What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Patent Wars

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have spent many years researching patents for one reason or another and practically speaking, in today's world, patents are pretty useless. For a number of reasons.

One being that technology changes things so fast that many patents are outdated before they even expire.

And, again because of today's technology, there are usually many ways to achieve the same goal. e.g. Once concentrates became popular, there evolved many ways to make them.

And, even small variances in design or performance will circumvent patent infringement.

And, finally, patent suits can be (and usually are) very expensive. If Monsanto or some big firm decides to steal some little guys patent, there's not much he's going to be able to do about it. The big firm's legal department would swallow him like like a fish eats a bug.

Roger Adams patented the isolation of cannabbidiol from hemp back in 1942. Didn't seem to make him rich. LOL

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid=02304669&homeurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fnph-Parser%3FSect2%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%2526d%3DPALL%2526S1%3D2304669.PN.%2526OS%3DPN%2F2304669%2526RS%3DPN%2F2304669&PageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

I wonder why he calls it "red oil". Does the extraction from hemp come out red? Or, maybe it was his process. Pretty neat reading.

Remember to remove the 's' from https. Does this forum have an admin? Why doesn't he fix that?

For anyone who was too lazy or didn't know how to chase down this patent, here's the img.

EDIT: Damn, the forum re-sized it. You can almost read it. LMAO I'll work on it. LOL

View Image

Not giving much away on that first page, which obfuscates their actual process. Perhaps a forum member with a chemistry degree could sort it out and comment.

Here's a link to a nice crisp read of the whole patent referenced,

https://www.google.com/patents/US2304669

The isolation of cannabidiol from red oil obtained from hemp is described in detail in J. A. C. S. 62, 196 (1940). This process which includes the treatment of purified red oil with 3,5- dinitrobenzoyl chloride and the formation of cannabidiol bis-3,5-dinitrobenzoate has been found of particular value for the isolation of the desired product. Ammonolysis of the benzoate, i. e., diester, yields cannabidiol in pure form. This process forms the subject matter of my co-pending application Serial No. 352,931.

It will be obvious to those skilled in the art that the present invention is directed to the treatment of red oil (obtained from hemp and preferably American hemp) as well as the treatment of isolated cannabidiol. For example, a product of increased activity or potency may be obtained by treating purified red oil obtained from Minnesota wild hemp so as to isomerize the cannabidiol contained therein to tetrahydro cannabinol. It will also be understood by those skilled in the art that the present invention is not limited to any particular acid isomerizing agent or process, the processes of Example I being merely illustrative. Any treatment or agent of the type described which will change cannabidiol to tetrahydro cannabinol, i. e., form the center cycle or pyran ring, is included within the scope of the present invention.

The products of the present invention have utility in the therapeutic field, as, for example, in the treatment of dope addicts and alcoholics. A specific use is to eliminate or ameliorate the withdrawal symptoms experienced in the treatment of opiate derivative addictions.

https://www.google.com/patents/US24...=0ahUKEwjEu8Hu5vvXAhVW9mMKHTpaDlc4HhDoAQg0MAI

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(US Attorney General Jeff Sessions) Look, there is this view marijuana is harmless and it does no damage….. Marijuana is not a healthy substance, in my opinion, the American Medical Association is crystal clear on that, do you believe that?

(intern) Uh, I — I don’t.

(US Attorney General Jeff Sessions) Okay, so, Doctor whatever you’re name is, so you can write the AMA and see why they think otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52r-BQAQa_0

Doctor Roger Adams opinion as expressed in the previous post is my response Mr. Sessions.

Roger Adams (January 2, 1889 – July 6, 1971) was an American organic chemist. He is best known for the eponymous Adams' catalyst, and his work did much to determine the composition of naturally occurring substances such as complex vegetable oils and plant alkaloids. As the Department Head of Chemistry at the University of Illinois from 1926 to 1954, he also greatly influenced graduate education in America, taught over 250 Ph.D. students and postgraduate students, and served the U.S. as a scientist at the highest levels during World War I and World War II.

Many believed that Adams was the leading organic chemist in the United States...

