What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Light Manufacturers

All I know is that with the exception of less than 5 brands of which I'm aware all LEDs are Chinese made. A company in the States gives them a ratio of colours for the diodes, a certain amount of power output/usage and picks a pre-stamped LED shell usually including the heatsink and that's as far as the US or Canadian side of things go really. It's like calling to complain about your phone bill. You call a local/national company and end up speaking o someone in Mumbai. It's just outsourced manufacture as opposed to labour and it's a sign that 95% of the entire LED growlight market has been hijacked by profiteers and modern day snake oil sellers who don't care about their reputations, only the dollar signs. If a company spends a shitlaod on a flashy site and marketing like these 357 maggots your pretty much guaranteed to be funding their marketing if you buy their product when you should be funding research and development. I should have really looked at this a lot closer before spending my money. The only one's willing to risk their $ investing in developing this technology are the one's who are pass their costs on in an honest but painful on the wallet fashion, like Lumigrow. I have found through spending a couple of K over the past few years that there is no real middle ground. There's high end "real" companies willing to stake everything they have on their product and then there's low end, which is basically everyone else. In no other part of the grow market is the saying "you get what you pay for" more realistically represented tha when you invest in an LED growlight. I have learned my lesson, if you want to get a decent, well researched and developed LED with anywhere around the 300W output which should really be the minimum IMO you're going to shell out at least a grand and it's going to be US made. You should also spend at least 3-5 months watching the progress of a grower you know isn't a bullshit artist and how they are finding their light-if you can find one. The market is of course changing but as long as people are going to be sucked in to spending cash on flashy, mass produced Chinese junk that only serves to fund greed and marketing campaigns it will continue to have a high element of shadyness to it. It really is a shame as we're not all commercial growers with a few thousand to throw around on 'test' products and these pricks behind the scams are driving people away from a more earth friendly and efficient technology than the one which is most commonly used. If this weren't such a promising technology these assholes could have killed the market and the tech in their never ending cash grab but luckily there are small pockets who will keep the fires burning. Until these small fires of decency become an inferno and consume the scum in their wake I can only pray that other people who are less well off than I won't fall into the trap I did. I sincerely hope anybody thinking of purchasing an LED reads this cautionary tale. I love the technology and it's potential but despise the poeple who have taken that potential and have only sought to utilise it to fund their next luxury car purchase. The world truly is a cold and fucked up place.

Green Fool

Hi all,

first post here. I have ordered one of those new Generation X lights and are waiting for it to be shipped. Jumped on the pre-ordering train to save some bugs. I know that they are manufactured in China but this does not mean to me that the they are crap. I found, that on the sellers website was everything well explained about the components they use and also why. I have absolutely no experience with LED lights but decided for one of those. I have to see it for myself, but i am a kind of nervous so to say.
If that thing does not hold up to what it promises, i can only blame myself....

peace

:tiphat:

which gen X light are you referring to? the long one's that aren't in the usual panel form? How much did it cost and what is the output etc.?

Jacky_Brown

img0007bu.jpg

Ledgrow.se seems to work good!

Addicted2grow hiting almost 1,3g/w in soil with only 3 plants.. see the thread here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=185111

The colas look fat also!

alkalien

I just want to add that you can get panels from varios chinese manufacturers from made-in-china.com. You can get all kinds of qualities from china, just ask them a few questions and you'll see they usually know what they are talking about, they will even use the colours you want them to.

Just keep in mind, they will try to get it done cheap, that's what they do. If they have to decide whether to make it good or cheap, they will go for cheap. You can get high quality from china, they are able to produce excellent products, but you will have to watch every decision they make and you will have to test and send back quite a few units before you get what you want.

I'm pretty sure that's what companies call "developed" by them selfs, the chinese will allways send you the cheapest thing they think serves your purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I admire how they became the worlds production hall! We shouldn't complain about those cheap products, they only deliver what we request...

