Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Trying to pick the best COB. CXB5690 or CXM-22 or what?

Thread Title Search
Trying to pick the best COB. CXB5690 or CXM-22 or what? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM #21
Horselover Fat

Horselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud of
Weird grow space a proper scrog and a diy board or a strip light would be my choice. You could also fit a nice vertical scrog in there, but it would be a lot of work.
Horselover Fat is online now Quote

Old 09-16-2020, 11:13 AM #22
Klompen

Klompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivor
I know its an unusual plan given today's prevailing logic(which I am not sure I agree with), but its what I have space for and it makes one stall per one or two plants. That way I can do autos, photos, or veg without worrying about their neighbors. This is definitely what I am building and its really just a question of what to light it with.

Klompen's Evolving Chaos 2020 Style
Klompen is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:19 AM #23
Horselover Fat

Horselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud ofHorselover Fat has much to be proud of
If you don't want to scrog then vertical strips might be an option to think about.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:46 PM #24
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to beholdSuperBadGrower is a splendid one to behold
PCBuds has a cool micro grow box with top & side lighting. Maybe check out his thread for inspiration.
SuperBadGrower is offline Quote

Old 09-16-2020, 04:06 PM #25
Horselover Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselover Fat View Post
If you don't want to scrog then vertical strips might be an option to think about.
Which was what you were looking for. Short term memory something like these? https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/semiconductors--lighting-solutions--light-engine-led-assemblies--light-engines/bxeb-l0560z-30e2000-c-c3-bridgelux-8115969

Old 09-17-2020, 03:01 AM #26
Klompen

Klompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivorKlompen is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselover Fat View Post
Which was what you were looking for. Short term memory something like these? https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/...dgelux-8115969
Yeah I am looking for something along those lines. Ideally I want something cool enough that the plants can touch it without issues. The space is only 18"wx28"dx72"h, and the plants can easily fill that floor space. Think of it sort of like a vertical scrog with an intense top light.

Its just that using a full sun board or whatever on each side and then have a light on top would add up to a silly amount of wattage for the space. I was considering a very high efficacy 24V tape light to surround the plants. I have seen some that claim 150-160lm/w and they have them in a variety of spectra. Those boards you link to look good too, but can I get them close to the plant?

Klompen is offline Quote

Old 09-17-2020, 09:54 AM #27
Horselover Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klompen View Post
Yeah I am looking for something along those lines. Ideally I want something cool enough that the plants can touch it without issues. The space is only 18"wx28"dx72"h, and the plants can easily fill that floor space. Think of it sort of like a vertical scrog with an intense top light.

Its just that using a full sun board or whatever on each side and then have a light on top would add up to a silly amount of wattage for the space. I was considering a very high efficacy 24V tape light to surround the plants. I have seen some that claim 150-160lm/w and they have them in a variety of spectra. Those boards you link to look good too, but can I get them close to the plant?
The 150lm/w tape should be good if the price is right. I haven't used bridgelux strips, but sure, if you use enough for the light level you want. These are commonly used for diy striplights. I'm using lm301b and my tops are at six inches from my boards now. At that distance I feel slight warmth on the back of my hand. Since dropping my boards down I've touched the diodes a few times accidentally and they weren't hot really. I would not want to touch my vero cobs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200916_115827.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	547658

Old 09-17-2020, 04:12 PM #28
Phagoos

Phagoos will become famous soon enoughPhagoos will become famous soon enough
Even if you can touch the diodes with your hand does not mean the leaves are fine too when touching. The leds I have are only warm to the touch (42-46C) but any leaf touching it will still get white burn marks.
Phagoos is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 PM #29
Horselover Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoos View Post
Even if you can touch the diodes with your hand does not mean the leaves are fine too when touching. The leds I have are only warm to the touch (42-46C) but any leaf touching it will still get white burn marks.
Sure, but the more diffuse the source the closer the leaves can be. Same principle.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:33 PM #30
Klompen

I know it may hurt my PAR rating a bit, but I think I will put a Lexan(non UV-filtering) strip out in front of the strip light to limit how close the plants can get. I am thinking about one of these strips in each corner and high-efficacy tape light on the panel sides where the plants can't help but touch it. I will under-drive all my diodes and cobs to keep temps down and life span up and make them easier to get close to the plants.

With high efficacy diodes and/or COB lights, what do you suppose I should aim for on wattage per foot? I mean, I know it would probably be better to calculate needed PPF using cubic feet, but in simple terms I would like to establish a wattage I am aiming for.

I am kind of leaning toward an under-driven Luminus CXM-32 overhead with those Bridgelux strips in each corner and then high-efficacy tape light for where the plants touch. So maybe 75W over top and 80-100 around the plants? That would make max wattage per square foot around 50-60ish depending on what I get. For all four chambers it will equal about 700W max draw.

Klompen is offline Quote