Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > ICMag 420 Cup > The Dutch Experience > Dutch coffeeshops - post your latest reviews here!

Thread Title Search
Dutch coffeeshops - post your latest reviews here! Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 AM #171
Chevy cHaze
Out Of Dankness Cometh Light

Chevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant futureChevy cHaze has a brilliant future
Amsterdam last week

Mighty quiet here for a bunch of permanent smokers hehehe
WEnt to the DAm last week for a business meeting and headed straight to Katsu to buy some goodies.
I have to say again that Barcelona has overtaken Amsterdam in readily available quality but nonetheless bought some Bio Critical Kush, Mango Haze and a gram of Skittlez (for 20EUR my god).
The critical was not really worth mentioning in either taste or effects departments, the skittlez was unfortunately fake I'm guessing as neither smell nor taste of the original were there, and why else would you buy it in the first place. Said it was a US import, which I highly doubt... The cuttings are over here, why go through the hassle to ship the full product across the big pond...

However, the Mango Haze was once again outstanding and has become my go to weed there. Great fruity taste with some wood and leather and a sublime stress free and no ceiling high. The mediocre other two bags didn't matter after that and lucky I bought a bigger bag.WEll done Katsu.
Best
CC

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 PM #172
NotYourSaviour

NotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really nice
Again that time of the year, we're seemingly unteachable

@Aridbud

Cheers. Agree, Betty Boop was one of the better coffeeshops but Popeye was, is and probably always will be a shithole for some reasons if owned by the same ruthless people. However, hope you can make it back to Nederland one day, enjoy.

@Chevy_cHaze

Cheers for your report! Indeed, quite dead here(wouldn't generalise everyone on here is consuming every day nor all day - there are so many types of consumers, e.g. as much as I like that plant my doctrine is 'everything in moderation and excess every now and then ; routines are just boring mostly) but on the other hand this is more of a grower's forum here(though if I recall many trip reports on here or in general when growers rave about the very average weed in the Netherlands I always wonder what they grow at home).

Said it a thousand times before and probably also in this thread it's not difficult to grow proper gear but what they sell at coffeeshops is mostly commercial schwag nowadays.
Read your post before we went and due to Roxy being a buy and fly place we consumed at Katsu without buying from their menu and so forgot to take a look at the current batch of Mango Haze as I had it a few years ago when it popped up(nice enough back then but not impressive).
Lovely atmosphere in there if often crowdy but rarely buy their products as it seems more about quantity than quality for locals and tourists ; relatively big menu which in my experience is often dissapointing at many shops though their Black Widow ages ago was something.

By the way have been to Spain in 2016 and it's as you stated ; though back then prices started to rise and now it seems to be similar to greedy Netherlands. Sad as this development was forseeable more or less. Time to legalize finally everywhere to get rid of those disgusting gangs involved in both countries and elsewhere ; though I'm sceptical about better prices then as many customers are so used to pay thouse high prices of today, coffeeshops and others really spoilt it.
Though in the end no one is going to prison anymore for consumption, growing and all that then and this is the main point to me.

Old hat!

We happened to be in town last week:

Tweede Kamer: Opted for 'Tangie'(14€/g)from Morocco. Had in general many versions branded that way, especially this year, but this was one of the more quality ones and seemed to be really from Morocco compared to that stuff labelled as such and others from Spain ; nice enough effects and taste but still nothing special at all if given a choice.

Roxy: friendly enough moroccan budtender in his fifties showed us blondish 'Diamond'(9€/g) and more blondish 'Tidghine'(10€/g). He recommended the latter one and told us it won what ever corrupted cup. Nice enough classic gear but lacked a bit in taste.

Solo: Menu wasn't interesting at all so went for 'Holy Grail Kush'(13€/g)from Morocco as we wanted to sit down anyway. Also not bad at all but don't remember much.

El Guapo: Since menu also didn't change compared to a few weeks before we were there I went for 'Bruce Banner'(15€/g)from Morocco(posted a picture here). Another silly name by the way. Sorta fruity taste I can't again explain well and good enough effects. Probably the best moroccan hashish with foreign genetics this trip.