Green Fool

Hi again

With gen X i am referring to the new Penetrator X fom Hydro Grow LED with extreme X-lens technologie.
Those lights are not availible yet since shipping has started on 15th of august. These lights are availible in different shapes and watt configurations. As well with 1 or 3 Watt LEDs.
I did chose the the 84X with 1watt leds, since this light is best suited for the new space i have designed. very pricey (429 Dollars).
This light i could not find on this chinese manufacturers website u have mentioned before.
How i understand HGLs website, are those lights designed in the US but only fabricated over there and exclusively sold by HGL. All in all this new technologie sounds promising to
me and i took a chance. Maybe i am wrong. Cant wait to test it.
Hope this helps

peace

the light I am talking about needs to be requested at the site. I bought one but have sent it back as they sent me a 126 instead of a 378 and pissed me off with excuses.

Exactly the same product. Even asked for a few sets of lenses to play around with and as you can see they obliged. They have been hassling me to take another light (which I guarantee they would have overpowered! oh well, too late) but I had already explained to them I needed it quickly and couldn't wait and am awaiting a paypal refund. They sell the 378W for AUS$450, not bad if you ask me but they really screwed up with they're customer service so it's too late now. I'm the fool, stuck with a 357 now which is pretty weak, actually really weak. Live and learn. Take a good look though... even the packaging it arrives in is identical to HGL lights boxes. I hope the HGL stickers are worth the extra few hundred because I hear they have customer service about as useful and reliable as the crap I get served from 357. I paid for the 357 expecting service and they didn't even meet expectations on that level so I'm against anyone wasting their hard earned on these lights. Save your money, grab a lumigrow, spectra or the new Blackstars. I know the Blackstars are Chinese made aswell but they at least reply to your emails if theres any issues.

Green Fool

Mountain Monkey,

i understand your disappointment. Those 126/378 Watt Penetrator lights have the same casing. Just that the 126 is driven by 1watt and the 378 by 3 watt Leds.
The low power consumption by the 378 Watt light is because they operate at only 50% or so, but this is all explained on their website. What i did not understand is where did you order your light, at HGL or in China?
On the other hand i have seen good results and reviews here with those Penetrators. I absolutely believe you and still dont understand why some growers are happy with them and some are screwed. I have to find out myself, no other way i think...

peace

I visited Eshinesystems as stated, asked for their entire catalogue of lights and these were on the PDF I was sent. One grower here has already bought 2 lights from them and is very happy to have bought the 2 for the price of 1 of HGL's and they are what floats his/her boat so I'm happy for that individual especially as I put him onto them, saving him $$$. I just had a disagreement with them which escalated into a total shitstorm. I don't like being lied in general but to have equipment to test power usage and pics and still be told "your wrong!" really pissed me off. I even got an admission out of them that a youg staff member may well have done the switch to earn a lousy 3bucks in extra commision. Times must be hard. Anyway I really like their lights as far as build quality etc. goes they shit all over the 357 I have now but I can't return the thing so I'm stuck with it. I even thought of asking my little bro to help me open the 378W and change the drivers so I could pull close to full output from it and just upgrade cooling but it's too late for that. I'm thinking of doing it once my (worthless) 357 warranty runs out it doesn't make full use of the entire panel so adding a new set of LEDs and another driver could be fun, go with Cree or something really good and I'll be able to use a few 5W diodes just for shit n giggles aswell. Thee is so much empty space inside the 357 bodies that it would be easy to do and even maybe look at urgrading the heatsink if need be, whatever I don't know how these things work but my little brother on the other hand... If you want I could contact the person who bought 2 of these lights and ask if they would confirm it took place for you if you are thinking of getting one. Or even upload the PDF once I find it, the thing is they will drop a hundred off their prices if you push hard so your actually getting the product at less than half HGL prices. If you like them go ahead, I wouldn't but that's because they left a shit-like taste in my mouth which seems to come up whenever I think of them. I can't wait until Lumigrow eventually brings down the price of their 330 or even release a 600 and make the 330 their mid-range and drop the price. I would grab one in a second if that happened.

