What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with mini split size

dbmoney

I am building a 8x8 or 10x10 grow room in my garage it will be insulated very well I will have 2 tents in there one for veg one for flower I am going to run 1 mh/hps in each tent 400watt I am wanting to put mini split in the room but dont know what size btu to go with I want the mini split to have an inverter also I am deciding on running c02 havnt made my mind up on this part yet I need help with what size btu to install I know with a house centeral unit if u over size it will cause issues not sure I'f it is the same with a mini split please help

kumo_kuma

2 400 watts? A 12,000 BTU unit would do it easily. Traditionally, growers have figured and 4btu/watt, but I usually go by the ClimaGrow figure of 5.5btu/watt.

kumo_kuma

With the inverter tech, I think you pretty much do away with the shortcomings of oversized whole home units, because you aren't constantly cycling on/off.

Asslover

Veteran
Sounds like he’s trying to cool a room with 2 tents in it? Idk but even with an inverter unit you’d want to size it correctly or it will short cycle...

Really depends on the size of your garage not so much the tents, and where do you live climate wise. Garages are not insulted like indoor living space, even though you say insulated. I wouldn’t do any less than 18,000 btu(1.5 Ton) if larger 2 car garage in south go for 24,000 (2 ton). If you ever get bigger lights or have heat issue you will be sorry you didn’t go bigger. 12,000 btu maybe ok in northern area, but sounds a little small to control light heat and garage heat loads.