Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Cigar box for buds

Thread Title Search
Cigar box for buds Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 AM #1
John LOQUE

John LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the rough
Cigar box for buds

Hi smokers,
i live in a new house near the coast, and the air is not as dry as i used to know, and for drying buds it's not that easy.
Most of the drying process is OK, but my buds are never really dry. I mean when it rains, a dry bud can become soft and not brittle enough to grind it with my fingers as i did before this place.
So i'm looking for a solution, and i thought about cigar box with hygrometer, but the cigar box is intended to keep cigars not too dry, isn't it?
So a reverse cigar box, does it exist?
Hygrostat's seem to be big to go in a little box, no?
Thanks

Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 AM #2
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivorAgentPothead is a survivor
A humidor keeps cigars I think in the 70% humidity range, which is too high for marijuana. There are tons of companies who make like "dryer packs" to put with your herb. Boveda & Integra are 2 of the larger companies, but they all basically use a water & salt solution to maintain a humidity. And you are looking for a humidity controlled cabinet, but most of them are made for specialized purposes so you get charged an arm and a leg. I wouldn't think it would be super hard to make one using temperature and humidity sensors.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 AM #3
Lrus007

Lrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond reputeLrus007 has a reputation beyond repute
a cigar humidor would work. just do not add water to the water part.
then you could get some silica to put into box. that will keep it dry.
drawback is the cedar in the box will flavor your weed. so you could
get a nice plastic tub and some silica for it. then your pot will be dry.
good luck Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

People are born with the instinct to fight against their own death, to struggle with their last breath against even the most unavoidable and uncompromising ends.

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is online now Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM #4
prune

prune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to allprune is a name known to all
Those humidity bags work much better at adding humidity, they don't work as well at drawing moisture from air, especially if you're drying instead of curing.

The only real solution is a de-humidifier, but that's a whole other can of worms...
prune is offline Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 04:56 PM #5
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivorSwitcher56 is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrus007 View Post
a cigar humidor would work. just do not add water to the water part.
then you could get some silica to put into box. that will keep it dry.
drawback is the cedar in the box will flavor your weed. so you could
get a nice plastic tub and some silica for it. then your pot will be dry.
good luck Lrus007
Being an ex-cigar Aficionado, that could be interesting, just like I like a touch of oak on the palet with my Cabernet

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
but be prepared for the worst.

I don't want you to trust me. I want you to doubt me.
I want you to question me. I want you to look at the facts! ~ Snowden

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding.
The highest form of knowledge is Empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world" ~ Bill Bullard

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 PM #6
Amynamous

Amynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivorAmynamous is a survivor
I have the opposite problem.
I recently harvested an auto hindu kush and kept the plant whole for drying purposes. I mis-estimated the drying time and it was bone dry in 2 1/2 days(40%RH). I’m considering placing the jar in the sun for a year and turning the whole thing into CBN.

That being said, i would happily dry your herb for you, but don’t hold me responsible if i overshoot to the dry side. haha

You might want ask the question on the florida thread. They deal with high humidity and might have some useful suggestions.
Amynamous is offline Quote

Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM #7
John LOQUE

John LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the roughJohn LOQUE is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amynamous View Post
it was bone dry in 2 1/2 days(40%RH)
Wow!!! Shit!
In the house, the RH is 75% without heater. With heater, i don't know yet.
I run a de-humidifer in the grow room only...

Old 08-13-2020, 09:36 PM #8
Substitute

Substitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura aboutSubstitute has a spectacular aura about
I live next to a lake and the RH is kinda high here as well. I'm used to having dry weed....I hate humid weed. It's probably less potent too. Was thinking about one of those food dehydrators. You could do a quarter pound at a time! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hamilton-beach-food-dehydrator/6000196452504

Last edited by Substitute; 08-13-2020 at 09:58 PM..
Substitute is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2020, 01:22 AM #9
John LOQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substitute View Post
I live next to a lake and the RH is kinda high here as well. I'm used to having dry weed....I hate humid weed. It's probably less potent too. Was thinking about one of those food dehydrators. You could do a quarter pound at a time! https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hamilton-beach-food-dehydrator/6000196452504
Yes it would certainly work, but too powerfull i guess.
I'm thinking about a wood little box with silicate for dried flowers... Reviews are good and they are re usable. Once wet, in the oven and dry again...ready to use.
Tonight i found a toad in my grow room, with de humidifier

Old 08-20-2020, 12:26 AM #10
John LOQUE

My blunt box is nice for the job. I put 10 gr of buds, an hygrometer at 70%, and 50gr of silicate, 24h later, the hygro was at 45% and the weed is dry. I can grind it with my fingers. Better smoke, sure. Now it's raining strong, almost 90% in the house, and the hygro is at 47% in the box. How long will last these 50gr of silicate? I don't know, but i can dry them and re use them later...