Green Fool

Hi MM,

thank you for offering assistance, but i dont want the same thing happen to me what happen to you. Therefore i dont want to order from eshinesystems.
I have ordered my light already and paid for it. But this light is completely different to yours, X lense technologie, square design, new silent fan and other things. As far as i know no one has them yet, since this is brand new technologie and design.
Check out HGLs website and see for yourself. I realy dont know what these lights will do, but i have hopes. There are no reports or reviews on the forums yet because they are not released. So someone has to be the first ...

peace

I was under the impression that the square one's were the older design, in fact I'm pretty sure that's the case. Anyways, that's of no real concern here. Good on you for sticking to your plan and not being talked out of it or scared out of it. It takes balls to stick to what you know is good for you and don't let anyone tell you you can't do this or that. Listen to that little voice inside and you'll be fine more often than not. I know my posts might contradict ot some degree what I just said but it's a fine balancing act, warning others of the pitfalls of something/advising them to stay away on one hand and then on the other hand encouraging people not to let others conduct their lives for them. They are both principles I try to practice in life, encouraging others to voice their true voice, unfiltered so to speak and warning others not to fall where I have fallen, warning fellow travellers of holes in the road so to speak and in this case they collided somewhat. I'm happy for you though, honestly. If you find merit in the object and value it then that's yours and nobody can take it away from you. That is why I always try not to troll or flame individuals for their opinions but I will flame company's who deal with me in shady manner as I believe doing so may well contribute to them cleaning up their act and then other growers will benefit from that. I hope you have many a good grow with that LED!

Last edited by a moderator:

houndog

how about Guru

how about Guru

Have you heard of Guru Grow Lights LED, I was wondering if they are a decent light, anyone know? I believe they are out of Canada, to some extent.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Would you guys say in general it is worth looking for the ones assembled in the USA, or is that no guarantee of quality?

I'm just shopping for a couple dinky 90W UFOs, but still....

Hey Zym, theres some pretty sweet 145W UFO's making it around these days. 45x3W and they pull about 120-125W which is very respectable, I bet a duo of those would really make some buds come to life. Even one single would be nice for a small, enclosed area coupled with some fluoro light. I have used old shitty 90W UFOs (really primitive design about 3 years old) hung almost vert on either side of a plant (LegendUltimateIndica) and had awesome results. Imagine using the same method to grow something a little less dense... I can see chunky buds and nice yields per/W for sure.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
no experience, but they look pretty sweet. adjustable blue and red ranges...

I just checked that sights lights and it seems they are also Chinese Eshinesystems lights or at least their top of the line "Diamond line" are. It's funny how HGL claim they have this special x-lens technology and then it just happens to pop up on these Advanced LEDs aswell and they even share a shell or 2. The only thing I can see that's different is the Advanced lights are all exactly the same as Eshine's line whereas HGL use a couple of Eshine's lights. I really do feel for the folks paying $1500 for the things as they will charge $450 at Eshine and that's including shipping, the lights from Eshine aren't just the same shell as some may argue either as I know someone who is using 2 of them and says they are the same as his HGLs he has, just cost a lot less. I have said it before, I returned the Eshine as they told me the light drew 378W and I was given a 126 instead I suspect but they were actually well built lights but nothing close to the real U.S made stuff. Having said that, the Chinese are probably only around 12-18mths away from producing a real alternative to the U.S made stuff in that they will have something out that is really effective and built well for a good price. I've spoken to some sellers who have actually said to wait for their new lights to come out instead of hard selling whatever it was they had in stock. I was shocked quite frankly. It appears some of the better producers of LEDs are realising they can take what they have learned from making lights for all these U.S and Canadian on-sellers and utilise it themselves, polish up on their customer service and steal half the market. Of course this is all speculation but I have based it on what I have experienced talking to some of these manufacturers, all of them Shenzhen based. In that 12-18mth period however I assume Lumigrow will have released a couple of new units that will make the other stuff available look like those open/closed signs that flicker away in the front window of cheap cafe's. I'm still unhappy about the customer service offered by the makers of the 357magnum I bought but I have to say the light has easily surpassed all expectations I had and is actually a really efficient unit that I'm starting to warm to. It appears the use of decent quality growing kit has seen them skip on the build quality though and until a few days ago all I could smell was burnt glue from the front of the unit where it appears the LED array is glued into place. If that isn't the case then they have used silicon for something in the build and its visible in blots and chunks all around the outer area of the array, in short it's not up to scratch for a $700 unit. I'd prefer that to bad performance though and I can't fault the light on it's growing results so far so I'm going to just have to live with it, I've had more than enough of a sook about it that's for sure. I'd still love to see what BlackStar's new lights are like as they are easily the best priced lights I know of that people rate as good kit and compare well to similar spec'd lights costing almost double...

