What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jamaican, dub stylee

Rembetis

Thanks for the input Funkyhorse.
I wasnt trying to imply that you were knocking the guy at all. What I meant was that rather than put all that out there in the beginning I chose to focus on the plants and if the discussion required talking about magic herbs then so be it because it is the truth and I dont want to hide anything regarding how we got to this point.

Your info about the Punto Rojo is appreciated. I believe my seeds are from the second run and I also picked up the Mango Biche and Ghana at that time as well as Ethiopian.

I grow indoors only so the Mango Biche is probably out for now. I have grown some wild sativa types before and did well so I am not afraid to try any of these. If we dont go for it and try our best with these then what?

SUPER_HAZE

Hello Funkyhorse.

I also believed that the seeds they sold after punto rojo had changed parents, but I asked and they told me they were the same.

I have seeds from 2016 and others that came out later but I have not tried them yet. Here I saw some photos of a punto rojo of cannabiogen and it looked like a hybrid but I have also seen many of a sativa or NLD aspect.
I think there are a lot of different genotypes and that's why it seems like they are seeds from different parents. We will have to look for the best plants.

Kaiki already said it, there was a lot of hermie and a lot of crippy.

Montuno

...como el Son...
I am not into knocking on someone or trying to create controversy. It is just that truth is controversial and I certainly disagree with the ethics and morals going on in the cannabis world which makes it not very reliable
I grew this strain side by side with Coljam from JGL which is also becoming a controversial strain and shares the lambsbread in the genetics with Double jam and the result has been very different
It seems now USC and TSC are having their CG72 lines and they seem to be different. TSC did a repro of JGL seeds. And from what I am seeing in my grows from stuff bought through USC distributor together with this post from Instagram plus reports of a sneaky attitude towards genetics, it seems what Cristalin is doing a Coljam repro and naming it CG72
Cristalin words: no only pure landrace reproduction for this strain, we had col'jam .. but it's finished , thx
From this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPD6xKBAjx/

When I bought it I didnt know it was Double jam, I was told by TSC, in fact I just used the phoenician method, I only start researching after I get the goods in my hands, I started growing 2 years ago in search of decent smoke which seems to be comercially unavailable at the western world, basically when I ask clubs about sativas they all tell me we dont grow that shit, grow it yourself. So here I am, becoming a no choice grower looking for decent sativas

And Double Jam seems to be a collaboration/cooperation of different Vibes Collective members. Kaiki has the Blue Mountain and the vibes Co the lambsbread and this strain seems to be a source of disagreement between the collective members.

There were 2 releases of CBG Punto Rojo and the reports from the spanish forum say they are two different things. The first one is a Kaiki work released around 2012 from stuff sourced around year 2000 which had to be cleaned a lot because of hybridization. The second release is different than the first. Reports say it has 70% hermies in the males, so to find good males you need to run numbers
This second release was pulled out of sales on same day together with Ghana and Jarilla de Sinaloa, so I suspect this Punto Rojo release is from Criposo as he said Ghana and Jarilla are his and there was probably a problem in the relationship between them

If you are going to germinate now and want it ready for april, you must be in the southern hemisphere. You can try light dep or make first half of flowering indoors and bring the plant to finnish outside by the end of february, it will become an outdoor bud if you induce it to flowering indoors. That would be the only way to finnish it by the end of april outdoors in the southern hemisphere. Or you can try growing it indoors. Viable Punto Rojo males seem to be very rare

I am in South America after 30 years of life in Asia and things have changed more than a little bit around here. Today Punto Rojo is a generic name for top notch colombian weed or for 3 toke of a needle ganja of the past and I see people here are mixing in their descriptions paraguayan 80's with colombian 80's. They were both top notch but different. Today growers and clubs around here all care for having the hyped fast american/european hybrids, they care for productivity and to get it ready as fast as possible and they dont care much for quality

Hola, amigo.

...Pero Jarilla de Sinaloa (aka Cola de borrego sinaloense ), no fue seleccionada en origen en Mexico de entre sus cultivos en la sierra por Sergio (en Icmag, Sinaloa), para ser trabajada por CannaBioGen luego en España ?