Barney's, Katsu, Original Dampkring( a group prior to our turn bought the rest of available moroccan what ever(15€/g) and Khalis(15€/g). Latter one seemed to be a blackish cream from Morocco I would have given a go but so be it. Budtender told us they will get it back in a few hours but we didn't make it back but I think we survived!), Greenhouse( they had two 'Christmas specials' on, one for moroccan hashish for 6€ stating 'Brings you through Christmas' and one for weed(8€/g)and were shown some other reccomendations from the budtender ; all boring), Resin, Rusland, The Plug, Bagheera(seemed to be linked to coffeeshop Baba now menuwise), Kadinsky, Bluebird(should have gone for some 'Og BlahBlah' hashish from Morocco for 12,5€ per g[roughly a bit more]), Green Place(finally had some more quality moroccan hashish back on the menu for 14€/g but line was almost out of the shop so we just skipped it))and Siberie were visited as well.

All in all a more or less a bit of a disappointment regarding new flavours and general quality of hashish in town this trip but we managed not to go too late this month to avoid Christmas traffic and it indeed was the case, also weather was lovely as cold but sunny. So apart from the gear a lovely relaxed stay in town.

Last edited by NotYourSaviour; 12-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Editing a link
NotYourSaviour is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 PM #173
NotYourSaviour

NotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really niceNotYourSaviour is just really nice
Field research during pandemic(lockdown)

Just a few weeks back from Amsterdam:

'Dampkring II':
Not much new on here too so got me 'Tangerine G-13' supposedly grown in Morocco. Soft, crumbly
and one of those 'grainy' ones you see often regarding this type of quality of foreing genetics in the last years ; darkish and still a pollen.
Sweetish yet stereotype 'sour' background
but pungent smell me also noticed a lot in recent years with those ones(not unpleasant at all but noticeably) ; lightly pressed if at all.
Costs you 14€ a gram and is a nice overall product taste- as well as highwise. Though had a lot of stuff
like this too yet(though rarely at home, haha)so not a standout but a lovely standard of quality it would be at least!

Boerejongens: New stuff here hashwise? Not at all.
Though I noticed their flagship 'Moroc' since years(better: name tag)is now advertised as 'static edition'
so ''Tangerine G13 Static Edition' for a bargain of 20€ a gram it is still then.
Wanted to take a look but it was out so only blinked at 'Kosher Tangie Static' but all my senses got convinced so bought this for 13€ a gram.
Also a darker but barely pressed one coming with an interesting texture(crystallisation almost in full effect, gritty and whitish trichomes all over 'a blackish sea'[piece], lovely contrast).
If I remember right turnt into a very fine
powder when flufffing up.
Static technique indeed perhaps?
So another 'Tangerine BlahBlahBlah' which seems to be the new name tag of recent times but this one was a
delight, delicate and clear sweet taste of foreign genetics and a strong yet very strong body effect with enough 'headiness'.
Reccomended, third place real closely behind the 2nd one when it comes to foreign genetics this trip!

The Plug: were shown all their hashes here despite their 'Tidghine'(10€), which is new on the menu and obviously a traditional one.
'Zombie Kush' was tempting but ordered their 'Phantom Cookies', both supposedly from Morocco and 15€ a gram each.
One mate bought their 'Forbidden Fruit', allegedly too from the Rif for 16€ a gram.
Budtender pointed out all hashes shown were 'filtered' what ever that means but I noticed
while also had stuff like this before all my personal favs this trip were not as oily as others I had before
though still high quality and to some degree generally better than previous high quality ones.
That Phantom Cookies(first picture, see here ) surprised me sorta, goldish and dryish appeareance with a delightful, subtle smell.
The same tastewise but still lovely and coming with very heavy more stony effects after my liking.
Trichomes shining a bit when sunned.
Can't decide where to put this in my personal range at all but definitely at least a special prize this trip.
While we're on it: best hashish this trip is Forbidden Fruit(fifth picture, see here ) as even though not as strong as
the Phantom Cookies it is a tad better overall product with a focus on taste, really pronounced
but less primitevly 'in your face' as the one from Dampkring II above and others of that type, really fruity and strong enough still(more up I'd say).

Bluebird: Indeed had their 'Old School'(third picture, see here ) from Morocco in mind when visiting this time and it was again back on the menu(destiny? Coincedence? Delusion?). Since there was nothing else interesting on for me I bought it. Now it's 0,9g for 12,5€ but about four years back it was 1,1 for the same money.
Anyways, brownish-goldish piece smelt like an very earthy affair and so it was tastewise as well as hints of sweetness leaving a remarkably lovely flavour in one's mouth.
A bit harsh maybe but generally a high quality one.
Calming down the body with a relatively clear head high. Would be welcome any time at home,
second best traditional this time I'd say, cheers!

