What's new

light pipes?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
if this is a dead topic, just let me know. (i tried searching thread titles) i've been reading about "light pipes" , a method being used to bring daylight into interior rooms of buildings not graced with exterior windows. they are basically tubular skylights (coated with reflective material) with diffusers on the interior end, which travel from rooftop collectors through attics into the building. has anyone tried these for small indoor grows? if it would work, you would need no timers or lights, and have no tell-tale heat signature nor electrical usage spikes or suspicious 12 hour cycles. i have found nothing on the net RE this anyplace yet. comments, suggestions, & ridicule all welcome (and expected) lol. i may try to build one myself and try it just out of sheer curiosity...:tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Having experienced these in new builds, I would have to say Lemon. The idea is great, but the reality is you forget they are there. They really should be measured in candle power with single digit results.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Having experienced these in new builds, I would have to say Lemon. The idea is great, but the reality is you forget they are there. They really should be measured in candle power with single digit results.

i have seen no measurements other than one style against another so far. NO measurement of usable spectrum, candlepower etc. thanks...

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You won't see such measures. As one example, a friends internal bathroom uses one, but you couldn't see to pee with it. It lights itself up on the ceiling, so you know it's there if you look up. It just doesn't light anything else. It's just a dim glow in the corner. Barely enough to see that you won't find the light switch, it's not in there, it's outside before you go into the dark.

Latest posts

Latest posts