Because of Adams significant contribution to the field, in 1959, the Roger Adams Award was established as an ACS National Award to recognize outstanding contributions to the field of organic chemistry. The award is given every other year where the award address is provided at the National Organic Chemistry Symposium, which is organized by the ACS Division of Organic Chemistry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Adams

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.55.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.55.21 PM.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.56.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.56.59 PM.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.49.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.49.05 PM.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 1.01.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 1.01.45 PM.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.45.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.45.21 PM.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.49.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 12.49.45 PM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bump!

No patent holders have bellied up to the bar and presented their case thus far.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No response either here or at ICM forum since 11-22-2017 from the three patent claimants. Did I make a mistake posting the evidence against you up front?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m pretty sure you can be confident that this will never be taken to court.

At least as long as you keep giving these folks the hell they deserve.

Kankakee

But may be in another forum thread / ( not Concentrates ) , sorry off topic did not see this originated in concentrate ~

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m pretty sure you can be confident that this will never be taken to court.

At least as long as you keep giving these folks the hell they deserve.

I've been confident enough to repeatedly tell them to take their best shot, with zero follow through.

I also promised the Willamette Week editor to flaunt it in their face for 30 days, which is coming up soon. Seemingly they are only capable of character assassination on public media, but not capable of facts supporting any of it.

Here is their chance for a fair even review, if that meets their needs and serves their agenda.

Truth is shorter than fiction.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Give it up, bud. Nobody's coming to the party. LOL

Alas, seemingly that is true.

12-22-2017

Wal hush mah mouth, no takers on the Patent War challenge to put up or shut up, and it has now been a full month since I posted it, soooo I infer there will be no response and will stop beating this dead horse. Thank ya'll three for demonstrating my point for me.

Since no evidence was submitted to the contrary, I continue to believe that no one has a patent that covers the process, only small unique features, and that a challenge in court would overturn any claiming domination.

http://thealchemistresource.thealchemistresource.com/

Alas, seemingly that is true.

12-22-2017

Wal hush mah mouth, no takers on the Patent War challenge to put up or shut up, and it has now been a full month since I posted it, soooo I infer there will be no response and will stop beating this dead horse.
No keeping beating that horse but just give it a good whack once a month.

Silversouth

I am trying to access the Alchemist Resource site and have followed the instruction of removing the secure "S" in the address. It still sends me to a page that says I have to be an invited guest to access the page and I should contact the blog author and request an invite. Not sure what I am doing wrong...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When did this happen GW?
I cannot access TheAlchemistResource either. (From a previous bookmark)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am trying to access the Alchemist Resource site and have followed the instruction of removing the secure "S" in the address. It still sends me to a page that says I have to be an invited guest to access the page and I should contact the blog author and request an invite. Not sure what I am doing wrong...

I experience the same thing, first a screen asking me to log in with my Google account, and then a screen stating it's an invite only site.

For a few weeks before this you could go to the site, but there was a message with an apology for the site being down.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Typical of Drew's BS, and says more about him than me. On the other hand, why would we expect that he would change now?

The truth is that there is no 8 page document and no patent suits in progress.

This is however a perfect example of the length and outrageous BS that the con men flocking to our industry are willing to go to to defraud us.

Not just a difference in opinion regarding facts, but lies out of whole cloth. Sadly Drew is but one example of many now plaguing us like flies.

Also a perfect example of lying so much that you start to believe your own shit and forget that untrue harmful statements are slander.

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
People are awarded patents all the time that are eventually thrown out because of existing prior art. This is done by a judge often after the patent holder sues someone for infringement. Patent trolls (people that threaten to sue unless licensing fees are paid) with weak underlying "inventions" are scared to go all the way to judgement in fear of losing their golden goose. Novel inventions can withstand the scrutiny and deserve to have their rights protected. Like I previously mentioned, contact the EFF because internet prior art and open source is part of their ethos.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

pharmer_joeoakes@mrextractor You make lots of claims here without any evidence. Hope you are ready to defend them in court. Screenshots of your defamation have been forwarded to our legal counsel. The reason you've only made public infringement claims and never sued is; your patent would be invalidated if you did. There is so much prior art on butane extraction that you couldnt possibly defend your IP in court. Hence you cry foul online but you are too much of a coward to debate the facts with GW on ICMAG.

Latest posts

Latest posts