What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed with Aquaponics

Smokeeee

Hi

Just have one question, does aquaponics (that thing with the fishes) fit to cannabis growing, or they will have nutrient deficiency?

junior_grower

it works wonders, my koi love there winter home as do my 4 plants that i grow in there but REMEMBER TO FEED THEM OR THEY EAT THE CANNABIS ROOTS.

from my understanding about this style of growing, the fish waste is mostly N and trace in content. There are other nutrients in the waste, but not in the right levels for cannabis. you will be able to get through veg, but I believe you will find flowering to be slow/small with maybe nutrient deficencies. I know this style works really well with leafy veggies, lettuce, spinach, kale, etc. but with veggies that have flowers like tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, etc they grow slower than normal and tend to produce smaller fruit.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I agree somewhat with HempAlchemists opinion, however I have done several aqua grows and had my share of failures along the way trying to get it right, but alas I did have great sucess once I finally got it dialed in. Aquaponics is absolutely not for a hydro beginner, but if you read the plants it's fantastic, giving the tastiest buds you'll ever smoke.

Aquaponics is explosive during vegetative growth of course, but it does great in late flowering too as long as you adjust for flowering by way of pre treating the water to bump its PK levels up and reduce fish populations in the last half of flowering to cut back the N. This can be accomplished easily with a water holding barrel to pre treat your topping up water first by spiking the pH with potassium hydroxide & potassium silicate, then bring down the spiked pH with phosphoric acid. The above is what worked for me and is exactly what large industrial sized aquaculture farms do for P&K adjustment when needed depending on crop.

For the most part, aquaponics will give you lush explosive growth and very nice tasty buds provided you have a well established system before introducing plants and as long as you have an adequate fish population and feed them high quality food. If the diet and population is right then you'll have zero macro & micro nute deficiencies the plants receive. Also, aggressive aeration to de-gas co2 is a must, or you'll end up with suffering fish and a plummeting pH from the carbonic acid building up in the water from the high fish populations co2 output.

All said and done, I had a grow of nl5xshiva that was putting out main colas the size of my thigh, excellent tasty buds as a final result, but one hell of a learning curve along the way. It in my experience is the best route to true "organic" hydro.

NOT too many IC'ers doing it as it isn't as simple as advertised and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some previous hydro experience and are willing take the plunge, and maybe you'll even grow yourself some edible fish as well. :shark:

Look here...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=127845

hth,

10k does your pretreated water with the pH up and down additions end up with the same pH as your fish tank?

because if the plant absorbs more of the potassium hydroxide & potassium silicate wont that affect your systems pH? why do you use 2 different types of potassium?