What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happiness is..... a good book

cyat

Veteran
siddartha by herman hesse..... the teachings of don juan by carlos castenada( whole series )... jesus lived in india by? meetings with remarkable men by gurdjieff

wizard of earthsea by ursula le guin

B

Baron Greenback

Mr vertigo - Paul Auster. A great story.
I also really liked Carter beats the devil by Glenn David Gold.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
:tiphat:

is Kurt Vonnegut still alive and writing?
Breakfast of Champions, Player Piano and Galapagos were some of my favourites from him.

i always look out for a new release from Tom Robbins.
we seem to have a similar humour.
'Even Cowgirls Get the Blues' was an eye opening book for me as a young woman.:)

topical for 'Top Gear' Fans
a British Car Culture tv show hosted by 3 car freaks, one of them being.......

Jeremy Clarkson-'The World According to Clarkson'

he was recently fired from the BBC's Top Gear for
verbally abusing one of the production staff

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vonnegut is not alive sadly. He died in 2007.
Breakfast of champions was a fun read. I really liked timequake as well. Still have to finish a few more of his novels including Galapagos and cat's cradle.

rod58

i love most books , especially epics , james micheners "alaska" as an example and also auto biographies of sportsmen , cricketer , rugby and motor racing legends ..a sad world without !

W

WeetisPotPie

I am very fortunate, I am in my mid 40's and have 2 young daughters, 5-6 years old. I read to them every night and it has become something I look forward too. We are just starting the Guardian series by William Joyce and it is an outstanding series. I am enjoying them as much as the kids.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
yes, kids books are amazing.
there can be so many life lessons packed into 20 or 30 pages.
pretty cool illustrators too.
:artist:

my favourite is Dr. Suess-
cat in the hat,
lorax,
one fish two fish

i still am facinated by pop up books!

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Happiness is a good book, reading in the garden at the first warm day here. In my case it just was Stephen King with "Cell". :tiphat:

furrywall11

I'm digging audio books right now... I live way out in the boonies and find myself driving into town for business or errands quite often...the whole ride is story time now. ;)

The Lies of Locke Lamora... There are two books out now and five or so more on the way. Fantasy/Sci fi. A thieves guild in a beautifully crafted world based on Venice..Counts and Contessas....The dialogue is amazing and the narrator does impressions.

If you want to pick up a real paper book try The Fan Man or Confederacy of Dunces. Two great subversive books from the 60's.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
an audio book is always a good 'road trip' accessory.
they keep your mind from wandering off and hopefully your auto too.

lots of good suggestions for summer reading. i have a xmas gift certificate to a local
book store and i now have a few things to check out.:tiphat:

i am now just finishing up reading David Sedaris - 'let's explore diabetes with owls'.
he writes short stories in a comedic style.
other good books from him are Santaland Diaries, Barrel Fever and Me Talk Pretty One Day.

i am now appreciating how hard it is to project humour with the written word. (see Flirting for Beginnners...lol)
jokes are all about timing and emphasis on word play.

kaochiu

Veteran
Nice thread Jahnice. I loved your dlplomatic remark on Jeremy Clarkson, "verbally abusing", sort of an euphemism for a punch in the mouth, as it happened. As you reccomended JC biography, it reminded me of "Stick Up Your Punter", which is just about how "The Sun" works.
As biographies go, the one in the photo is like Mr. Nice grandpa.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 43

al70

Veteran
The best book �� I ever read was THE CINDERELLA MAN, bout the boxer, I was in prison n I had no TV, an incredible story, much better than the movie

W

wodi

Into the wild, walking free, for biography . For agricultural, Albrecht's foundation concepts.

J.V

ICMag Donor
Always liked reading Wilbur Smith....Particularly his older stuff, Books like River God.....Sun Bird,....A Time To Die....Triumph Of The Sun.

Read the Starbuck series by Bernard Cornwell a good year ago...A really good series...Cornwells attention to detail is second to none...
He brings history to life...Bye the way, The Starbuck series is not a
sci-fi story. It's based during the American Civil war.....Basically a
young northern man, fighting for the south...

Last edited:

vostok

Veteran
Someone mentioned this might be a good read..?
51FQ23dmyFL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brown Bread Fred Hardcover – 31 Oct 2007 by Freddie Foreman

To Britain's criminal underworld, Freddie Foreman is the Godfather. Responsible for the gangland killings of Ginger Marks and Frank 'The Mad Axeman' Mitchell, he was the punisher to those who broke the underworld's strict code of conduct. Foreman's dramatic kidnap and arrest for Britain's biggest cash robbery made headlines around the world, yet this daring raid was just the peak of a safe-blowing, bank-robbing career that had spanned decades. His story is a fascinating, yet chilling account of life as a freelance enforcer for the Kray twins, and as London's most feared gangster. But bloodshed aside, Freddie's often humourous stories reveal a caring man, one who treated even tied-up security guards with reverence. Giving one cigarettes as he emptied a safe, Freddie believes violence was always a last resort and treated people with respect. Revealed in these pages are the amazing details of the heists, the double crossings, the shootouts and the betrayals that accompanied life as a career criminal £4.73

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brown-Bread-Fred-Freddie-Foreman/dp/1844544834

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Nice thread Jahnice. I loved your dlplomatic remark on Jeremy Clarkson, "verbally abusing", sort of an euphemism for a punch in the mouth...

As biographies go, the one in the photo is like Mr. Nice grandpa.

What exactly was the punch about? A steak or something?
Sounds like 'coke rage' to me...Stars...
or just a 'diva moment'

'Pearls and hash' looks like an interesting biography but I can't read the authors name.

You reminded me of the Mr. Nice bio
Loved it and loved the film too...
But the book i want to read is from 'MRS. Nice'
I bet she has lots of good stories. Lol

Latest posts

Latest posts