What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reusing coco

Anyone reuse your coco after your grow.
Any Thoughts from people who’ve done it??
Canna says you have to double up on the zyme. Didn’t know if that was a marketing ploy.

It’s actually the top loose coco
I bottom feed from week one of the plants life so the main roots are in the bottom half of my pot. Maybe rinsing it in 6.0 RO water?

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I use a 60/40 used to new ratio. that is used, 60%.

I pasteurize the medium and charge to 0.6 +/- EC for potting.

I use a 60/40 used to new ratio. that is used, 60%.

I pasteurize the medium and charge to 0.6 +/- EC for potting.
Could you explain the process I’m really interested. I have a lot that doesn’t even see wet nutes. If you use coco then you know what I mean. Could I rinse it with 6.0 ph’d ro water or does pasteurization include heating? Thanks for the info

G

Break the rootball up and sift out most of the root fragments (I use a plastic kitchen colander.
Take a container and drill holes in the bottom like a strainer.
Fill with coco.
Flush it with water until you get the salt out (I go for <500ppm
Now soak it in some fresh nutes to re-buffer. I soak it overnight if I can.
Wa-la.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Could you explain the process I’m really interested. I have a lot that doesn’t even see wet nutes. If you use coco then you know what I mean. Could I rinse it with 6.0 ph’d ro water or does pasteurization include heating? Thanks for the info

After harvest, the dried root ball is broken up from the coco,
which is collected with all the previous pots post harvest.

Big root mass is discarded.

Next, the used batch of coco is separated from the DE used
in the res of the hempy cups, then combined with new coco,
and pasteurized in a pot of water for a while.

Then rinsed clear, squeezed dry and reserved for the next run.

Commercial guys use large rice cookers to cook the coco before potting.

Those who don't cook their coco usually get gnats, which is a bad thing.

G

Originally Posted by 40AmpstoFreedom
Doing more reading and one of my mistakes may also have been to use hot water for flushing and buffering my coco. I definitely steamed the hell out of it by adding 120 degree water to kill bug eggs as a preventative. Reading several papers and some good write-ups on canna site that said this can release nitrates which are poisonous and can inhibit N uptake.
I read read a couple negative things about sterilising coco. But I do know of at least one other person who does it without problems I believe.

G

Sifted roots
picture.php

Lyfespan

i have some moms in 3 year old reused, reused, reused coco. bitches are doing great hard to fuck em up unless they get too root bound

growshopfrank

Veteran
Nematodes work acceptably if you are recycling and are shy of sterilizing the media between crops.
This is for controlling fungus gnats FWIW

Latest posts

Latest posts