...Ya me comentaras si has cultivado alguna de aquellas "cripas" y "colombianas negras" por las que me preguntastes...

Salud !

(Pd: Supongo que te refieres a Tropical Seeds Company con la siglas TSC...)

funkyhorse

Hola, amigo.

...Pero Jarilla de Sinaloa (aka Cola de borrego sinaloense ), no fue seleccionada en origen en Mexico de entre sus cultivos en la sierra por Sergio (en Icmag, Sinaloa), para ser trabajada por CannaBioGen luego en España ?

...Ya me comentaras si has cultivado alguna de aquellas "cripas" y "colombianas negras" por las que me preguntastes...

Salud !

(Pd: Supongo que te refieres a Tropical Seeds Company con la siglas TSC...)

Hola!
Si, TSC me refiero a Tropical Seeds Co
Estoy esperando que el humus de lombriz fresco esté listo a ver si tengo suerte y esas semillas junto con otras dificiles germinan

Cuando el instagram de Criposo estaba abierto al publico habia un post en donde se afirmaba que esas geneticas eran de el y el propio Criposo lo confirmaba, honestamente desconozco las historias detras de esas geneticas y por que los bancos las dan de baja o no y por que se afirma que pertenecen a tal o cual, por eso posteo y pregunto para que se aclare. Me resultó llamativo que se dieran de baja esas geneticas el mismo dia y lo poco que duran las geneticas y lo volátiles que son.

Lo ideal seria que las geneticas se cataloguen por año de produccion como los vinos porque las camadas de diferentes años de la misma genetica parecen ser bien distintas y da lugar a confusiones.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Hola!
Si, TSC me refiero a Tropical Seeds Co
Estoy esperando que el humus de lombriz fresco esté listo a ver si tengo suerte y esas semillas junto con otras dificiles germinan

Cuando el instagram de Criposo estaba abierto al publico habia un post en donde se afirmaba que esas geneticas eran de el y el propio Criposo lo confirmaba, honestamente desconozco las historias detras de esas geneticas y por que los bancos las dan de baja o no y por que se afirma que pertenecen a tal o cual, por eso posteo y pregunto para que se aclare. Me resultó llamativo que se dieran de baja esas geneticas el mismo dia y lo poco que duran las geneticas y lo volátiles que son.

Lo ideal seria que las geneticas se cataloguen por año de produccion como los vinos porque las camadas de diferentes años de la misma genetica parecen ser bien distintas y da lugar a confusiones.

Si estas en Colombia ya me comentaras si es posible que algo como la antigua Negra de Manzanera aka Colombian Black se este cultivando en Los LLanos orientales en la actualidad (?)... Y no me extrañaría que ni germinasen, al haber pasado por EUA en su camino de Colombia a España...

Sobre la Jarilla de Sinaloa y Sergio aka Sinaloa:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=234701

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301705

Last edited:

funkyhorse

Hi Rembetis
Sorry to hijack your thread, but some interesting info is coming up here, I hope you dont mind

I am only 5000kms away from colombia
This is Cauca:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6-zxXpTSw

In Los Llanos today legal corpos seem to be strong:
https://llanosietedias.com/sin-categoria/cultivan-marihuana-legal-en-el-meta/

I honestly doubt any of the 20th century strains is being grown in Colombia today
I have TLT Llanera and Colombian Black Bastards which seems to be done with BCO Colombian Black which was sourced in 2002, when Colombia was already hybridized. Both of these seeds are very small
The problem with those seeds is not that they went through Usa
These brick seeds are very big, thats why I think is crippy and by Tropical Biophile words this stuff was fermented:
"This is bud from the “Llanos orientales”, the plains between Colombia and Venezuela. Buds are dark and sticky, even when coming as pressed bud, very resinous so many times I could not finish the joints, they got all clogged up. Half smoked joints get hard as they cold".
https://overgrow.com/t/tropicalbiophile-landrace-giveaway/6616/37

I post this in that thread too

Look how paraguayan brick weed comes:
picture.php

It is packed in such way that will ferment on transport or when buried in the ground. Quality today is rubbish but this is not about quality but viability of seeds
The viability of seeds germing in a brick is 10% and less if the brick had fermented
So you need a lot of seeds in order to get a plant going. If I get one of the 10 seeds I have to germ I will be very lucky.