Solo: Remember looking even at a fruity weed strain but declined. For sure got some 'Tropicana Cookies filtered'(second picture, see here ) supposedly grown in Morocco.
Very bright in the way of this new style of foreign genetics of recent years ; unpressed. Another very sweet one and this sourness(though for some reasons more balanced) and a pleasant delicate aroma again, quite an up high reminding me of my batch of eggs from this spring(foreign genetics ; Moroc )I currently consume mostly at home.
Despite being tasty and generally very good there is a slightly bad point to me as although it's too very strong it is one of those one dimensional highs, just saying.
Another high quality product though here, 2nd place when it comes to foreign genetics this trip!

Greenhouse, Barney's, Bagheera, Kashmir Coffeeshop, Millenium[see comment below], El Guapo, Siberie, De Kroon, Green Place, Flower Power, Kadinsky and Coffeeshop 96 were visited too but couldn't serve what I was looking for. Bummer I missed out Original Dampkring this time as despite being a very commercial place they offer sometimes rare stuff. I think I survived nonetheless and again there is always next time. For sure I'll keep an eye on that!

Additional thoughts(retrospect&prospect coffeeshopwise): since we went during more than halfway through Covid19-lockdown accross Europe it was very interesting to see this city(Note: don't approach me on that pandemic for various reasons, again now it's press on regardless for all of us worldwide ; hope everyone is acting responsibly as we do this for sure no matter what others may think about it, period.).
Over the decades I visited a lot(three-digit range)and always considered it to be one of the busiest places when it comes to city centres of capitals I've experiencied first hand in Europe. Now places like Leidseplein and others were more or less dead as was the rest of the city centre ; let alone the anyway very boring and tourity red-light-district.
Pigeons were chasing a few people down Damrak due to virtually no people around even a few hundred meters and was pissing myself laughing even them depend on tourists but this isn't exclusive to Amsterdam of course as those filthy bastards do the same worldwide!
Expected before to see lots of rip offs at coffeeshops beside the usual ones due to personal experience over the years.
Then the situation on site was a bit different: some shops, mainly in the centre, lowered their prices for a few euro and seemed to treat customers better. Not many new flavours on the menus especially hashwise and when talking to staff they mostly blamed it on the pandemic and 'lockdown situation' ; also some standard items/qualities disappeared from the menu.
Still pissing myself laughing about their reasoning as I think most of them saying so just use up their stash before they refill their stock and waiting for a change to order then as there are seemingly much less customers around(Note: I'm not saying they have big stocks all the time as it often just doesn't work like this with their illegal supply but this is no subject here.) .
Also they opened later and so on. Even some generally well respected places we talked to in the centre reported they lost up to 80% of their customers so even them are depending on tourists a lot if those figures are true anyway(always take stuff from businessmen with a sack of salt as especially trade itsself no matter what goods has a seedy side); while I knew many Dutchies consuming long enough have switched to private sources mainly as we did ages ago too I still was a bit surprised even such places depend so much on tourists
Dutchies are historically traders, right(Rotterdam among other stuff, anyone?)? So they know how to sell and handle markets.
While others expectedly said they have no problem obtaining supplies and this is also my opinon as stated before the pandemic really kicked off in Europe ; drugs in general are such an essential market very unlikely to suddenly disappear, very big money as well.
Especially regarding mid-grades and all that which is a good part of the(ir) business ; high grades on the other hand seem to work a bit differently but has to do with demand and not this pandemic at all, it always was harder to get.
At home I still get the usual mid-grades(just this week got offered some relatively interesting Whatever Kush from Morocco) and it is still difficult to get proper high grade so as I said before if one's area has an average turnover not enough time has passed to notice supply problems if this happens anyway at one time.

Millenium interlude:
While we're on it I have to name and shame a certain shithole here: one mate wanted to visit Kashmir Coffeeshop and as a compromise another mate and myself wanted to go to Millenium situated in the same area. Not that I'm too keen visiting this place as their gear never was special in the past but you never know about changes in a positive way.
We all entered before going to Kashmir and approached the guy(manager? Owner? Sorta had this impression.) at the counter. My mate noticed prices for hashish seemed to have risen as their 'Diamond' used to be 10€ a gram in very recent years but now was 2€ more expensive. Politely asked if it's better quality to be then told 'no, it's not it's the same'. Why more expensive then? Answer: 'Because of the crisis'. Supply problems? Answer: 'No, no problems with that it's about the crisis.'(with a big smile on his face). So you exploit that situation? This was confirmed again with a smile while showing us his standard commercial high grade which is still nice enough but not worth the extra money. Needless to say we said our part and just left. Keep in mind that this is a shop outside of the city centre probably more depending on locals. End of millenium interlude.

Another example of whom people work in this 'industry' ; I really appreciate his honesty though! Nothing new to me personally due to again extended experience with coffeeshops
and there are roughly two groups of people owning coffeeshops: ex-cons or active criminals treating the average customer like a junkie no matter how polite you approach them and straight business men acting as they would not to ; so still a pool of very dubious people.
Both types are of course only in it for the money which would be okay of course but they're not at all interested in legalisation as they know they would be flushed down the loo by big legal players(they are a similar problem but quality and customer's rights would be just much better compared to now). Black and white thinking? Something inbetween? Rarely experiencied! Which means adjusting prices depending on current quality of batches, quality check as far as this is possible in this dutch grey area lawise(they theoretically can sell cut gear and get away with it as it is only tolerated), general respect and not playing name games ; they are well aware of their 'exclusive' market position. So again where is the difference to some random dealer on the black market?

Due to anti-tobacco-laws coming to full effect this year which I heard of already in 2019(coffeeshops might turn into pick-up-only places due to customers not being allowed to smoke on the premises) and this pandemic I can imagine a good bunch will not return to business as usual with people sitting in the shops, let alone if they don't find a grey area to avoid this law(which would be typically Dutch pragmatism again). Just saying as we spent some of the time of this overnighter at Vondel- and Rembrandtpark due to not being allowed to consume on site. Luckywise a mate of a mate brought us there due to legal errands and we could stay at his circle this time on lucky occassion so that was handy for consumption, too ; just couldn't resist this offer.

Not thtat I'm too keen sitting in an average coffeeshop mostly uninspiredly designed for 'buy, order a drink, consume fast and get the hell out of here'. Some quite touristy ones in centres are more focussed on your stay to ripp you off with very overpriced beverages and still can deliver a comfortable and inviting atmosphere though.
Saying all that and despite all critizm regarding their outdated grey area approach and often miserable gear(especially buds)it's a bummer this coffeeshop culture of 'consuming together in public' is going down the drain as especially outside of centres of random dutch towns most people only pick-up and leave anyway.
Also the few new ones opened or the ones got taken over in the last years nationwide are often take-away-places as well
Another sign of times though as it seems this society in general is becoming an indoor thingie in front of what ever screen.
Speculation to some degree all here of course but time will tell.
Just my two cents.

Last edited by NotYourSaviour; 05-27-2020 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Editing links for pictures

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:48 AM #174
GoatCheese

GoatCheese has disabled reputation
Keep those coffeeshop reports coming, NotYourSaviour ..much appreciated.

Haven't been there in 5 years myself but it's always nice too see what's going on in Amsterdam/Holland.
I have a habbit of visiting the coffee shop menus web site and the related forum from time to time but it's nice people can read some reviews on this forum as well

Cheers. Keep up the good work, mate.
GoatCheese is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 PM #175
NotYourSaviour

Checking if everything is in order in 'Dam as usual

@GoatCheese

Kudos to you as well, cheers for the kind words! It's a bit of a bummer that despite it seems there is interest in this thread there is not much interaction/other reports since I started it a couple of years ago. Though you can't push this, can't you?
While I apart from that generally don't report about all our regular visits to the Netherlands for various reasons I can assure you I will keep this thread going as long as possible and report every now and then.
Fingers crossed you'll return one day!

What ever, back from town this week:

Boerejongens:

For some reasons I again chose the supposedly 'double filtered and then static filtered' Tangie G13 at horrendous 20€/g. ]. Different batch this time which means grainy which is similar to some new Morocs with foreign genetics, also barely pressed and tends to fall apart[put up a picture here ]. Quite tasty of 'some grass' again but seemingly sophisticated indeed.
Nonetheless a strong hit especially on the body but too brainwise, particularly in a bong - also smooth. Best foreign genetics this trip.

Original Dampkring:

Were shown Asli(13/14€/g) more on the brighter side, then oily, dark and sticky Khalis(15€/g)and Sensabille(15€/g)which was more of a stable one, all moroccan.
Opted for the Sensabille. Coats one's mouth heavily when it comes to pine and some hard to describe fresh component without being too overpowering my palate like some new Morocs with foreign genetics did in the past sometimes.
More of a Gardella type here I'd say. 'Ticks all the boxes hashish' to me here and easily the best traditional this trip, unfortunately it is coming with a more medium strong up-high but I guess I would prefer that piece of goodness to the one from Boerejongens if I could get my dirty hands on this at home or so. Bummer we didn't make it back here!

The Plug:

Between Phantom Cookies, Jelly and Zombie Kush the latter it was then and it was an good overall product, bit bored already of these new types but again wouldn't refuse having this quality constantly at home. Also supposedly 'double filtered' and from Morocco.

Taste and high were there, simple as that!

Resin, Black Star, Club Media, D&L, Greenhouse[They now sell ok enough looking Amnesia[grass] for 8€/g there now which generally speaking pricewise is not so new these days but for those rip-off-merchants it is to some degree, also these crooks now sell about two or three types of grass for under 10€], El Guapo, Tweede Kamer, Kadinsky, The Store, Bulldog[just a funny glance at the menu but honest mature dealer], Siberie, Barney's , Ibiza, Kashmir, Roxy, Stones and 1eHulp were visited as well but couldn't deliver at all.

Also was introduced to a private source I didn't meet before and we smoked different gear on offer, mostly Morocs with foreign genetics.
Spent some time there so not many places I intended to visit were indeed visited but this wasn't a letdown as we had an interesting conversation with this person[and of course others along the way]about current market situation regarding imported hashish, mainly Morocs.
Especially as I noticed at least about two months ago a beginning of shortage concerning certain grades, all people I talked to blamed Covid19 which makes sense to some degree so not much arrives at the minute and if is horrendously expensive as that certain batch is all over the Netherlands.
Usually it went for approximately 8-10€/g but now I see it for sick 14-18€/g. Oh my!

Many shops told us they're supposedly don't sell it for the usual profit margin as they don't want to lose too many regular customers looking for it – a likely story,
oh those good samaritans!

Current tourist traffic: compared to my not reported trip before it again slowly comes back to normal trafficwise ; though mainly Europeans.

Coffeeshops especially in the centre tend to be rammed and as a customer one has to leave one's address which is inacceptable to me at a semi-legal operation so we just looked for private space or bars(where one has to do the same but I hope you understand our concerns.).
I'd say about half of the coffeeshops let you sit down and the others are still just take-away.

Pricewise it's still not back to normal rip-off-prices but also seemingly it slowly gets there.
Hard to say at the minute if they stick to no tobacco rules which are now in full effect or not but have seen some extra signs saying so.

We'll see!

All in all a lovely trip again even though we had fitful weather but you can't have it all again!

There is always next time!

Last edited by NotYourSaviour; 09-15-2020 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Added a link / grammar

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:21 AM #176
Green81

Green81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to allGreen81 is a name known to all
Notyoursaviour

Hi brother. Great reports and good insights into the coffeshop seen in Amsterdam. Next time im there I will give my 2 cents!
Im mainly interested in the hash seen as the herb in damm is less desirable year on year. And like you said fake US genetics sold for silly money. Hash is No1 in damm for me. I personally like the Creams and the lebanese.

G81
Green81 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:23 AM #177
Cvh

Cvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivorCvh is a survivor
Cvh is offline Quote

Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 AM #178
Stizo

Stizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really niceStizo is just really nice
Last time I went to Amsterdam was about 5 or 6 years a go en route to Mexico. I decided to stop off there as a stop over flight was cheaper so was there for several hours to have a wander round and sample some bud. Walking around I was followed first by two fucking street urchins, clearly looking to mug me so I gave them the slip. Fucking ballsy little shits. I'm not a small fella so they must had something to hold me up with. Then having given them the slip, some big Chinese guy was following me and stopping every time I stopped to look in shop windows or whatever. Eventually he got closer so I turned round and confronted him and he darted in to a crowd of people once he caught wind I was on to him.

That experience and the fact that locals don't want drug tourism there really has put me off going. It's not like it was, kind of magical, rustic and vibey like it was in the late 80s, early 90s and the cost is also too high. It's a shame because I've been going to Holland since I was 10, now in my forties, as my dad used to work over there. It's lost all it's charm and went the way of all over used tourist spots. It's like the Cancun of Mexico now or some shit.

I don't know what Spain is like but I'd be more tempted to go there even though I had some good times in Dam.
I miss the Old Church coffee shop. Had Silver Haze in there in the early 90s. Shit made me slip down my chair. Abraxas was good also.
Stizo is offline Quote