What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
If you have never seen this, you are in for a treat. Claude Lelouch was a French director (won Oscars, Palm D’Or etc) who one day decided to make a film of a Ferrari racing at high speed through the streets of Paris from the western edge of the inner city through the downtown landmarks to Sacré-Cœur in Montmarte from the vantage point of the driver. All in one take with no edits.

C'était un rendez-vous

It is, of course, not what it seems. He mounted a camera on a Mercedes sedan and sped the film up to give the illusion of a really fast speed - but still in one take. And he added the soundtrack – engine noise and gear changes from a Ferrari 275gtb and squealing tires in post-production. There were 2 panic moments when he made it btw. Certainly one of my favourite short films in my favourite city.

Edit: The first link I posted didn't have the whole 8 minute movie. This one does - in better quality too!

Last edited:

moose eater

I instructed my wife this AM that when my terminus comes, however soon or distant, she should raffle off my custom-built automated hash tumbler, advising she should sell 200-300 tickets at $20/each. Molds and/or press to be added.

Shipping would be noteworthy, to be sure. None of it but the seeds collections could be considered compact or light-weight.

Possibly any remaining heirloom seeds collections might be raffled through an appropriate outlet as well; what ever I haven't already gifted to others.

Ought to bring in a decent (albeit modest) amount of money to be had therein.

No immediately impending demise that I know of (of course, who knows when..), but figured arrangements and/or ideas need to be firmed well beforehand.

Not as morbid an idea as it might seem on the surface, either. Functional gear going to someone who might make use of it, or, perhaps the beginning of the "Smithstonian Museum" we once joked about..

Three Berries

Mu cams were two teeth out of time due to chain wear. :(
2L cams-with-stretched-chain w red line.jpg

moose eater

Has anyone else noted that some farms' veggies are 'telling' when they use excess, readily available fish-based fertilizers? Seriously. It can be tasted in some items, especially 'accumulators', however faintly/minimally or greater, and in some produce, there's sometimes even a telling odor. Broccoli, for example.

"There oughta be a law!!"

moose eater

against broccoli? i'll vote for it... i still want a law that forces politicians to repeal 2 laws for every new one they pass, and WE get to pick the 2 killed. :woohoo:
Broccoli is cool, and helps to fight cancers, too.

Though I found that growing it when I was adjusting the ph in our raised beds downward via agricultural sulfur granules/pellets, and using them in increased amount, beyond directed use, the broccoli was one plant that didn't mind excess sulfur at all, even thriving with it, but after harvest, when there was a quantity of the broccoli in a cooler, the whole cooler smelled like an old school match factory from the sulfur. It was truly significant

No, the excess fish fertilizer (which in controlled and proper amount is awesome stuff, and I use it regularly with all of my gardenjing, including cannabis, providing the salt content isn't too great) is offensive when used to such a degree that the cabage, broccoli, and many other plants/produce taste like fish fert.

That, and the omega-3's sourced via fish products in the organic whole milk, leaving a very subtle fish flavor in the milk. Seriously.

I like fish, and I like milk on occasion (though it tends to be high in carbohydrates), but the flavor of a 'fish milkshake' is one I haven't been able to find an affinity for. Not at all. Maybe better refining of the fish-sourced omegas is in order?

Meanwhile, I phoned around for fresh frozen duck this AM; poultry good, red meat bad kinda' thinking. Fred Meyer (Kroger) hasn't been able to get any in for close to 2 years, despite ordering it routinely. Safeway said about 3 years since they'd seen any to report about, and 4 years for fresh frozen whole goose. A little known supply chain issue, I guess?

Wholesale restaurant outlet in town has cases of 6 whole fresh frozen ducks at about 5 lbs. per duck (~30-lbs./case), for about $5.43/lb., or $162/case. But do I want 6 whole ducks in the freezer if the future seems uncertain, and my wife doesn't care all that much for duck? Not exactly the kinds of questions that keep most people up at night.

Last edited:

moose eater

ate at a new McDs once nearby for breakfast . (yeah, i know...) the gravy on the biscuit tasted exactly like my imagination said a "fish milkshake" would taste. :covereyes:
I suspect in a burger, between sesame seed buns, with tartar sauce, a slice of tomato, lettuce, and maybe some cheese, that gravy might take on a whole new, more appealing aura, no? Same for that fish milkshake flavor. Just gotta' figure out how to keep the milk and gravy from running out from between the buns.

Last edited:

moose eater

and rhubarb and asparagus! can't leave them off the list...
Grilled seasoned asparagus? Incredible stuff. Though fresh baby fiddlehead ferns steamed with butter and sea salt give it a run for its money.

And rhubarb, with effort, good pastry dough, heavy cream, and maple syrup, can be made into some incredible dumplings, especially with a bit of apple, and using sweeter apples rather than granny smiths.

But then, anything can be repaired or made palatable with maple syrup. I suspect dog turds with maple syrup might even catch on.

Last edited:

moose eater

dogs eat cat shit straight up, maple syrup is gilding the lily...
We have a quasi-rescue pup here now; have had her for going on a decade. Another Norwegian Elkhound.

She came from 2 different settings where, for different reasons, she was often without proper diet.

While many dogs will eat their own scat or the scat of another, she was COMPULSIVE about it. A hard-core learned behavior. C-O-M-P-U-L-S-I-V-E!!!

Took a -long- time to train her to not have that as her go-to appeasement for 'snacking' when on a walk, etc.

And we feed high-end, good quality food to our pups. The GSD's currenlty eating chow that I joke about with my wife, saying that if we go broke or have to make a run for it, we can share the GSD's dry chow (Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy with Lamb, Lamb Meal and Brown Rice; really good stuff!!).

Last edited: