What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I consider Guano to be spent after using for tea?

Let's say you put 50mL of Guano in a pantyhose and bubble it for 12h in a 25L container with some mollasses. After using the tea, how many nutrients do you think are left in the solid matter contained in the pantyhose?

I've been doing teas and adding the solid remainings to a bucket of soil that I'm now going to amend and prepare for next run, and I'm wondering whether I should consider that soil to be spent/lightly fertilized by the guano/heavily fertilized by the guano (I may have added in there 10 or 20 solid remainings of teas, so about 500-1000mL).

Thanks!

Rico Swazi

limited solubility so i would say most nutrients would remain in the mud until acted upon by microbes to make them plant available

Try a tea without the guano, I suspect the molasses is doing more for your plants and soil biology than with it.

For that reason I would call it heavily fertilized as an amendment

Yeah, that was my feeling as well! I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference, I'll just act as if I had added a liter of fresh Guano in there. Thanks!

mexweed

Veteran
the seabird guano I use for tea definitely adds P, I went from being a bit P deficient, to perfect at 1 tbsp/gal, to burning the plants when I tried 2 tbsp/gal

there were times some of the sediment poured out onto the top of the soil and it didn't burn the plants, so definitely not full concentration in the leftover material

St. Phatty

the easily soluble pieces are gone.

grinding it into powder might help, e.g. in a blender.

I usually put that kind of "semi used guano solids" into the #1 red worm bin, the worm bin that gets the best food.

Latest posts

Latest posts