of that behind. Work with edibles in small batches for practice. :)

Junk

So, there could be nitrogen build-up in the water? I thought I was through with that kind of stuff with hydro, since I'm using no medium besides water and this has not happened before.
It's not the water. You can have a physical build up on the roots. And once overfed, you can see any number of reactions.

It takes approximately an hour to filter 10L of water, and I have about 200L of water in circulation. How many times should I replace the water?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You want to replace all of it at once, and leave it. If you are at 9 weeks now, you should have done that about 3 weeks ago.

What is your water temp now? IIRC your water was 8-10* too hot. You didn't have any root rot problems bc of that?

ChenBenTz

Okay, so I did two things.

1.) I positioned my AC duct through the reservoir. Now the temps are around 20-22C. There is a very noticeable difference. The water was warm before, definitely cool now.

2.) I removed all the water, then pumped about 100L of water through to clean the system, and finally replaced it with R/O water with nutrients.

ganjafahma

some strains just dont do as well as others under certain conditions, it looks sad but not lost, and i live in a hot climate so imo your rez temps may be hot in theory but i run those temps for yrs with no issues. do you use a hydrogaurd of any sort? whats your ph at? stay positive she can still make it .

Junk

Okay, so I did two things.

1.) I positioned my AC duct through the reservoir. Now the temps are around 20-22C. There is a very noticeable difference. The water was warm before, definitely cool now.

2.) I removed all the water, then pumped about 100L of water through to clean the system, and finally replaced it with R/O water with nutrients.

#1...good.

#2...I would have skipped the nutes until the plant looked happy again, just for future reference. Hopefully you end up ok.

Someone posted they didn't see a problem, some plants just grow weird. That is true, some do. But in your case, I think the water temp and over feeding caused it.

You can leave the plants in plain ph'd water for weeks. Next time, don't be afraid to give it just water for a while. They spring back quickly and with more consistency than putting it right back in nutes. It's like a reset button. Don't be afraid to use it. They will be fine for a long time.