What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chicken shack rdwc madness.

BigGreen

Veteran
Dont use the hygrozyme in dwc thats were the slimes coming from. Take your girls out and bath the roots with tap water and gently clean the slime off.

Numboard

I just added the hygro a couple days ago. The slime came from "general organics CaMg+"
Also I thought hygro was okay in dwc... ffs
There isnt any slime on the roots just in the buckets along the walls and stuff. Today im taking all the plants out and throughly rinsing the buckets with a 10:1 water:bleach mix. That should take care of any remaining algae. Explain to me why using hygro in rdwc is a no no? Plenty of people do it...

onegreenday

Veteran
enzymes & slime?

enzymes & slime?

Dont use the hygrozyme in dwc thats were the slimes coming from. Take your girls out and bath the roots with tap water and gently clean the slime off.

can you explain why enzymes are bad for DWC?
I've been using H&G Multizen & I don't see slime.
thanks.

BigGreen

Veteran
Keep on using it.
I should of said it aint going in my dwc no more because I believe it has help me get the slime or helped feed the slime (brown algae). I know its suppose to be all good but I say keep that shit in the ebb & flo and drip and out of the dwc. Some people make it work I dont.
Good luck with the grow

onegreenday

Veteran
Keep on using it.
I should of said it aint going in my dwc no more because I believe it has help me get the slime or helped feed the slime (brown algae). I know its suppose to be all good but I say keep that shit in the ebb & flo and drip and out of the dwc. Some people make it work I dont.
Good luck with the grow

Thank you for the tip.

you may be right Big Green My roots are not pure white but
I thought it was the humates in Canna Aqua.

I run Pythoff to
protect from pathogens; then after a few dayz add some enzymes

but I don't think they are really needed in hydro (even the the grow stores suggest)

Man somehow I think this is bad advise. Hygrozyme is an enzymatic product that will eat organic material like slime and sludge itself, getting rid of it and converting it to basic sugars/nitrogen. It should prevent sludge, not create it. I am having no problems running it in DWC and have problems when I don't run it because of its protecting ability for roots.

BigGreen

Veteran
Bad advise? What ever dude. Im not gonna use it. If ya think I dont know what Im talking about go look in my threads.
Theres a huge thread on brown algae and its based all around hygrozyme and such. Some people believe it helps feed the slime.

Bad advise? What ever dude. Im not gonna use it. If ya think I dont know what Im talking about go look in my threads.
Theres a huge thread on brown algae and its based all around hygrozyme and such. Some people believe it helps feed the slime.

Interesting. The product designed to remove sludge feeds it? I'll search this thread, I'll be interested in seeing how the control group was developed then, or how they are testing its ability to feed sludge. I also said I think it was bad advise, i never drew that conclusion entirely. ;) Its possibly the most expensive additive I use, so getting rid of zymes would be killer for the pocketbook.

JTDuffet

I would like to make a suggestion, and you can take it or leave it.. but after looking at a couple of the photos of the covers off the buckets, i saw the water levels.. I always thought that it was good to have some space in the root areas that are NOT under water. at your water levels it looks like the net pot is completely submerged in the solution.. is this true?

i have been running buckets for years, and I like to have several inches of air space below the bottom of the net pot and the water below.. at least some kind of gap.. doesn't have to be inches.. but SOME gap..

anyone else want to comment on this as well? other than that, they are doing ok so far..

-jt

superusa

Interesting. The product designed to remove sludge feeds it? I'll search this thread, I'll be interested in seeing how the control group was developed then, or how they are testing its ability to feed sludge. I also said I think it was bad advise, i never drew that conclusion entirely. ;) Its possibly the most expensive additive I use, so getting rid of zymes would be killer for the pocketbook.

Some people really have had issues with Hygrozyme...I think it realates more to the fact that hygro breaks down dead mass and essentially releases carbs into your solution....so if you do have any microbials in there, they now have a feast of pre-processed food.

superusa

I would like to make a suggestion, and you can take it or leave it.. but after looking at a couple of the photos of the covers off the buckets, i saw the water levels.. I always thought that it was good to have some space in the root areas that are NOT under water. at your water levels it looks like the net pot is completely submerged in the solution.. is this true?

i have been running buckets for years, and I like to have several inches of air space below the bottom of the net pot and the water below.. at least some kind of gap.. doesn't have to be inches.. but SOME gap..

anyone else want to comment on this as well? other than that, they are doing ok so far..

-jt

I used to run a gap between the bottom of the netpots and the water, but I don't concern myself with it too much any more.....haven't noticed any real difference....

Numboard

Well the plants are still fairly small. The water level is about one inch under the surface of the hydroton Just barely licking the bottom of the rockwool. Once the plant gets bigger I might drop it down a bit. Thanks for the input!

Numboard

Blah updates.

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

aaaa1.jpg

aaaa2.jpg

aaaa3.jpg

aaaa4.jpg

aaaa5.jpg

aaaa6.jpg

Numboard

naw I have been doing res changes alot lately. so i dont want to waste my 10 dollar botle of hygro untill i get it stable for a nice solid week

Numboard

updates:
b7.jpg

b6.jpg

White widow roots:
b4.jpg

Biggest trainwreck roots:
b5.jpg

WW plant:
b3.jpg

Biggest tw plant:
b2.jpg