Rembetis

Hello everyone, time for another update.

Today is exactly one month since the first sprouts pushed up above the soil. The tallest plant is at 19 inches now.

Re potted into 1 Gallon pots last week and am already seeing pre flowers. 2 males and 1 female so far. Also still getting some very fat leaf seedlings which have been pulled. All 4 packs were planted and I still have another 16 seedlings to sort thru hoping to find more of the Lambsbread phenos. Most of the plants so far have a hybrid look to them.

Rembetis

ok Jamaican fans. A slight detour.

With the Virus lockdowns and the deteriorating social situation becoming more dangerous for tourists there it doesn't look like there will be any opportunities to travel to the island in the foreseeable future. I reached out to my buddies to see what the reality is on the island regarding finding any of the old stuff.

I asked about the Ganja I saw in the 80's and also specific local Landrace names that I knew of and I was assured that it does exist but nobody wants it or wants to grow it. But seeds exist right? Yah mon. Great, get me some.

I offered a hefty reward for any and all Landrace types they could dig up and also expenses for their time and gas money. Sounds like a plan they said! Ok then, I'll need plenty of photos too. No problem mon.

Now if you've never talked with a Jamaican you have to understand that they consider themselves to be the ultimate authorities on any and all things Ganja related and trying to argue anything they tell you is just proving how inferior you are and reinforces their superiority. That attitude makes for some complicated discussions at times. To them Indica and sativa are feelings you get from smoking and not types of weed. And you can find both on one plant. I guess if you harvest branches at different times. They have no concept of what I am talking about when I say tropical strains like Columbian versus Afghanis or Kush. It doesnt register that there is a mountain range called the Hindu Kush and they dont even want Afghani. It has to be Kush. Thats all that matters.

Since the initial conversation I've gotten voicemails questioning what the fuck I am after. One voicemail simply said " Indica, you want Indica, thats what you are looking for".

So today they trekked up to where there was something they were sure I would like and of course someone else wants the seeds badly so I better jump on them quick

Here are the photos I got

Looks to me like someone sent some Deep Chunk over there at one point. Dont know what the hell it is.

I love those guys to death but sometimes you have to wonder. I'll post if I get anything else from them

Last edited:

tcherno

There were 2 releases of CBG Punto Rojo and the reports from the spanish forum say they are two different things. The first one is a Kaiki work released around 2012 from stuff sourced around year 2000 which had to be cleaned a lot because of hybridization. The second release is different than the first. Reports say it has 70% hermies in the males, so to find good males you need to run numbers
This second release was pulled out of sales on same day together with Ghana and Jarilla de Sinaloa, so I suspect this Punto Rojo release is from Criposo as he said Ghana and Jarilla are his and there was probably a problem in the relationship between them

I cultivated the second version, and indeed I had 6 males, only 1 did not hermie, so I was able to reproduce the strain, the females were stable no hermie worries

Rembetis

my fault for mentioning Punto Rojo I guess. Can you guys please take the discussion elsewhere? This is a Jamaican thread

Montuno

...como el Son...
This second release was pulled out of sales on same day together with Ghana and Jarilla de Sinaloa, so I suspect this Punto Rojo release is from Criposo as he said Ghana and Jarilla are his and there was probably a problem in the relationship between them.(...)

my fault for mentioning Punto Rojo I guess. Can you guys please take the discussion elsewhere? This is a Jamaican thread

Respecting the wish of Rembetis, I invite you to continue discussing the origin and authorship of the Jarilla de Sinaloa sold by CannaBioGen in this thread by my "friend in the distance" Sinaloa, whom I have (if I am not totally mistaken), because of her origin..:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=234701

Rembetis

Week 5 update,

10 females, 2 males so far. Pulled the fatter leaved male. The other one showed more of the Jamaican character and had narrower leaves so I kept it. Hoping for one of the Lambsbread looking plants to be a good male. No hermies. Everything is solid so far.

