What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

countertop distiller to reclaim ethanol

pseudostelariae

does anyone have experience using a simple countertop still to reclaim alcohol from full spectrum extractions?
http://www.amazon.com/Megahome-Countertop-Distiller-Stainless-Bottle/dp/B000ANW7HQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1396209140&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=megahome+stainless+steel

the idea is to pick one of these up, do a 30 minute soak in hot ethanol with flowers and trim, winterize the solution, filter it and then distill the ethanol away for furthur use to leave a nice, clean, full spectrum extract without excessive chlorophyll or waxes.

jump /injack

Veteran
That was a very informative post. Gray Wolf has a DIY reclamation still that you might want to look at also. I didn't know that a reclamation still like that existed for that little of money, done like Jump 117 does [very carefully] it you'd have very fine product. I hope someone has been using one of these and chime's in and lets us know how it worked.

I went to Amazon and read some of the comments, most were pleased with the unit for distilling water, looks like a way to go. One of the comments was about a bad weld and the water leaked into the electrical, I sure wouldn't want 190 to ever do that, don't think I'd sleep much if this was in the kitchen cooking off alcohol. Of course that YouTube tutorial said a few times that this was for the outside of the house or apartment and not to be used inside.

Here is the URL for Gray Wolf's reclamation still, lots of good information there: http://skunkpharmresearch.com/alcohol-reclaim-still/

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
Use Gray Wolf's diy set up. I would not recommend leaving something like that full of alc cooking in the house all night!!!

pseudostelariae

Use Gray Wolf's diy set up. I would not recommend leaving something like that full of alc cooking in the house all night!!!

looks like a great DIY but unfortunately i'm short on tools and workspace. plus i already ordered it. oh well, i'm no stranger to 8 hour days just watching the pressure cooker do it's thing. with a spare in-line sitting next to the distiller sending any vapor outside, it should be a pretty boring cakewalk but relatively safe.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Well from what you say you do not leave it unattended, I would never leave a pot of alc cooking. You will be able to use the alc one more time before it grabs too much water.

pseudostelariae

is there any way to dry the alcohol? re-distill possibly? in other experiments i've used epsom salt to soak up excess moisture from non-polar solvents but admittedly, i'm no chemist.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there any way to dry the alcohol? re-distill possibly? in other experiments i've used epsom salt to soak up excess moisture from non-polar solvents but admittedly, i'm no chemist.

As noted, a compound refluxing still will run it back up to the azeotropic 95.6%, or under vacuum closer to 99%.

Joe tells me that Dri rite can be used to dry ethanol.

jump /injack

Veteran
DRIERITE

DRIERITE

As noted, a compound refluxing still will run it back up to the azeotropic 95.6%, or under vacuum closer to 99%.

Joe tells me that Dri rite can be used to dry ethanol.

"The quantity of DRIERITE necessary to dry a particular batch of liquid must be sufficient to absorb all of the water available as determined by a sample analysis. DRIERITE has a theoretical chemical capacity for water of 6.6%; however, in liquid phase drying, we recommend that 5% be used as a design capacity for the entire column. In other words, 100 pounds of DRIERITE should be used for each 5 pounds of water to be absorbed. 
In addition to the above consideration, the size of the drying column or desiccant bed may have to be determined by the flow rate of the liquid to be dried if this flow cannot be adjusted." More at:
https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page18.cfm

This DRIERITE seems like the way to go and its re-useable. Not talking about a lot of water in 190, an easy computation.

pseudostelariae

this works quite well. i've been reclaiming about 75% of the everclear used and depending on how long i soak/stir and whether or not i do a quick wash with frozen material/alcohol or just simmer material and winterize before distillation i've been yielding about 10% clear golden oil on QWET and over 20% of dark, almost black oil from the runs i simmered/winterized. i'll post more exact numbers and lab reports once everything has been tested.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it legal to operate a counter top still for this purpose in the US?

Joe likes his Megahome still.

There is wiggle room for a still under a gallon capacity and for use in a lab or essential oil production, but the laws were written to insure that Uncle gets his drinking liquor taxes.

If you were to start selling alcohol, you could count on them being on your doorstep. They would have to be pretty bored, want you badly, or be looking for charges to add on, to be concerned about you recovering tax paid alcohol without paying the taxes one more time.

The laws governing who can get a distillers license, don't allow residences, because of fire safety ordinances.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Public safety might have been what the federal government said they had in mind when enacting 27 CFR 19.51, but the thought of fire probably never occurred to the author.

There is a lot of alcohol law to run afoul of just in 27 CFR, so even if you think you qualify as an industrial user not requiring licensure, the authorities will probably think otherwise.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Public safety might have been what the federal government said they had in mind when enacting 27 CFR 19.51, but the thought of fire probably never occurred to the author.

There is a lot of alcohol law to run afoul of just in 27 CFR, so even if you think you qualify as an industrial user not requiring licensure, the authorities will probably think otherwise.

Here are a couple of good links on both subjects!

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/19.51

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5171

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Off brand 63 dollar counter top water distiller.

Used 1.75 of cheap vodka.

The trickle started within 15 minutes.

when the trickle stops to a drip that's distilled water. 1.75 cheap vodka at end had yellow impuritys that cleaned out with rag.

95 percent ehtyl amount approx .82 liter recovered.

:biggrin:

dybert

These things are awesome...

These things are awesome...

I've literally distilled hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of ethanol through them.

Latest posts

Latest posts