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Just FTR: I bought a couple of the 62w Hydro-gal units.....
Yes, I know there was a bunch of drama relating to her and the company.....don't have much to say about that....but I can tell you reliably that they've beefed up my crops considerably.
I still don't think I'd be comfortable eliminating my traditional HPS lights, but as it says in my signature "Augmented by LED" means precisely that. I've got to keep the watts and heat down......those lights did the trick.
Anyway, that's my .02. Take it, leave it...whatever floats your boat.
I'd not hesitate to purchase more and continue to use them in the same capacity.
BTW: They rock on veg. and clones for sure.....got one on top o' my EZ Cloner sharing space with the vegging moms.
The others are surrounding the flowering area vertically. Works like a charm. :)

cjk

I just checked that sights lights and it seems they are also Chinese Eshinesystems lights or at least their top of the line "Diamond line" are. It's funny how HGL claim they have this special x-lens technology and then it just happens to pop up on these Advanced LEDs aswell and they even share a shell or 2. The only thing I can see that's different is the Advanced lights are all exactly the same as Eshine's line whereas HGL use a couple of Eshine's lights. I really do feel for the folks paying $1500 for the things as they will charge $450 at Eshine and that's including shipping, the lights from Eshine aren't just the same shell as some may argue either as I know someone who is using 2 of them and says they are the same as his HGLs he has, just cost a lot less. I have said it before, I returned the Eshine as they told me the light drew 378W and I was given a 126 instead I suspect but they were actually well built lights but nothing close to the real U.S made stuff. Having said that, the Chinese are probably only around 12-18mths away from producing a real alternative to the U.S made stuff in that they will have something out that is really effective and built well for a good price. I've spoken to some sellers who have actually said to wait for their new lights to come out instead of hard selling whatever it was they had in stock. I was shocked quite frankly. It appears some of the better producers of LEDs are realising they can take what they have learned from making lights for all these U.S and Canadian on-sellers and utilise it themselves, polish up on their customer service and steal half the market. Of course this is all speculation but I have based it on what I have experienced talking to some of these manufacturers, all of them Shenzhen based. In that 12-18mth period however I assume Lumigrow will have released a couple of new units that will make the other stuff available look like those open/closed signs that flicker away in the front window of cheap cafe's. I'm still unhappy about the customer service offered by the makers of the 357magnum I bought but I have to say the light has easily surpassed all expectations I had and is actually a really efficient unit that I'm starting to warm to. It appears the use of decent quality growing kit has seen them skip on the build quality though and until a few days ago all I could smell was burnt glue from the front of the unit where it appears the LED array is glued into place. If that isn't the case then they have used silicon for something in the build and its visible in blots and chunks all around the outer area of the array, in short it's not up to scratch for a $700 unit. I'd prefer that to bad performance though and I can't fault the light on it's growing results so far so I'm going to just have to live with it, I've had more than enough of a sook about it that's for sure. I'd still love to see what BlackStar's new lights are like as they are easily the best priced lights I know of that people rate as good kit and compare well to similar spec'd lights costing almost double...

i know you say that the lights are the same but hgl pull advertised wattage where as yours didn't. there has to be a difference...

Latest posts

Latest posts