Most look like hybrids or lean towards the Blue Mt but there are a couple Lambsbread phenos

Is it just slow in here or do people really not care about the Jamaican? Figured someone might want to see them as they develop week to week but maybe I should hold off until there is more to see

Rembetis

Week 6, Day 8 of flower

All but two seedlings have been sexed. 17 fems and only 2 males from 48 seeds. Everything else was culled or didnt sprout. Not too impressed with Magic Herbs selections. My plants are all stable and not showing any signs of hermies so far.

Flowering has exploded since finding the first preflowers last week. Despite others reporting lack of Resin on the flowers I am seeing abundant Resin on the swollen bracts of the earliest flowers. It is easily visible with 30x magnification.

Last edited:

funkyhorse

Hi there
I made the plants of this strain hash and it was the most productive hash making strain of the few I tried to my surprise, I wasnt expecting it to be a good producer. Certainly the plants have a lot of resin, when they finnish trichomes are visible to the naked eye. I didnt test the hash yet, I hope to get some high out of it because the buds didnt have any and I am curious why is this because the reports of the original Double Jam are good

Rembetis

Let us know how it turns out. I love Sativa Hash. I had some Mozambique that was not heavy with resin which you would expect in an unworked Landrace but it made the most beautiful red hash.

It was not a wickedly potent African Sativa. Very clear and pleasant but after a 6 month cure I made the Hash and it took it to a whole new level. The bud itself was better with the cure too but the Hash really shines with all kinds of fruity and minty flavors coming thru.

Last edited:

Rembetis

Starting to look like what I remember seeing in Jamaica long ago. My buddies in Jamaica are having a hard time figuring out what they are looking for so I sent them a couple photos of the Double Jam to help them out.

This photo is typical of Jamaican, the 5 bladed leaf. The back two directly opposed to each other and the other three always spread out like they are trying to get away from each other. Sometimes very extreme in the spread.

Of course leaves like this will be found in any narrow leaf strain but the old Jamaican had a unique look to it. I have some leaves showing the more extreme spread and will post them when I get a chance

aliceklar

Good luck in finding the phenos you are hunting - I thought what thereverend said was interesting - you cant always predict the effect of a smoke from the form of the plant - so if you cull the "indica" looking ones you might lose some good stuff. I'm coming round to the idea of trying to grow as many as possible when I'm pheno hunting, using tiny pots to maximise the number of plants I can squeeze in (which keeps size smaller and makes flowering earlier too), make sure everything is labelled, and then wait until I've smoked them all to choose which plants to grow on seeds from (or clones, if I was able to take them at the time - or re-veg, if that is possible... again... it all takes time and space!)

Btw, this is a great thread - please keep the pics and reports coming.

Peace,
AK :smoke:

Rembetis

What therevverend said is correct. I have Afghani Landraces that are narrow leaf as well as many middle eastern strains. In the old days everything "Indica" was expected to be a fat leaved strain. So leaf shape alone doesnt tell you what the effect may be.

In this particular case if you read what I posted early on I am dealing with what I believe to have been contamination from one of the Skunk cross lines also having the name Blue Mountain rather than the true Blue Mountain collected by Siete. My efforts are aimed at cleaning the line and trying to bring out the true Jamaican. I have great memories from many trips there so I am relying on that as well as old photos to help me sort thru the phenos. Right now leaf shape and plant structure are all I have to go on. Once I can smoke test individual plants I will know if I am on the right track.

These days what passes for Sativa is actually hybrid. Fat leaved seedlings that eventually turn narrow are not the old Tropical landraces that I am after. I am old and I am old school. If it is a Sativa I expect it to be pure narrow leaf from day 1 and that is why I bought this line. Not interested in hybrid or hybrid effects. There are millions of hyrids out there if I want that. In fact I have a freezer full of Deep Chunk crosses if I need a top hybrid. If I cant find remnants of the old line in one of these plants the seeds will end up in the bird feeder and I will move on. I have plenty of Punto Rojo and Mangobiche seeds to sort thru as well as some Thai and plenty of African Landraces that need to get popped.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Ah, got it! Forgot you had that specific project in mind. Good luck with it - fingers crossed you find the phenos you're looking for.

arbac