Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Thrips or/and something else ?

Thread Title Search
Thrips or/and something else ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2020, 12:38 AM #1
John LOQUE

John LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the rough
Thrips or/and something else ?

Hey guys,
the floor of my grow tent is full of very small balls of green shit (i suppose) and some leaves have the thrips symptoms. According to the damages on the leaves, they are not many, but the floor is getting dirty very fast. In 1 night, full of shit, and everywhere. I found nothing under the leaves.
Second, I found eaten leaves, and little green debris of leaves amongst the little balls, so that's not thrips and i saw 2 little green caterpillars. So green, you can't see them by the color.
So is it just caterpillar shit on the floor? Do they shit so much?

I had thrips in the past, i know that they are dirty, but i don't remember their shit color...

Have you got an idea?

Great thanks

Old 08-26-2020, 12:57 PM #2
buzzmobile

buzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond repute
Thrips leave behind black specks/globs of poop aka frass. The green balls you describe are most likely from the caterpillars. Spinosad will control both thrips and caterpillars.

Thrip frass

Caterpillar frass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frass.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	545675 Click image for larger version

Name:	frass2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	545676

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:13 PM #3
John LOQUE

John LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmobile View Post
Thrips leave behind black specks/globs of poop aka frass. The green balls you describe are most likely from the caterpillars. Spinosad will control both thrips and caterpillars.

Thrip frass
View Image

Caterpillar frass
View Image
Great thank, caterpillar must be king shitter, because lots of frass. I have treated the plants 2 days ago and today almost no frass.

So it comes from a butterfly...but which one? Difficult to answer...

Old 08-26-2020, 10:02 PM #4
buzzmobile

buzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond reputebuzzmobile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by John LOQUE View Post
So it comes from a butterfly...but which one? Difficult to answer...
Might be a moth.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:56 PM #5
John LOQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmobile View Post
Might be a moth.
Okaaay ! I had noticed some small moths and for me they were not enemies...
Anyway i decided to buy some sticky yellow traps to hang in the grow room and tents.
I have also cockroaches with red hues, they like the tents, i wonder what do they eat, but they don't damage the weed. They like drawning in the water from the dehumidifier and i don't know how to get rid of them. I kill five a day in average. No real infestation, they are just there...
Thanks for your feedback

Edit : it seems that moths have white larvae, a green caterpillar like i saw, very uniform green, could be a defoliant noctuelle. I killed just now a little moth or butterfly (2 cm long). Very similar to a moth for me, or night butterfly. Small. The caterpillar were 2 cm long also.

I saw (and killed) a thrip. So they are not dead, shit!

Last edited by John LOQUE; 08-27-2020 at 01:17 AM..
John LOQUE is offline Quote

Old 08-29-2020, 12:18 AM #6
John LOQUE

Here is one caterpillar i found dying on a branch. I found 2 dead on the floor but they were greener, maybe not the same. Total in found 5 of those...But if you see the number of frass by square centimeter, they were sure more than 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200829_000343.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	545832 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200829_000031.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	545833

Old 08-29-2020, 12:19 PM #7
buzzmobile

Caterpillars are eating machines. Tomato hornworm caterpillars can erase a tomato plant overnight. Keep searching for those greenies.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:26 PM #8
John LOQUE

They are very difficult to spot because of their color. And hard to poison i find. Thrips are dead, but those are still eating...I killed the butterfly, nothing is flying down there...

Old 08-29-2020, 07:38 PM #9
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Those dainty little white moths are the ones laying eggs on plants. Get them while they are in motion!!

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 08-29-2020, 10:56 PM #10
buzzmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LOQUE View Post
They are very difficult to spot because of their color. And hard to poison i find.
Spinosad should take care of the caterpillars. If not use Bacillus thuringiensis.